pre-op liquid diet...HELP!

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 10:15 pm
I had lap RNY back in 2001.  I honestly dont remember being on any special diet prior.  I do recall feeling like I was eating my "last supper"  prior to surgery! LOL

I am lactose intolerant, so those shakes and such are not good for me.  Sounds like you have to get creative when on this liquid diet. 
This may sound stupid, but whats the purpose?
LoriAS
on 12/26/08 3:44 am - CA
Why would anyone have to do a 2 week liquid diet anymore?
There have been numerous articles that show that weightloss outcome is no better nor worse with a pre op weight loss.
Is there another reason for this?
Monique H.
on 12/29/08 8:00 am
I've also heard that if it is a 2 week protein liquid it is supposed to help you heal better.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Magyargal
on 12/29/08 9:31 am
        You have to do the liquid diet to help shrink your fatty liver!! Have you been to any of the orientations meeting yet? That is all they talk about! is shrinking that liver! The Surgeon I'm going to see about a revision in Feb, Told us we have to be on a two week liquid diet. No ifs and or butt's about it! No Coffee, or tea. No solid food, no soft foods, no puree food period.
       I had open stomach stapling Surgery 17 years ago. All I had to do... was nothing to eat or drink for 12 hours before surgery. I also had to lose 10% of my body weight, before I was approved for surgery. 
      It is very important not to have too fatty of a liver.. Their have been people that surgeons had to stop surgery on due to that. Or they had to go to open instead of lap. Dr. Ameri showed us filming of it being done to prove it to us.  Wow I was shocked to see such a fatty liver! gross! And the lady was not super obese either.   Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

lisabelll
on 12/26/08 6:19 am, edited 12/26/08 8:07 pm
From what I have read  the reason for the 2 week pre op diet is to shrink the liver and to lessen bleeding.  Apparently the liver is larger and more slippery if you don't do the diet.  If you do do the diet it becomes smaller and firmer. 

Of course the only evidence I can find is that other people were told by thier drs to do it.  I cannot find any reason outside of WLS circles to support this.  But I was told to do it and I just remind myself that at least they have moved away from the losing 10% of your body weight before they will do the surgery.
Hazeleyes922
on 12/26/08 10:49 am
do you think that they (Dr.'s office) recommeded me optifast only for my pre op liquid diet because coincidentally they sell it??
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 6:58 am, edited 12/27/08 2:14 pm - Togo
Very very possible. When I had my rny the girls in the doctors office actually called me and came to my hospital room trying to get me to buy their 'drinks'. whatever it was. it's been many years ago now. the doctor got mad when he found out they were hounding me about buying their 'drinks'. i got the impression they were on commission and got a percentage of what was sold.

but that aside, many doctors do like their bariatric patients to go on pre-surgery liquid diets. i don't think it necessarily has to be optifast. i mean liquid is liquid. think of the reason for doing it and then pick your shake accordingly. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 2:23 pm - Togo

Generally speaking it just always good to diet at least a few days to a week before surgery.

a week or so before my abdominoplasty i took it upon myself to eat light.

salads, fresh fruits, fish, etc. to make the surgery go better.

my surgery was thrilled when he saw me before surgery. and it help a lot. they were able to take off more than if my skin was real full.

so ... that's my two cents. 

cuppyb
on 12/27/08 11:28 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I had to do the 2 week pre-op diet again, but this time was a little easier.   My doctor now has me do the following:

3 shakes per day - could be Opti Source or CIB
1 meal for dinner - either a Lean Cuisine or 3oz of chicken, fish, turkey with 1/4 fresh vegetable

Vitamins and water, nothing else.  

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Hazeleyes922
on 12/28/08 12:49 pm
This liquid diet is horrible.  I am honestly HUNGRY!! also I have started having diar.....a! great, now what more liquid to replace what I am loosing? Great! sorry a little grouchy here
Most Active