Confused about Revision

Goldiegirl
on 1/6/09 11:26 pm - Brookfield, CT
My current doc (WONDERFUL MAN), has me scheduled for a revision to my original RNY on Jan. 26th.  We chatted about the best options and I wanted to do the switch or BPD but he is calling it something different.  He is basically saying he is shortening  and reconnecting the limb lower.  The nutritionist is talking about a small pouch again but I am confused.

I thought the switch would leave me with a bigger stomach and not a small one.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Or am I just being a ditz?

Cordially,

Ames
Kerry J.
on 1/6/09 11:58 pm, edited 1/7/09 12:03 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Ames,

I'm not sure, but it sounds like he's talking about a Distal RNY, which is basiclly the same as a DS below your pouch. IMO this is an inferior proceedure to the DS because you will still have all the problems of RNY; namely dumping and a blind stomach that will not be accessable to scope and be subject to ulsers etc. Your blind stomach will also continue to produce gehrin, which makes you hungry and you will not be able to take Advil or any other  NSAIDS drugs.

If you get revised to DS your stomach will be one smaller stomach, not a pouch and a blind stomach, you will also have your plyoic valve back and be able to eat like a normal person.

Your surgeon may be a wonderful man, but if he is going to give you a Distal RNY while you think you're getting a DS, he's also a con man and is doing a bait and switch on you. If that's the case run away while you can and find a real DS surgeon.

Here's a link to another comparison of Distal RNY and DS: http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/ds_vs__rny/ds_vs__rn y.html

I would also suggest you post your question over on the DS board, there are a number of people there that have gone through what you're going through.

This is a major decision and big time surgery; make sure you know what you're doing and what's being done to you before you proceed.

Kerry
larra
on 1/7/09 2:51 am - bay area, CA
Ames, we see other patients with the same story - getting talked out of revision to DS and into a more distal RNY instead, usually by a surgeon who doesn't do the DS (or doesn't do revisions to the DS). And it sounds like he and the nutritionist aren't even on the same page - he's talking about reconnecting the limb lower (in other words, a more distal RNY) and she's talking about a smaller pouch.

Bottom line is that however wonderful his personality may be, and however skillful he may be at RNY, that wasn't what you wanted when you walked in the door. You wanted the DS. There is a lot of confusion about the BPD because the DS is sometimes also called the BPD-DS. In reality they are two very different operations, and the BPD is not being done in the States anymore because it caused nutritional problems and diarrhea. The DS was created to avoid these problems, and it does.

There are a number of excellent DS surgeons who do revisions from RNY to DS. I doubt that your surgeon is one of them. Please come over to the DS forum and start asking questions. If DS is what you really want, we can direct you to the surgeons who do revisions. If you really WANT just a spiffed up RNY, that's up to you - but you already know what success, or lack thereof, you have had with RNY, and what problems, if any, you have had with RNY. Please don't let yourself get talked into something that isn't what you really want just because you like the person doing the talking.

Larra
Most Active