Malabsorption and Emotions?

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/09 8:20 am - Phx, AZ
Howdy All:

I have always had depression, etc... excessive irritability, inability to cope, extreme depression/bouts of hyperactivity, been on meds (even diagnosed by one doc as Bi-Polar and taken Lithium and Tegretol, which almost killed me)...  So, I do have "moments" of "normalcy"... if in fact I do know what NORMALCY is???

Since my RNY, tho, 4 years ago, I find that I am more excitedly irritable and irrational, and even moreso as of late... perhaps the most recent bout being post-op craziness and depression.  I know I need to find a good psych for an accurate diagnosis.

BUT... has anyone, post-surgically, had MORE problems with emotional well-being?  Is this/Can this be attributed to malabsorption?  Am I going nuts??  Or is this just me?  Certainly, no one knows me... but if you have noted this, please reply.  My dearest husband, who is the most patient of all men to walk the earth, even better than Abraham or Moses, would certainly like to know as well.

Crazily,
Lizzie G
SheriAZ
on 1/2/09 10:14 am
Hi Lizzie forgive me if I am not up to speed but did you just have a revision? I found myself alittle more weepy than usual since surgery My Dr did not take me off my Prozac except for the day of surgery and than suggested that I double the strength because of the malabsorbtion which I did I am feeling better but I know what you mean
Deanne K.
on 1/3/09 10:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Lizzie,
I sure wish I could answer your questions.  I have that same question, but with other medications regarding malabsorption.  It was on my list last month to ask Dr. S, but I went out of his office without the answer to that question.  I know I need to ask him, but if you get to him first, please post and let us know.  I know it's going to depend on the person, but I am sure, since your revision, you are malabsorbing more than we realize.

You may just need to talk with your physician for a dosage change.
Deanne
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/4/09 8:21 am
Well, I'm not a doctor, and don't even have a RNY, but that is something I've wondered about.

Since the RNY has most malabsorption in the stomach (as the pyloric valve is removed, most of the stomach is stapled off, and you use a "pouch"), affecting things like iron and the B vitamins, and they are absorbed in the stomach, as opposed to the intestines.

It would seem like any meds that need to be absorbed in the stomach would be malabsorbed. I don't know where most depression meds get absorbed in our systems, but I'd sure ask a doctor that was familiar with WLS patients.
Most Active