Having a revision from VBG to RYN - can it be done Laparoscopic?

Michelle E.
on 12/28/08 1:06 am - Fishers, IN
Hello All,

I had the VBG about 12 years ago.  On 1-20-2009 I am having a revision to RYN.  If you are having that type of revision, I was wondering if your revision was done laparoscopic or open?   I would prefer the shorter hospital stay and all with laparoscopic.

Let me know

Thanks 

Revision from a VBG in '96  

SW/380 CW/260 GW/140
Rhonda S.
on 12/28/08 1:55 am - Bensalem, PA
I am pre-op I am hoping to have the same revision [I had a VBG about 20 years ago].  My surgeon said he would try my surgery laproscopically but if there was too much scarring, etc, he would have to change it to an open procedure.  I had an endoscopy so I know the there is staple line disruption and erosion of the band in there - I'd rather have the surgery laproscopically for the some of the same reasons as you  but I'll trust the surgeon and go with saftey first.  I really think it just depends.   At least, if I do have it open, he tells me he will make it along the same incision I had for the VBG.  At least no new scars
Sarah76010
on 12/28/08 3:53 am - Mansfield, TX
Rene,

Have you checked out the DS? If not, please check out these forums:

www.dsfacts.com or www.duodenalswitch.com

if you have questions, please let me know.

"You can make a life, or you can make excuses, but you can't do both."

Considering weight loss surgery? Check out the DS first!!
www.dsfacts.com

Nita S.
on 12/28/08 4:54 am - Avondale, AZ
I know that lap is a lot easier to recover from.  I had a lap on my first RNY in 2000.  I had my revision done on 11/6/2008.  I had mine done open, and I believe it was the best choice for me.  With a lap you can only see so much of the insides, with it open the doc can see everything and in my case, was able to clean up the scare tissue from my prior surgery and discovered that I had 4 hernias and was able to fix those also.  i am not saying to have it open, I just think that a conversation with your doctor is called for, if he is willing to clean up anything he may find, than your best option is for an open.  Remember this is my opinion and it is the reason I went with an open.  Weigh all you options and talk to your doc and then decide what is right for you.  Good luck on this new and exciting journey.  As my doc says "We all need a second chance".

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Kathy H.
on 12/31/08 1:12 pm, edited 12/31/08 1:12 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Michelle-

I had a VBG 22 years ago, and am now working toward a revision. Please do yourself a favor and explore *all* types of surgery for your revision.  I know you want this to be your last surgery, and that you want it to be insanely successful.

While there are certainly benefits and drawbacks to each surgery type, statistically, your best chance of long-term, sustainable success is with the DS.

And please do your own research, independent of your surgeon. Your surgeon is going to steer you toward the surgery that they perform, and that may not be the best surgery for you.

And PLEASE .. whichever surgery you decide on, be sure you have a surgeon that has a *wicked* good reputation as a revision surgeon. Revisions are tricky, and you want someone with a ton of them under their belt.

The folks on the DS board can help you with that.

The very, very best of luck to you.

-Kathy
Most Active