Anti-Depressants and surgery

Monique H.
on 12/29/08 8:16 am, edited 12/29/08 8:18 am
I might have posted this before, but I'm supposed to be taking cymbalta and trazadone. I've only been taking it since October, but should I wein (sp?) myself off? I won't be able to see a psychiatrist until February and my surgery is Jan 13th. BTW it is Rny. He will be bypassing more intestine and making my pouch smaller.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
lisabelll
on 12/29/08 9:55 am
I am NOT a Dr but I wouldn't wean myself off of my anti depressants.  You are on those for a reason. 

I am on Wellbutrin XL.  I have no intention on going off it.  I will be discussing the med with my surgeon (tomorrow) because it is an extended release drug.  I might have to switch to a faster acting one so I can grind it up but I WILL NOT go off it.  I have a problem with depression and surgery can trigger depression.  I do not need the added burden of needing an antidepressant and not be on one. 

Really you shouldn't play around with antidepressant medication.  It makes you harder to treat in the long run.  Depression is a serious thing and the meds should be considered as so when being treated!
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/08 9:48 pm
I totally agree with the poster above.  I cant imagine not being on my meds and I am sure my family would not want me to be off of them either.  Talk to your dr, they know best.
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/08 6:50 am, edited 12/30/08 6:51 am - Togo
If you decide to stop taking them, then yes, you should slowly wean yourself off. if you stop abruptly you may encounter severe reactions such as a seizure - but - then again your body may be okay and nothing will happen if you stop abruptly. BUT - to be on the safe side stop slowly, wean yourself off.

Before doing that think through 'not taking' them. they were given to you for a reason. sleeping problems and depression. if you stop taking the medications you must find a more natural way of handling your depression. don't just stop and put yourself right back where you were.

know too that when you stop taking an anti-depressant you go through a period of a deeper depression than the one that made the doctor put you on them for in the first place. you will have to find the strength within yourself to get yourself through that. it can be a very rough dark time for people.

be careful in taking such medications. THEY ARE DRUGS. just like 'street drugs'. they are drugs. and like all drugs they are addictive. you will turn your body upside down until it can not get by without them. you won't be able to sleep with a pill. you will find yourself needing your 'pills' when you are feeling emotions. emotions will start to make you uncomfortable. you will start having emotions that are drug controlled and not natural.  

be very careful with those types of medications. or any type of medication.

go swimming instead. join a water aerobics class and laugh and joke with the other women. go hiking. go horseback riding. go outside and feel the sunshine warm your face. breath in the fresh air, etc, etc - BUT - get out and do something. that will take your depression away. 

Monique H.
on 12/30/08 7:56 am
Thank you all for responding I did stop taking the cymbalta and have been fine so far. I will talk to the doc about the trazadone. I also stopped the kolonpin at nights and I've been having restless nights so. I'm definitely will talk to him next week.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
SheriAZ
on 12/31/08 5:16 am
I am on Prozac and topamax and I was off of them on the day of surgery per my surgeon and back on them the next day As a matter of fact my Prozac is now double because of the malabsorbtive issues of the DS procedure I did not want to go into this feeling any depression and neither did my surgeon. SheriAZ
Amanda P.
on 12/31/08 4:36 pm - Salyersville, KY
I also am on Prozac and only skipped the day of surgery. Good Luck

rebeccaford
on 1/3/09 1:21 pm - Honolulu, HI
The link below will take you to a study that was done on the amount of meds that are absorbed after bypass surgery...  It's not exactly what you were looking for, but it may help you or someone else...

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/46/3/250
Most Active