Distal RNY Recommended over DS - why?

amai
on 1/4/09 4:49 pm - Japan
 Hi - I am having a conversion from lap-band to Distal RNY in 2 weeks, but now am having second thoughts about getting a DS instead. 
I am 39, 5'4". 250, have a recent hx of ulcers, but other than that, not many health issues. I have never been a huge over eater, I think my genes are just wacky, and have dieted too much in my life and so find myself at this high weight. 

My surgeon recommended Distal RNY over DS, although he said he would happily perform the DS if I prefer. 

Why would he recommend the Distal RNY over a DS? I have been reading so many posts that I think I am overwhelmed, and can't seem to make sense of the recommendation now. I will talk to him once I get a chance, but do any of you have any idea why a surgeon would suggest a distal rny ove a DS? Is it the DS malabsorption piece? Is the RNY an easier surgery? Is it that the RNY is the 'gold standard' (what does that mean, anyway?)

If I regain after DS, what are my options? How about if I regain after a distal RNY? 

Thanks for your help, everyone! 

mew6495
on 1/5/09 5:40 am - MI
Perhaps your doctor doesn't feel that your BMI is high enough or that you have a great deal to loose.  I know there are many doctors *****quire you have a very high BMI for the DS.  Your best bet would be to ask him his reasoning....

Hang in there, you will get it figured out.... 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/5/09 7:33 am
Absolutely not. If you meet the requirements for the RNY, they are the same for the DS.
If you have ulcers, that is another reason to not go with the RNY, but the DS.
The DS is a harder procedure to perform, so fewer surgeons perform it, and ones who do, can do several RNY's or bands in the same period of time, so they actually make less doing a DS.

The DS has far better weight loss and weight maintenance statistics. There are many RNY to DS revisions, but not DS to RNY. There's a reason for that. Save yourself the trouble, and make sure you only need one surgery. Please feel free to ask any questions at the DS board as well, since they are a well informed, helpful group.
JRinAZ
on 1/6/09 4:25 am - Layton, UT
On January 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
Absolutely not. If you meet the requirements for the RNY, they are the same for the DS.
The DS is a harder procedure to perform, so fewer surgeons perform it, and ones who do, can do several RNY's or bands in the same period of time, so they actually make less doing a DS.

The DS has far better weight loss and weight maintenance statistics. There are many RNY to DS revisions, but not DS to RNY. There's a reason for that. Save yourself the trouble, and make sure you only need one surgery. Please feel free to ask any questions at the DS board as well, since they are a well informed, helpful group.
the DS is not reversable.  Cutting away stomach is permanent.
Rny'ers can be reversed/revised.
DS'ers disappointed in weight loss certainly do exist but what options of revisions do they have?  One friend wondered if her sleeve part of her DS could be banded to improve restriction?  Or  could the common channel of the DS be shortened?

....just wondering...

I wish I would have had a DS the first time around and not been at such a high risk with the revision round which eliminated my option again...........I took the hand that was dealt me and am working it as an Erny.

Research - research - research
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/6/09 4:58 pm
On January 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On January 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:

the DS is not reversable.  Cutting away stomach is permanent.
Rny'ers can be reversed/revised.
DS'ers disappointed in weight loss certainly do exist but what options of revisions do they have?  One friend wondered if her sleeve part of her DS could be banded to improve restriction?  Or  could the common channel of the DS be shortened?

....just wondering...

I wish I would have had a DS the first time around and not been at such a high risk with the revision round which eliminated my option again...........I took the hand that was dealt me and am working it as an Erny.

Research - research - research
That's not accurate. The intestinal part of the DS is completely reversible, and can be done fairly easily to adjust malabsorption, but is rarely needed (less than 1%).
I've never heard of anyone even wanting the DS (sleeve) stomach reversed, as it stretches over time, and you can eat a fairly normal sized meal. And that remnant stomach left with the RNY is NOT a benefit, as it can't be scoped, is prone to ulcers (so no NSAIDS) and adhesion's, and keeps cranking grehlin (the stomach produced hunger hormone) into your system.
There are plenty of people who had both bands and RNY who had too much damage to the stomach, or the pyloric valve atrophied, and couldn't be revised or restored.
There are several regular posters on the DS board who have been quite vocal about not being able to revise to a DS, due to damage from previous surgeries (particularly the band, as many get it thinking it's less invasive, and supposedly reversible).
Most Active