? about revision from Lap Band

deannag70
on 12/29/08 1:56 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13
I've had my band for years... close to 5, I think, and I was moderately successful in the first 2 years. I lost around 60% of my excess weight. The last 3 years haven't been so great... I'm sick a lot. My band is either way too tight or way too loose. I have acid reflux and damage to my esophogus (not all band related - had it before the band also). So, I can eat everything or nothing. I've gained back a lot of what I've lost, but not all.

To those of you that have had a revision from a lapband:
1. what did you go to
2. were you able to do it all in one surgery
3. have you had more success?

I'm seriously considering having a revision and your suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Deanna
cubfan
on 12/29/08 7:32 am - East Peoria, IL
Deanna:

I am in the process of having my band revised to the Gastric Bypass.  I went in on 12/22/08 to have my revision done, and when the surgeon got in there, he found some damage to my stomach where the band was, and from all of the reflux.  He decided to only take the band out, and wants to wait 6 to 8 weeks to allow for some healing before going back in to do the bypass.  I knew going in that it would be a 50/50 chance that they would not be able to do it all at once.  My surgeon told me that he sees this same thing in half of the revisions that he has done.

Have you talked to a surgeon about a revision yet?  I would at least talk to someone about getting the band out before more damage is done.  I only had my band in 3 years, and have had a lot of the same problems/symptoms that you have.  If you have any more questions, I will try and answer them

CubFan
Helana R
on 12/29/08 9:41 am - Kansas City, KS
Hello there!!!

I had my band surgery in 11/06 and did GREAT!!! I lost 190 lbs...but then in June of this year I started having problems.  My band slipped and I was completely unfilled.  Throughout the summer I had alot of personal issues happen as well and I ended up gaining about 35 lbs back.  I then had THE TALK with my surgeon and she suggested the VSG.  She said it does WONDERFULLY for someone with my lower (NOW) BMI and that with the dedication I had to the band it should be no problem to lose my last 100 lbs.  I am completely self pay because my employer is the DEVIL (lol).  On Dec 15th I had my band removed and the VSG surgery all at once.  I'm now two weeks out and down over 20 lbs.  It's alot different than the band...do your research and check out your options!!!!!  Good luck on your journey.

kadfjhsdh.gif image by redhd76

MARCIAM
on 12/29/08 1:12 pm - Sayville, NY
Please check out my profile for all the details...
I went to the same doctor who did my band and I am thrilled with the results.  I had my band out in August and my RNY the following month in September.  My weight is coming back off nicely and now I am less than ever with the band! I am losing and feel great.  I could not be happier! Good luck to you Deanna!

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

charleston-mom
on 12/30/08 12:58 am
I had a revision from the horrible lapband to RNY in August of 2007 (a little over a year ago) and am down to 110 pounds. There is NO comparison between the two surgeries. Gastric bypass is lightyears better. I hated the band. I am a size 0 or 2 depending on the manufacturer and feel wonderful. I was able to have my revision all in one surgery. I lost weight just as fast as the people who were first time RNY'ers.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/30/08 10:09 am
I would research the surgeries first, then choose a surgeon based on what surgery you want. There are many band revisions on the DS board (and revisions from the RNY as well) so that may be something you want to research. The DS has the best weight loss statistics, as well as the best weight loss maintained. I chose it because I wanted the least chance of needing a second surgery. The revision folks on the DS board are really well informed, and happy to share any info and studies they have. Good luck!
deanne75
on 12/31/08 1:30 am - Ottawa, Canada
Revision on 12/10/08 with
hi deanna,

i had my lapband for almost 8 years.  i just had a revision to a lap rny.  the surgery didn't go quite as well as planned.  it was only suppose to be 2 ish hours, but was 5 instead.  my band at some point had become prolapsed, and a bunch scar tissue was formed all around it.  i cannot say enough at how much i hate that band!!!!  i too was always either too filled or not filled enough.  i could never eat in the morning even so many years after the surgery.  steak...chicken...forget it.

anyway, on with your questions.  so i had my rny dec 10th.  they did do it all in one surgery, but i can totally respect the fact that some surgeons do it in two.  so far i have lost 32lbs (23 lbs since surgery).  i love the fact that i can swallow pills and the don't get stuck.  i don't have GERD, and i already have stopped having daily headaches.

so good luck!!!!  hope this helps.

8 lbs lost before surgery

Most Active