revision - lap or open?

amai
on 1/3/09 11:37 pm - Japan
 Hello. 
I am having a conversion from a lap-band to RNY this month. I am interested about the risks of both ways, and if anyone has any comments about these choices. 
Thanks!
amai
on 1/3/09 11:39 pm - Japan
 Sorry, I meant the risk of open conversion vs. laporscopic conversion!  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

happy girl
on 1/4/09 12:46 am
mostly it's up to the surgeon.  I know plenty of pts who have had their revisions done lap, mine was open and I was fine, I was in the hospital 4 days and my recovery was ok.  I think the revision adds a level of complexity to the surgery but lap vs open is really down to the surgeon.  I've never had a Lap surgery so I don't know what I am missing :-)

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/09 2:12 am
I'm not sure of the risk comparisons...I had Lap RNY and Lap Gallbladder removal and I was still in pain afterwards.  BUT, everyone handles pain differently.  I would think that Lap recovery time would be less, but keeping in mind that on the inside, they have still done the same thing no matter how they got in there.
fortworthgal
on 1/4/09 2:20 am - Fort Worth , TX
I think its up to the doctor. My revision was lap although  a couple of weeks later when it was discovered that I had deep blood clots in my abdomen, I had to have 3 more operations, one of which was open. Open surgery is rough.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

lisabelll
on 1/4/09 4:28 am
When I originally looked into revision I had decided I wanted a laproscopic surgery and a band.  Well with my hernias and gastric fistula my surgeon is doing open and a revision of the pouch (and fixing the fistula and hernias).  I agree, it will be up to the surgeon.  I had tried to talk the surgeon into not fixng the hernia and doing lap instead.  He agreed but told me if he had to do open he would fix the hernia.  I decided to go ahead and get the open done and fix the hernia so imagine my surprise that when they called me for pre op to tell me that I was having lap surgery but "probable open" I guess he really thought it would be open after all!!!
mew6495
on 1/4/09 8:05 am - MI
 I have had both lap and open procedures in the past.  Lap you do heal from faster.  My revision was done open and I wanted it that way do to the complexity and the higher risk level.  Also the surgeon was able to see and fix quite a bit that he wouldn't have been able to if he had done lap so I was very pleased with this.  I was in the hospital for 2 days.  Pain was very manageable.  

Most Active