Exploring VSG

M_J_
on 12/26/08 8:31 am - NE
I had the Lapband put in in 10-07 and absolutely loved my buddy.  I love 72 lbs in less than 6 months.  Then I had a port flip that turned into an erosion and the band came out in 9-08.  I would love to have another one, but due to alot of reasons my surgeon isn't game on putting one back in, (she's never rebanded anyone) .So I am exploring other options.  I have regained about 15 lbs since the band came out and trying to stay with the game.  I have explored this board some but would love to hear more from peoples experiences with it. 

What is the eatting patterns  like right after surgery and what is the progression to solids like?  (Mushies, ect). 

Anyone who have had this surgery and are several years out??  What are the long term aspects like??  eatting patterns changed?? 

I'm just after any information I can fine.  I explored the band hard and heavy before I went that route, just looking for more information here.  Not as much is available for this surgery. 

Thank you all!

Linda R.
on 12/26/08 11:00 am - WPB, FL
Hi.  I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with the band, but glad it worked so well for you.  To learn more about the VSG, you should definitely visit the VSG Forum.  It's under Surgical Forums.  I got the VSG about 8 months ago and have been very very pleased with the results.  To answer your question, I had to go on a two week liquid diet pre-surgery, although not every surgeon requires this.  I stayed on liquids two weeks after surgery, then went to mushies for another two weeks.  I didn't mind the restriction post-surgery, since my hunger went completely away with the surgery, and still hasn't come back.  I feel like the monkey is off my back from always thinking about food and always being hungry, never satisfied.  It's just not an issue any more, at all.  I had no pain or food sensitivity post surgery, and really felt good, except for being a little tired the first month or so.  Not everyone has as easy a post op result, but I was lucky that way.

At any rate, once I was able to eat real food, I could eat about two ounces of solid protein at a time.  I stayed on protein only at first.  At 8 weeks out, I was allowed to add vegetables.  At four months, I added in complex carbs, like beans and legumes.  I still avoid processed and simple carbs, since I'm not done losing weight  yet.  FYI, by three months, I could eat about three ounces, and starting at about six months, I could eat between three and four ounces of solid protein.  I understand from other postings that I will probably continue to eat about this quantity.  For soft foods, like yogurt or cottage cheese, I can eat a little more.  For solid protein, the 4 oz. is tops.

Hope this gives you at least some of the information you wanted.  Good luck with the rest of your research!

Linda

(Ticker includes 25 lbs lost pre-op)
Maureen K.
on 12/28/08 9:03 am
Hi There,

Yes I agree check us out at the VSG forum. I came to OH rpior to my surgery I was actually going to get the lap band I was scared a little by the newness of the Sleeve. However after talking with my surgeon and checking out the boards here I actually opted for the VSG instead of the band.
Now I know you were looking for someone with years experience and you can find that on the VSG boards. But I am here to give you where I am with it. I am only six weeks out and I love it.
I love the no maitenance factor which you had to have with the band as far as fills go as I am not one who can seem to make it to doctor appts. something always comes up with work. (One reason I opted not to get the band.) Also they really have been doing the sleeve as long as they have been doing the RNY just not as a stand alone procedure. Also my surgeon said that it is actaully easier to do than the other surgeries. I know some people that have had stomach cancer and tey had this procedure to remove that portion on the stomach that was cancerous and the result was weight loss. One more thing the fact that they remove that part of your stomach that releases the grehlin hormone which makes you hungry and crave things is an actual blessing. I mean I am never hngry I eat becaue I know I have to and there are no restrictions as to what you can eat no malabsortion probelms I just can not say enough about it and how happy I am. By all means research and do what it right for you.

Good luck  and Best wished with whatever you choose.

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

myly1044
on 12/28/08 9:48 pm - TX
Try this link...it will help you answer a lot of questions.

http://www.vsgfaq.com/forums/

Most Active