pre-op liquid diet...HELP!

Hazeleyes922
on 12/25/08 2:44 am

Could please tell me what your pre-op liquid diet included?  i am supposed to drink optifast and but don't have it.  Any alternatives to the optifast? then, what else did they advice you t drink? and most of all how did you survive this time before the operation?

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 3:13 am, edited 12/25/08 3:16 am - Togo
One of the things my doctor recommended that I really loved  was 'Alba'. It's a shake. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Just mix a packet with water and shake real well. That's all you need to do. 

It's  sugar free and very low to zero calories. I don't remember which, low or zero. But I loved it and it worked.

I bought it at the grocery store. in the store where i shopped it was in the health food section, but i have seen it in other sections in other stores. 

Maybe Slimfast. Go to the 'diet section' of your grocery store and you will find all kinds of pre-op type drinks.

Hazeleyes922
on 12/25/08 9:28 am
thank you for your advice! This is my first day in a liquid diet and I hate it!!! I hope tomorrow is better. i will definitely look for Alba, do you remember what store you found it? Also was Alba all you drink? I can have other non- carbonated drinks diet of course and SF jello.
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 8:33 am
Im just starting to look into a revision, but why and how long do you have to do a liquid diet prior to revision?  Maybe it's prior to any WLS?  It wasnt like that when I had mine done in 2001, but hopefully they have improved since then!
Hazeleyes922
on 12/25/08 9:30 am
two weeks prior to surgery and I think all WLS requires it.  Did you have open surgery in 2001? i heard if you have it open you don't have to have the liquid diet
Monique H.
on 12/29/08 7:56 am
I had it open my first go around and I had to do clear liquids for a day. I'm kind of doing a liquid diet now, but they told me to have a protein shake (I've been using Isopure low carb chocolate and orange pineapple powder or something) for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. I'm finding that I don't like them as much as I use to though. I couldn't help it though I've been eating on sunflower seeds. I think tomorrow I'll try gum. I think the best thing we can do is keep ourselves busy and try not to think about food.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
lisabelll
on 12/25/08 10:42 am, edited 12/25/08 10:43 am
I am having open and I specifically asked the dr if I had to do the diet (well, I asked the nurse who asked the dr) and he said yes.  I am on day 3 of my high protein, low fat, low carb diet. 

I ordered bariatric advantage off the net to help.  I don't do atkins well.  I can never figure out what to eat and this is the atkins diet modified by low fat also.  I got the shakes to keep me on track.  Apparently I am supposed to be on liquid only  for 2 days before surgery , but when I asked the lady if it was clear liquids  she didn't know.  Thanks, big help there (sorry, tangent   ) 

Anyway, just wanted to add that.  I had open the last time (15 yrs ago) and didn't do anything special to prepare for this).  For me the surviving is just keeping my eyes on the goal.  It has been really hard for me with little ones and Christmas time but I am just trying to stay focused!!!  
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 10:48 am, edited 12/27/08 2:12 pm - Togo

crystal lite is good. you could even drink sugar free jell-o or eat it. whichever. but i hesitate to tell you to eat anything since your doctor wants you on liquids.

clear soups - french onion i liked - drain it and get the little bits of onion out. beef, chicken. be careful with soups becacuse of the salt and added fat. double check the label to make sure it's okay.

go to the store and snoop around. be creative.

actually with optifast. i tried it once and it was tooooo sweet for me. the shakes in the store i liked better and costs less.

Anneff36
on 12/25/08 2:32 pm - cedar park, TX
 I just got my pre-op diet plan. 2-3 protein shakes a day, morning and lunch
palp size light meal in the evening. (chicken/fish/turkey and vegetables) 
Multi-vit every day
at least 64 oz of water everyday.
avoid snacks, to curb hunger between meals drink water
avoid sugars/carbs/ fats as much as possible. 

shakes high protein >15 grams (whey protein)
low carbs<5 grams
little or no fat < 3 grams

recommended
bariatric advantage
Atkins
EAS carb control
Isopure from GMC

NOT Recommended examples- slim fast, boost, ensure, choice DM, Glucerna

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 5:04 pm - Togo
I know Boost, Ensure, and Glucerna are very high in nutrional. They are often used for elderly people to make sure they get all the nutrients they need and that they stay filled up and don't starve.  So i agree those should be avoided. 

Most Active