HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 8:14 am - Phx, AZ

I am 6 weeks out from my revision.  My newest problem (which actually began occurring over a year ago) is that I am HUNGRY all the time.  I eat breakfast and then I am hungry less than an hour later.  I eat a snack, then am starving for lunch.  I eat lunch and then MUST eat 1/2 hour-1 hour later.  It is driving me nuts.  This is not HEAD hunger.  My blood sugars are fluctuating due to the eating (not the wrong foods) more frequently than I wish to be. 

Does ANYONE have this issue and if so, what to do about it?????  I am going nuts with eating all the time.

Deanne K.
on 1/6/09 8:24 am - Tucson, AZ
Lizzie,
Try adding a protein drink in between your meals to get your 100-150 gm a day.  It does help.  I notice if I don't eat dense protein, I am like you, I can eat all day.  Dr S says to use low glycemic index fruits and vegtables with your protein to help keep your blood sugars more level.  He told me the flucuations would not get better with the revision, but may be worse for a while as your pancreas still thinks you are a larger person and is still pumping out the same amount of insulin as when you were heavy.  If you look on his ABC's of revison post, I am near the end of that post where he explains it.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/board_id,5360/cat _id,4960/topic_id,3582993/a,messageboard/action,replies/#290 13308

If you are still having problems, don't hesitate to call him, that's what he is there for.
Deanne
JRinAZ
on 1/6/09 11:32 am - Layton, UT
On January 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, Lizzie wrote:

I am 6 weeks out from my revision.  My newest problem (which actually began occurring over a year ago) is that I am HUNGRY all the time.  I eat breakfast and then I am hungry less than an hour later.  I eat a snack, then am starving for lunch.  I eat lunch and then MUST eat 1/2 hour-1 hour later.  It is driving me nuts.  This is not HEAD hunger.  My blood sugars are fluctuating due to the eating (not the wrong foods) more frequently than I wish to be. 

Does ANYONE have this issue and if so, what to do about it?????  I am going nuts with eating all the time.

Lizzie,
Consider checking your blood sugars.  You are sounding hypoglycemic as am I.

Hunger can happen for a couple of reasons (if you have eaten recently).  1.  drinking with meals or too soon after which pushes the food through and leaves us emptry or 2.  eating foods that spike us and then make us dive.

You can battle it with:  low glycemic fruits or veggies paired with a lean protein.  NEver eat carbs without balancing with a protein.  The protein slows the reaction of the carb.  The body receives fruits and all carbs the same way it receives sugar sooooo it can spike then dive.

Good options:
Apple slices and peanut butter
pear and cheese stick
hard boiled egg and half banana
cottage cheese and peaches
yogurt and whole wheat toast
deli turkey slices with dill pickles
almonds and berries

Check with your doc?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/09 5:20 pm, edited 1/6/09 5:21 pm - AZ
I was told by my surgeon that if you eat high carbs they just make you more hungry and want to eat. So I try to stay away from that. Like Deanne said try a protein drink in between. You sound like me but try to watch the carbs and I think you will notice a difference. Please don't go nuts we are here to help you and support you. If you need anything just PM me and I will help in anyway.

Most Active