Expired Post

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/09 10:31 am, edited 8/10/09 2:59 am - DFW area, TX

Expired Post

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/09 2:24 pm, edited 1/4/09 2:27 pm - Togo
An interesting post. Always good to see someone stand up and speak their mind. To disagree with the way things are and have a different opinion. it is enriching. enlightening.

I agree with some of what you say. it is good to point out that they are paying for their advertisement so be careful of what they say. check them out and get the nitty gritty on them.

i also wish that obesityhelp listed all the doctors in a more convenient format.

it is also true that some of the doctors listed have little experience or are just getting started.

BUT -

many that are on the list and advertise do have much experience and have been around for a long time. there are a few doctors listed that i know of who are ground breakers in the field of wls and very good surgeons. noteworthy not only in the obesityhelp.com world or in their town, but around the world. There are two doctors on the list who i am familiar with who travel as far away as europe to give talks. they have patients from around the world coming to do their surgery with them. 

for myself i was not knowledgeable about the doctors at all in the very beginning. and if they hadn't advertised or put themselves out there i wouldn't have found them. so i am thankful they do advertise themselves. they are,  after all, a business. And like any business, they advertise.

so i thank you for your post. it is always good to hear a different point of view and get a 'heads up' to something. always good to have someone point out the 'fine line print' type of info that many times gets overlooked.

Madcow
on 1/5/09 12:41 am - MA
A good alternative resource is the Association of  Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons.   You can do a search of its members but it lists all (I think) bariatric surgeons by state. 

http://www.asmbs.org/

240/140/138
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/5/09 7:39 am
This is a great post. When I was doing my initial research, I learned many of the so-called DS surgeons on that list didn't actually do the DS! They advertised that to get me in the door, then if I persisted, it turns out it wasn't really an option with them. I've since learned the term is "bait and don't swicth" which is a surprisingly common experience for DSers.

It's good to know about the lists here on OH. Just because the surgeon is there, doesn't mean their info is true, only that they were willing to pay for an ad.
Most Active