What do I tell the doc?

Fatfreedom
on 1/5/09 10:13 am - NH
I have no clue what to say.

I am pretty sure my weight regain was my fault.  If I get the chance, I plan to never make the mistake again.

I need a revision to my bypass.  I gained all my weight back.

I don't know what to say to the surgeon.  I gained the weight back because I had two kids and never lost the weight I gained, and I eat crappy?

What the heck do I say?  Help!  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/09 10:27 am - Togo
Didn't you post this question before?!

You can not tell the doctor anything that will convince him to perform wls on you. The tests and reports are the bulk of what will make his decision. Not charm, not a sobbing story, not begging. Facts.

After the facts, he will look at you and determine if you are, in his mind, a person who will cooperate with him, do as he tells you to do, and succeed with the surgery. Performing surgery is hard work. He doesn't want someone who is going to waste his time. 

Getting this surgery is not about bs'ing the doctor. Be straight and honest with him. Tell him about yourself as you yourself see it. 

Fatfreedom
on 1/5/09 10:46 am - NH
I was not implying my intent was to figure out a way to BS the doc, but thank you for inferring that.

Seeing as I have no clue if I have any sort of mechanical failure I just did not know what to say to the doc.

And, to answer your other questions-I have my surgeon info and have received info from other HELPFUL, POSITIVELY INFORMATIVE members.  I am following the procedure to get my consult set up.

Thanks for your concern...........
Nita S.
on 1/5/09 11:29 am - Avondale, AZ
Don't beat yourself up.  I too thought that I broke my tool and started to regain.  I now realize that sometimes the tool just breaks.  I have a stretched stoma, and my original surgery was stated as being a proximal bypass with 75 cm bypassed, after my revision I found out that that was  not even close, maybe about 30 cm.  I was living on pure restriction for 5 years and when that failed (as it sometimes does) I had nothing to fall back on.  Did I make bad choices, yep, were they bad enough to gain back 100 pounds?  Not on your life.  And all this and I didn't have 2 children.  Be honest with the doctor.  You may just find that when he does some testing that your tool may need a tweak.  I love my revision, and I know that I now have  a second chance to get it right.  You can too.  Good luck and never give up the fight for health.  Especially you have 2 little ones counting on you, you deserve a second chance also and so do they.  If your doctor is too critical or blames you, find a new doc.  You do not need a doctor that is not behind you 110 percent and will do exactly what you need to help you on your journey. 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Fatfreedom
on 1/5/09 9:58 pm - NH
Thanks so much, Nita.  I am so happy to hear your revision is going well!  Do you mind telling me what you had re-done?
gain-it-back2
on 1/6/09 12:45 am
hello, when did you have the first rny and how much weight did you gain back. do most insurance paid for a second surgery.......
Fatfreedom
on 1/6/09 11:07 am - NH
I have not been on a scale in a few months, but if I did not gain all my weight back (almost 93 pounds originally lost) then it is very close.

When I was weighed a few months ago I was about 25-30 pounds away from my highest, but my clothing size was back to where I was pre-surgery.  I had the gastric bypass 12/03.

I have heard some insurance pays and some doesn't.  Supposedly I am covered, but I am not 100% sure yet.

Lots of luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/09 10:32 am - Togo
Do you have any consultations set up? Any appointments? If you do, who are the doctors and what are the dates? I ask because doctors differ in how they treat their patients. You may get a better answer here on the board if you say who the doctor(s) is. Maybe someone who is familiar with the doctor(s) can give you good feedback. 

ginau
on 1/5/09 11:52 am - mesa, AZ
Be Honest, be sincere.be committed......

Be willing to address  the  things you are willing to do to  loose the weight!  Surgery is only one part of the  Solution. You have to be the other part. 

So......... Make the commitment to get into counseling,  join the fitness club ,  clean the pantry. Start making the changes  you need to make ..  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Fatfreedom
on 1/5/09 9:59 pm, edited 1/5/09 9:59 pm - NH
Sounds good!  All things I AM committed to do.  Thank you!
Most Active