revision question...

Amanda P.
on 1/7/09 12:30 pm - Salyersville, KY
OK, I had rny 28 mths ago, Lost 120 lbs,but I havent lost any weight since around 10 mth post op. Around the same time I started having eppisodes of major pain just under my ribs that ran across each side and into my back I went to my surgeon and to the e r, a few times they never found anything just that my liver emzimes was high but they hadnt really done much, Everytime I would go my surgeon would be out of town or in surgery or something.  I have now gained right at 50 lbs and desided I had better go see her again and see whats going on. Well shes sending me for tests an upper g i to see if it shows anything. What could this be? Has anyone done this and have to have a revision or what? Or is it me? I feel like Im starving all the time. Im ready to give up and say forget it Ill stay fat.  Also if I do have to have a revision what  are the steps to getting one?  Will I have to go through all the testing and things again? Anyone with any info I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks alot Amanda

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/09 5:11 pm
Have you had your gallbladder out?  Sounds similar to the pain that I had prior to having mine removed.  I had RNY back in 2001, back then it wasnt "standard" to remove the gallbladder, not sure if it is now or not.  Also, I'm not sure about gaining weight due to a bad gallbladder.  Going to the dr is the best choice.  Good Luck
Kerry J.
on 1/8/09 12:01 am - Santa Clara, UT
Amanda,

I don't want to scare you, but the being hungry all the time and the pain make me think of an ulser in your blind stomach. If that's what you have, then an upper GI is useless because your blind stomach can't be accessed. It's one of the problems with RNY, your blind stomach will continue to produce gehrin which is what makes you hungery and you have no way to do anything about it. It could also be that your blind stomach is producing acids that are causing the pain, in any case you really need to get to the bottom of the problem and get it taken care of.

As for a revision, yes you will have to start over. I just had a revision from my 1980 gastric bypass to a DS and I'm loving it. It was a real pain and I had to self pay, but it's also so worth it to not have to deal with all the problems of the old bypass/RNY.

Good luck Amanda, get that pain taken care of ASAP!

Kerry 
Amanda P.
on 1/8/09 1:07 pm - Salyersville, KY
Yes I still have my galblader, but they have ran tests and cant find anything wrong with it.  Thanks for the help...

mystic0619
on 1/8/09 10:03 pm - Moran, KS
Did they do ALL the tests for your Gallbladder?  It took two years for them to discover that my daughters gallbladder was non functioning.  They finally done a Hida scan(sp?). Ask for that test you do not have to have stones for your gallbladder to be bad....
stina1979
on 1/9/09 3:50 am - OH

Hi Amanda,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having pain...  I'm going to side with Kerry J. about possible ulcers?  I actually found out about 3 years ago that I had three bleeding ulcers.  It appears that a procedure that I had done back in 2004 to rectify a bowel obstruction, had left a lot of suture material and evidently caused these ulcers.  Once my doctor went in with a scope to remove the suture material, that resolved the issue for the most part.  I am now on Prevacid Solutab, as I still have burning sensations from time to time...

As for the Revision - I'm in the process of researching and attempting to find a surgeon (somewhat nearby) who perfoms RNY to DS revisions.
I had an LAP RNY in 2001 and lost all of the weight.  Since childbirth in 2006, it's been a RAPID upward gain! 

Best of luck!

Kristina

Kristina
Irem170
on 1/10/09 12:21 pm - Fresno, CA
Hi Amanda,

I have some what the same pain but mine is due to a bleeding ulcer that has taken three years of hospitalization and two blood transfusions to get there attention.  I hope you have faster results than me. Good luck.  Surgery date Jan 14 2009.
Meri
mew6495
on 1/10/09 11:32 pm - MI
 Your hunger may also be caused by a stretched pouch and/or a enlarged stoma.  The upper GI will tell you the size of your pouch.  I would also recommend an endoscopy to check the size of your stoma.

I had a revision from proximal RNY to Extended RNY (shorter cc to 75 cm) last october.  I am very pleased with it.  It's the malabsorption that helps with the long term success.  If it were my original wls I probably would have opted for the DS.  But since it was revision for me, and the elevated risk factors that increase with a revision from RNY to DS I chose the ERNY as I was not comfortable with the possible complications.  Finding a qualified revision surgeon is the most important.   

As far as insurance, I would recommend you contact your insurance company and see what their requirements are.  Each insurance company is different.  I did not have to follow the original requirements for wls with mine.  It had to be medically necessary.  My insurance did pay.  Once you get your testing done it will give you a basis on how to proceed with your insurance.

Good luck.

mskay
on 2/2/09 12:43 pm - chicago, IL
i had the gastric bypass in 2000 i went from 292 to 155 but im 200lbs now and i want to get a revision what's with the extended RNY. i only want to get down to 150lbs. when having a revision like this do you think i will lose more than 50lbs cause thats what i most fear being 120lbs looking sick. i want to choose the revision i want and not having a lot of side effects. i didnt get sick or have any side effects when i had my open. and i know my pouch have stretched now i use to have hunger pains but after i ate they went away this was happening like in 2007-2008. but i dont have them anymore. i might have to self pay. it's a surgeon here that said he do bypass revision for half the price of a revision to ds. put i was in a lot of pain after my surgery because of the long cut and i had a cold at the time .and going through being cut open again is scary because it takes longer to heal. i would have went for the ds too if i would have done my homework back in 2000.
Most Active