Three to 10 days in the hospital then 2 weeks recovery???

lisabelll
on 12/31/08 5:29 am
I am scheduled for an open revision to my bypass on 1/6,  at that time he is also going to repair my hernia (a surgical umbilcal hernia from the last bypass 15 yrs ago).I spoke with the surgeon and asked him how long he thought my hospital stay would be and he said 3 to 10 days    I asked him if he could narrow that down and he said that was as specific as he would get.  I was thinking 3 to 4 days tops!  Guess I am glad to know to prepare myself for the long haul. 

Then when asked how long until I could return to work he said 2 weeks    I then tried to explain that at work I lift things (although not a major part of my job I am by myself and no one else can do it) and he said (of course) I couldn't lift over 20 lbs.  OK, so I could be in the hospital for 10 days but only need 2 weeks to recover from OPEN bypass and hernia repair???  I was thinking 4 to 6 weeks.  I mean I need an FMLA to keep my job open so my work will know I am allowed to return that quickly.  It just seems soon.  I remember the last time not feeling myself for WEEKS!!!!  And back then I wasn't working.  Do you think I am just being a baby???  Well, I know I am being a baby about staying in the hospital so long, but I can deal.  But really will I feel well enough to work in 2 weeks????
Nita S.
on 12/31/08 6:49 am - Avondale, AZ

I would ask the doc again!!!  I would have thought that the 6 weeks option when you do some lifting at work would have been what you needed.  I had my revision open last November and I was told 6 weeks and I am a stay at home wife.  Be very careful or you could do more damage than good by going back top work that soon.  Also I had 4 hernias repaired the same day as my revision (Open) and I went home in about 36 hours.  Are there any other things being done that would make them keep you that long??  Good luck and a healthy New Year to you.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

lisabelll
on 12/31/08 10:26 am
See, I was totally thinking 6 weeks off work.  I don't do much lifting but what I have to do there is no one else in the room to help with.  I even tried to explain that and he was like no lifting period.  Ok then, I will just tell them I can't do my job and quit, fine.  Ugh, frustrating!!  Ok vent over.

They are putting in a gastronomy tube into my (how do you say???) non used part of my stomach and I will have drainage tubes.  He doesn't plan to move any intestines, just make the pouch smaller and fix the fistula (if he can even find it, the endoscope Dr didn't see it) and repair the hernias probably with mesh (or so it said).

He was just so certain about the two weeks I thought maybe I was being a baby, ya know???  I mean I was thinking 4 weeks minimum, I don't remember how long it took me to feel better last time but I am thinking it was more then 2 weeks and the complication rate is so much higher and healing can be slower.  

Ugh, what am I getting myself into????
MsDeniseinPA
on 12/31/08 12:05 pm - PA
I had an open RNY to my VBG.  I was in the hospital for only 2 days.  However, I've been home from work since.  Dr. will discuss me returning to work at my next appointment on 1/14.  Truthfully, up until the end of last week I couldn't imagine being able to work full-time.
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/08 7:45 pm
I'm prettys sure that your FMLA can be extended by your dr at any time.  So, originally he gives you two weeks, he can add days or weeks to it as he sees fit.

2 weeks off to me doesnt seem long enough, I had lap RNY in 2001, and I was not able to work for about 6 weeks, but I had to get b12 shots which helped so much.

Good luck to ya!
ginau
on 12/31/08 11:28 pm - mesa, AZ
Lisa

I had the same procedure, I was in hte Hospital only  24 hrs - I know I know !  But I wanted to leave - I knew I would get more rest at home than in the hospital and a close friend is a nurse and I did  great on my home,    ~~ I will say the more you walk the sooner you will start to feel better.  

I did take the 6 weeks off .. it's easier to  get a release to go back to work than it is to get them to give you more time off..   I would  propose that to your Dr .. Give me 6 weeks and if I feel I can go back sooner you can give me the release to return !!  I believe FMLA can cover up to 3 months ??  also you might want to be put on intermitant fmla - just in case you  need to take a few extra days off  later on when issue's arise 

Question -  What kind of revision are you doing ? 

