considering revision...wondering if i'm a candidate

Laura M.
on 1/4/09 9:41 am - Providence, RI

Hi all, I'm new to this board.  

i was banded in april of 07...i lost close to 50 lbs, but i'm back up 20.  i will admit my failure to keep up with seeing my surgeon.  life got in the way, and i think i just gave up.  i had an awful experience with an overfill, had an unfill, and it's been bad every since.  i get stuck frequently, i have reflux, i have pain in in my upper left stomach, under my ribs.  i know that the first step is to see my surgeon.  i plan on calling tomorrow for an appointment in late january (i leave for a vacation on thursday, so earlier is not an option).

bottom line, i don't think the band is for me.  i hate it.  i hate getting stuck, and i especially hate the unpredictability.  sometimes i can eat certain foods just fine, other time forget it.  i am diligent about chew chew chewing, to no avail.  i might go 4 days with eating "normally", then i can barely get down something mushy.  the back and forth of the fills is also not for me.  i've been considering revision for many months.

currently, i have about 85lbs to lose.  i have a bmi of 38.8, and i have BCBS of Ri, the bluechip plan.  i've spent a few hours reading back on the board, and i still wonder if i'd be a candidate for revision.  i'd love to hear experiences from other bandsters, and especially the experience of those with BCBS.

Thanks 

~Laura~

fortworthgal
on 1/5/09 1:42 am - Fort Worth , TX
Hi, You need to check with your policy to see if they cover the surgery if your BMI is below 40. Mine covers it with a BMI between 35-39.9 with comorbidities. My BMI was around 37. Make sure you get it in writing. You might find the brochure online or ask your company for a brochure. All BCBS is not the same. Your employer decides what they want to cover and what they dont.
I hated my band too and am so happy I got a revision.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

Most Active