Update on my Band Over Bypass Revision...Any Others Willing To Share????

Binxalways
on 1/5/09 12:28 pm - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi everyone!  I had a lap band placed over my existing RNY on 7/30/08, and I know that there are some others out there who have had this also.  I was just wondering how all of you are doing??? 

It has taken me 5 fills to achieve what I *think* is restriction.  I have only lost 22 pounds since my revision journey began, but considering I didn't feel restriction until 12/30/08 I'm not too disappointed.  Hopefully, now the weight loss will pick up a little!

I am just wondering how others out there are doing, and if you are happy with your decision to get the band over bypass as your revision?  What have your experiences been like?  If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask! 

Sincerely,
Elizabeth    
robinjoy
on 1/6/09 12:47 pm

Hi Elizabeth--I am planning the same surgery later this month.  I'd love to hear more about your experience.  After my RYN I had practically no interest in food for a good 6 mos or so.  The problem was that if I didn't eat I got really shaky and weak so I made of habit of going for the "quick fix"--crackers, chips etc.  After a couple years of that I have gained back about 35 lbs.  I now need to lost 80 instead of 50!  My insurance has miraculously approved the procedure but I am leery to have another surgery if I will not get that "honeymoon" period again.  I promise not to screw it up this time!  My question is did the band surgery give you the same "no interest in food" that the RYN procedure did at the beginning?

How long is it before you got your first fill?
Thanks for the info and good luck to you.

robin

Binxalways
on 1/7/09 5:01 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi Robin!  Unfortunately, I have always struggled with head hunger, and I tend to emotionally eat, so my interest in food was there during my first surgery (the RNY) and has been there during my revision surgery (band over failed bypass) up until I finally felt some restriction!  Also, during my first surgery I baffled my surgeon by losing more weight during the 2nd 6 months than the first 6 months after surgery.  It was like I never experienced a true honeymoon period.

So, the good news is that now that I am feeling restriction with the lap band I don't have as much interest in food, however, it has taken 5 months to get there - But for me it has been worth the wait.  So far the band is working as a better tool than the RNY surgery did. 

I received my first fill 1 month after surgery, and I have received a fill each month after that for a total of five fills.  Some surgeons are more aggressive and give larger fills, my surgeon goes slowly, which has been good for me because it has given me plenty of time to change my eating habits.

When is your surgery scheduled for?

Sincerely,
Elizabeth 
robinjoy
on 1/7/09 10:57 am
Thank you so much for the info and congratulations!!  I am estatic to hear you say that you're happy with the band.  It seems that the more I read the more confused I get.  My surgery will be at the the end of the month--no specific date yet. I absolutely can't stand the office manager.  She and I have some history from my first surgery 4 yrs ago so she is making me stress a bit.  Love the Dr. so I won't go to another one but I do think I will let my displeasure with her be known.

Noone has said anything about a 2 wk liquid diet pre-surgery.  Is that pretty much the standard?   You must have lost a bunch during that period.  What was the diet post-op?

btw--your baby is beautiful

Robin
Binxalways
on 1/8/09 8:38 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi Robin!  My pre-op liquid diet was about 2 weeks, and I hated every second of it!  LOL  If I were you I would call the Dr's office - Try to avoid the office manager if possible - haha - and double check to see if they require a 2 week pre-op liquid diet.  You might be lucky and not have to do it for that long.  Do you have any upcoming visits with your surgeon where you can go over all of the things that you need to do pre-op?  That would be a good chance to find out if you need to do a bowel prep, weeks of liquid diet, etc.

My post-op diet was clear liquids, then full liquids, then soft foods, etc.  I found the post-op diet with the band over bypass revision to be much different than the post-op diet with my original RNY because it was less invasive.  The surgeon moved me through the food stages faster than if it was a RNY revision.  But again, each surgeon is different so your post-op diet might be different. 

I need to add more pictures to my profile!  My son is almost 18 months now, and I think he's even more beautiful!  haha     He is definitely my pride & joy.  I am hoping to be thin / self-confident enough by this summer to take him swimming, to the park, to the zoo, you know...all those fun places he deserves to go with his mama!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth  
Most Active