Brand new to the site and glad to be here!!!

cakebaby59
on 12/30/08 7:43 pm - Jamestown , ND
Hello all!  I'm cakebaby59 and very glad to meet you.  I had gastric bypass surgery in 2000 and maintained about a 100 pound weight loss for 5 years.  Then in 04 my Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer...in 05 my younger brother was also diagnosed with terminal cancer.  He died about 5 weeks after he was diagnosed and Dad followed him in 4 months.  Also in that same space of time I had a complete hysterectomy and made a major move/job change.  So...within a few months of the move I regained about 60 pounds.  Now...I have sense enough to know that I flew off the stressor scale that year...and in those cirsumstances most anyone would do one of two things...gain or lose weight...wasn't I the lucky one to gain!!!  LOL.  So...here I am...3 years into the regaining and now with a ruptured disk in my back and on a med. to control blood sugar.  Am I a decent canidate for revision or should I just forget it? 
" When you are down and out, lift up your head and shout, BUY ME A PRESENT!!!"
Nita S.
on 12/31/08 1:57 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi there Cakebaby59,

I too had my original surgery in 2000.  I kept off 130 pounds for 5 years and after my hysterectomy gained back 100 pounds.  I had my revision just this past November and have lost 35 pounds of my regain.  YES YES YES you are a candidate for a revision.  Of course that is my opinion, only you and your doctor know for sure.  My surgeons motto is "Every one deserves a second chance".  There are many many reasons that people need a revision and I am sure that through discussions with friends and most importantly your doctor you will discover the reason you should have one.  Do not give up the dream, it is only a revision away.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

cakebaby59
on 1/1/09 1:10 pm - Jamestown , ND
Thanks so much for your reply Wuanita S.  I had pretty much resigned myself to my weight and said "that was it!"  I did not know there was revision surgery and now...just in the few days since I learned of it and this site, I am beginning to think I might be able to start again.  I am going to make an appt. with my PCP next week and get the ball rolling.  I will be turning 50 in 6 months and I was beginning to wonder what the heck I was going to do with the rest of my life in the mess I am in with my back and all...maybe i can see a light at the end of the tunnel again...LOL.  Thanks again!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/08 7:18 am - TX
Hi cakebaby (from the sound of your name) you might like it over at the
DS forum.  We have cookies.

Seriously, I am also a revision from RNY to DS and I can tell you without bashing the RNY that the DS is far easier to live with and has the best odds for keeping the weight off.
cakebaby59
on 1/1/09 1:00 pm - Jamestown , ND
Hi,starry1st.  I am a cake decorator/designer, hence the name.  I take a lot of ribbing on that one!!!
I am new here and am still learning the abbvs.  What is DS?
Thanks so much for your reply...
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/09 9:30 pm - TX
The DS is short for duodenal switch.  It isn't a new surgery but few surgeons do it, (more difficult a surgery for them and takes more time=less $$) .  The DS has become more popular as people find out about it, often, just like you did.  Far less find out about it through surgeon seminars.  Practically everyone has seen commercials advertising gastric bypass or the lapband and are surprised there are more options (and better ones) to research.

Come over to http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds and read, post and ask anything you can think of.  We are an informed bunch and don't mind answering.  There are other resources you can read at, such as http://www.duodenalswitch.com and http://www.dsfacts.com/.

Also, I would suggest to you to count how many posts you see here on the revision forum of RNY and lapband patients.  Then count how many DS'rs you see who need a rrevision.  That, in itself, tells the best story.

See you over there.
Most Active