almost 22 years post op with rny gastric bypass

arleenbernicewalters
on 12/30/08 2:24 pm - moss point, MS
Can anyone reccommend a reputable bariatric surgeon who would do revision of my surgery?  I believe I might have staple line disruption but my family doctor and general surgeon have not found anything out of the norm thru upper gi, ct scan, barium swallow.  I maintained my weight for 15 years after losing 104 lbs.  Since several episodes of excrutiating pain in 2000 and 2003, I have gained 45 lbs, eat  twice as much, and no longer suffer with any discomfort if i gulp my food.  I kept a food diary for 3 months, eating less than 1000 calories a day and only lost 3 lbs.  Before 2003, i could lose 7 lbs in 30 days with little effort.  Something is wrong but they haven't found it.  I honestly don't believe they know what to look for.  Are there any reputable surgeons close to South Mississippi or will I need to go to Houston?  Would a scope help detect a problem? The original surgery in 1987 was one of the firsts in this area and the youngest at 29, but the doctor has died and his records destroyed so the exact procedure done is unknown. Thanks
pepsi98
on 12/30/08 11:23 pm - Norwich, CT
On December 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM Pacific Time, arleenbernicewalters wrote:
Can anyone reccommend a reputable bariatric surgeon who would do revision of my surgery?  I believe I might have staple line disruption but my family doctor and general surgeon have not found anything out of the norm thru upper gi, ct scan, barium swallow.  I maintained my weight for 15 years after losing 104 lbs.  Since several episodes of excrutiating pain in 2000 and 2003, I have gained 45 lbs, eat  twice as much, and no longer suffer with any discomfort if i gulp my food.  I kept a food diary for 3 months, eating less than 1000 calories a day and only lost 3 lbs.  Before 2003, i could lose 7 lbs in 30 days with little effort.  Something is wrong but they haven't found it.  I honestly don't believe they know what to look for.  Are there any reputable surgeons close to South Mississippi or will I need to go to Houston?  Would a scope help detect a problem? The original surgery in 1987 was one of the firsts in this area and the youngest at 29, but the doctor has died and his records destroyed so the exact procedure done is unknown. Thanks
I hear you...I had gastric stapling in 1982, lost 120lbs and then proceeded to gain it all back.  Fast forward to now on 12/10 I had a new surgeon put a lap band over my old bypass and am recovering well.  Weight loss will be slower, but that is ok.  I would think an Upper GI would tell them  pretty much all they need to know about your pouch.

Good luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/08 7:22 am - TX
Dr Husted is in KY and an expert in revisions.  He did mine.  he also has been featured on 2 shows on Discovery channel.  Talk to him about a DS.
Amanda P.
on 12/31/08 4:43 pm - Salyersville, KY
This sounds alot like my story. I am 2 yrs and 4 mths post op rny. When I was 10 mths out I started having major pain, they still havent found anything. I started gaining around a yr out and have now gained 40 - 45 lbs. I am looking into a revision to the DS. I have heard alot of good things about Dr. Husted and since I live in Kentucky Im going to give him a call. Hopefully we'll get fixed. Good Luck

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/08 5:41 pm - TX
You won't go wrong with Dr Husted.  He is amazing.  I lived in IL when I had my DS, saw him in Nashville, and followed him out to San Francisco to have my surgery.  I would have followed him to Russia if that's what it took. 

Good luck.
Most Active