I am sure this has been asked a 1000 times but........

Stephanie Y.
on 12/30/08 4:42 am - East Greenville, PA
I am writing to you all in hopes you can answer a question for my Mother.  She had RNY 3/05 and was approximately 300 lbs when she had her surgery.  She lost about 75 lbs before she stopped.  She always said that was 75 lbs that she really could not have done without the help of her RNY but she is still very unhappy with her weight.  Can someone tell me what revision surgeries she can look in to?  Or if there is an official site/page that gives a lists of allowed revisions after a RNY?

Thank you so much for your input!

Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/08 5:27 am
I have been researching revisions for my RNY as well.  I am pretty sure it depends on the surgeon and the outcome of the exam(s) that are preformed to see what the issue is with the original RNY.
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/08 6:59 am - Togo
Before getting a revison you should find out why she stopped losing weight. Was it her or the surgery or both.

You are stating that she stopped losing but generally a revision has to do with weight gain.

find out why she stopped losing because if that happed with the rny what's to say it wouldn't happen with another surgery. why didn't she reach her goal?

happy girl
on 12/30/08 7:51 am
She can have a DS, a band over her roux or a distal RNY.  Like the others have said, the key is finding out why she stopped losing.  Has she had any regain at all?

An endoscopy can show if there is something wrong with her RNY and that could be why she stopped losing, if she's gained weight, it would explain that too. 

The surgery is just a tool where water, protein, and exercise are needed to make it work

good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/30/08 9:48 am
Sometimes there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the surgery, the loss is just less than what was wanted. She needs to look into the options, and I'd pay particular attention to the DS. The studies show it has the best weight loss, and best weight loss maintained. You can ask about all the surgeries on their respective boards, which is where I'd start. I would NOT start by asking the surgeon, as many are biased towards whatever they perform, so you don't want them to decide what would fit your life best.
ginau
on 12/30/08 11:08 am - mesa, AZ
Stephanie

I was in your moms same shoes. I chose to do an extended RNY - My choice!!!  others have had a band or the D.S.   their choice!

Your mom needs to learn why she stopped loosing and  then go from there.  a lot of Ins companies do cover revision surgery ..  a lot of Dr limit the type of surgical procedures they perform.  

I reccomend  that she do some research on each type of procedure ,  check for  malabsoption issue ,  protein & vitamin requirements,  etc....   dont make an  uneducated decission. She is going to live the rest of her life .

She can read the ABC"S of revision on this site  - Dr Schlesinger  covers a lot of topics , Yes he is my surgeon,  I am sure there are also many other Dr's  like Husted who cover the info also....

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/08 5:21 pm - AZ
Hi Stephanie,

I had my original RNY in 1997. I had lost about 80 lbs but stopped. I had no regain and just not lose anymore weight. Turns out the original surgeon never bypassed my intestine's at all. I thought is was my fault but it was not.I had a Extended RNY on July 2,2008. I now had my intestine bypassed with a common channel of 75 cm's. I have lost 95 lbs since than. Boy, do I feel great. I do still have good restriction in my pouch. I would read what Gina U has said to do. There are many great revisions surgeons out there. I would check out the DS site and see the official list of revision surgeons. Remember it is your Mom's choice to decide what kind of revision she wants and she can discuss with a surgeon that she has chosen. There are a few revision surgery's like the bands, DS's,VBG, Extended RNY and VSG. Everyone that has posted has good input. Good luck to your MOM.

Dawn
Most Active