Had Revision Surgery Consultation Today

Debbie M.
on 1/7/09 10:55 am
Met with Dr. Rabkin and his staff for close to 4 hours today. Got all my questions answered and we're starting the process.  I've still got to get an echocardiogram, upper GI, bone density test and a trip to the Psychologist. 

They can't do it lap, open surgery takes about 5 hours and sounds like recovery is a pretty interesting time.  I trust him, know he's talented am just going to keep plowing ahead. 
It's all pretty overwhelming - need to digest it all and get my ducks in a row to prepare for a fight with my insurance company.  I always love a challenge.....
Kerry J.
on 1/7/09 11:23 am - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Debbie,

Dr. Rabkin did my revision to DS in Sept. IMO he is the best. You have chosen wisely.

Best regards,

Kerry
ginau
on 1/7/09 12:54 pm - mesa, AZ
Kerry

How are you doing ???  please post us an update... any issue's
I have a friend back in  So Illinois looking into revision. 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Kerry J.
on 1/7/09 8:21 pm - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Jeanna,

I'm doing great, I'm as fine as a frog hair split 4 ways; no real issues other than dealing with my gout, but I had that prior to getting the DS.

The surgery was really difficult; but then I knew it would be, I just didn't realize how difficult. The first surgery took 8 1/2 hours because of all the scar tissue and adhesion's, but what really kicked my butt was the second surgery three days later. I had a scar tissue flap inside my new stomach and it would seal it off so that nothing could get through, so Dr. Rabkin had to go back in and fix that. That second surgery took 4 1/2 hours and I'm told that being under anesthesia for so long is what really causes havoc. I was in the hospital for 8 days and it took me about 6 weeks to really start feeling good. Since then things have been great; I haven't felt this good in years. I can eat and drink like a normal person, just not as much; for example I can drink a glass of milk and it doesn't make me sick! I haven't been able to do that since I had gastric bypass back in 1980! I've lost 65 pounds and I'm really loving my DS. Even with the complications and costs, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Best regards,

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/09 8:40 pm - AZ
Hi Kerry,

I am real happy to see you post. It has been a while. I am so happy that your feeling alot better. I see your post to Jeanna and you don't have to reha**** again. But I am very happy that your doing great. You also had a good surgeon to convert you from your RNY to DS. Just wanted to drop you a note that I am happy for you. Conrad's on your weight loss. See how tricky how scar tissue can mess people up. I have alot of scar tissue my self. But again Happy New Year and glad to see your post.

Dawn

Kerry J.
on 1/8/09 11:34 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Dawn,

How are you doing? I sure hope all is well with you and your fam.

I've been posting a bit, but it's been mostly over on the DS board. The recovery was much more difficult that I had anticipated and I ended up being away from work a lot longer than I had planned on. Being away for so long; I was way behind the curve when I did get back, so I've been pretty buried and am just now getting caught up.

Because of my experiece and weight loss so far, I feel a debt of gratitude to all the people that helped me along the way and to me it seems that the best way to repay that debt is to try and help others that I can help. About the only way I can do that is to post about what I've learned and experienced along the way, so I'm trying to do more of that, now that the rest of my life is getting back to a normal routein.

Thanks for your help and support!

Kerry
Most Active