Take care and feel free to P.M.  me if I can help you in any way 

Gina  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

lisabelll
on 1/1/09 4:23 am, edited 1/1/09 4:24 am
I talked with my boss explaining how the dr was only giving me 2 weeks for recovery and she was amazed.  She said she had a hysterectomy and was out for 2 months.  With my work I can actually take up to 3 months off for "personal" reasons and still be able to get my job back.  I am still just stupified that I could be in the hospital for 10 days but only need 2 weeks to recover???  
Even after I told him I have to lift things!!! 

I have decided that I am going to take off at least 6 weeks from the day of surgery.  I think he is calculating from release date, but seriously, I will already be off work to be in the hospital, LOL!  He couldn't possibly mean be in the hospital for 10 days and 4 days later return to work!  They just must understand it differently.

I only work 4 hrs a day 4 days a week and mostly it is at a computer.  The problem is I have about 45 minutes of that time lifting (even light things, but all that bending!!!!) and moving stuff around. 

I really can't get over that 2 week recovery thing.  He has said that this isn't like the original that is why the stay is longer (no sooner then 3 days).  But the recover sounds like what they would give for laproscopic not open, know what I mean???

ETA, I won't get paid for any of this time either way.  I don't work enough hours per week to qualify for short term disablity and we don't get sick days.  I am using up the rest of my vacation (only about 20 hrs) and the rest is without pay.  So it isn't like I am trying to milk the system, I just want to be healed before I go back to work!
Pam K.
on 1/1/09 10:28 am - Aurora, IL
With FMLA you can take 12 weeks off within a one year time period and they have to hold your job.  You can take 1 day a week or shortened days, or hours as written by your physician. 
If you don't give yourself time to heal you will end up with a  much bigger problem!
lisabelll
on 1/1/09 10:46 am
On January 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Pacific Time, Pam K. wrote:
With FMLA you can take 12 weeks off within a one year time period and they have to hold your job.  You can take 1 day a week or shortened days, or hours as written by your physician. 
If you don't give yourself time to heal you will end up with a  much bigger problem!
See this is the problem.  I was thinking 6 to 8 weeks, the Dr is saying 2!!!  I mean, come on, 2 weeks for OPEN surgery???   Either way I am not getting paid so why am I risking it going back so early????
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/09 8:31 am - Phx, AZ
Lisabell...

I am 6 weeks out from hernia and revision surgery.  I am a school bus driver, so don't lift too much, but driving a 40 foot long huge bus requires abdominal strength (depending on the age of the bus).  I am scheduled to go back to work next Tuesday when school resumes, and I am nervous about that because of pain issues.

I don't know who your doctor is... but is he NUTS?  2 weeks???  At 2 weeks I went to Costco, ended up with the "runs", and barely could walk to the potty... ended up using an electric wheelchair...  If I were you, and I was 6 weeks ago...think about staying home for the suggested 6 weeks; as that is what I (and many others) have done.  It is only this past week that I feel I can begin life anew.  The hernia repair is difficult enough, and from what I read beforehand, is painful to recuperate from, as the abdominal muscle is cut and stretched closed...

Then there is the revision.  You will experience new and interesting things with your bowels and intestines... and in my opinion, because I am going thru it, would not wish to be further than a hallway away from a bathroom, OR around anyone whom I remotely like.  Also, Walmart sells purse-size Lysol sprays at the register...unless you go potty around someone you hate.  ha ha.

This is just my opinion...  I completed FMLA paperwork to secure my position.  HR said that it was best to ensure legalities in returning to work.

I truly hope that you have a successful surgery and recuperation.  Take the time you need to fully regain your strength.  I will be thinking of you.

Lizzie
Most Active