Approval?

afam91507
on 12/25/08 1:59 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone know if it is hard to get approval for a revision? I had Gastric Bypass in 2004 and have gained ove 50 punds after a UGLY divorce.  I have seen a therapist on how to deal with emotional eating but can not get more than 10 pounds off any time i try anything...Or I gain like on WW or LA wls.
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 10:11 pm
I'm just starting my revision journey too, I've been reading on here allot, seems like it all depends on insurance and such, just like with the original insurance.  Good luck to ya!  divorces are tough.
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 7:26 am - Togo
From nothisagain: divorces are tough.

you know i was just wondering what your username meant. just before i noticed that in your post. what a coincidence.

wells, divorces are tough - and heartbreaking. having wls will really pick up your life and move you on to brigher horizons.

i wish you the best of luck in getting your revision. 

pokerchips
on 12/26/08 4:00 am, edited 12/26/08 4:01 am
Most insurance companies have the same requirements for revisions that they have fir the 1st surgery.  I just got approved for a revision by United Health Care last week...I'm still waiting on a surgery date.  They used the same criteria they would use for everyone applying for WLS approval.  I got approved in 2 days!   I pray to loose all of my excess weight this time & keep it off.  My 1st surgery was in 2001.

Change is a Process Not an Event

Picsbylara
on 1/6/09 3:35 am - Hillsboro, MO
I am waiting for approval from United Health Care for a revision I had in 2002.  I am so scared it will not be covered as they have a exclusion for weight loss surgery in the company health plan.  I have 2 fistulas and bleading ulcers.  and am anemic.  Anyone have this situation? 
Rhonda S.
on 12/27/08 3:29 am - Bensalem, PA
I really think it depends upon your insurance company.  Mine will not cover revision unless there is some sort of technical or mechanical failure - other than a stretched pouch.  If I were you, I would call my insurance carrier and find out if revision bariartic surgery is covered.  I would hate to get all excited about doing something and then find out it couldn't happen. - assuming you are not self-pay.  If you are self-pay I think its just a matter of finding a surgeon you are comfortable with that is willing to perform the surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/08 7:20 am - Togo
Whether it's hard or not hard has a lot to do with how you handle it.

I mean certainly there are requirements from insurance companies and from the doctors. but the first thing you need to do is get yourself informed as to what the qualifications are and of those what applies to you. if you start making the rounds of phone calls and visits, putting your health in other peoples hand you will feel so pathetic and at everyones mercy.

here on the internet you can find out about -qualitifications for wls. you can approach your pcp and tell him/her what tests you want done. you can phone your insurance company and if you don't get the answer you think you should get then pursue them until you do.

in bariatrics you will meet people who will work with you, or make it hard for you, or who turn you down flat when they shouldn't, people who you think should know what they are talking about and give you information you think is fact when they don't know what they are talking about and are wrong.

look to yourself first and get the answers yourself. you can get a good idea whether or not it is for you.

Magyargal
on 12/29/08 9:09 am
Hi, 
     I too am trying to have a revision done from my first WLS in Feb 1992. I get so far with a Surgeon, I was two weeks away from having surgery with one surgeon  even!  Next thing I know I'm onto another Surgeon!! I feel like giving up! So far 2 Surgeons said they could do it. Then Bam! They change their mind. I guess because my surgery is very old!
     I am going to see another Surgeon in Feb 2009. Whom I got to talk to after his orientation meeting that I was required to go to before seeing him. I explained my case to him. He says he is sure he can do surgery on me. YEA RIGHT!! I AM NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP AGAIN!! 
     I started seeing Weight loss surgeons this past August. And I am not further a head then when I first started. Well I did have a Cat Scan, MRI, Endoscope done. but I was told that I would have to have them redone! Why? I don't get it! I'm sick of test and not getting anywhere! 
    It is not my insurance either. I have BC/BS FEDERAL. They are not giving me the heart ache. Has anyone else been through a lot to get the revision surgery? Will I finally get the answer I want to hear with this new Surgeon in Feb? I Pray so. I have a lot of Faith, But I just feel so down over this.
    All my test seem to say I do need a revision. My staple line opened up and the band opened up too. I never knew about the band until recently.  Thank you for any Prayers!!! And words of encouragement too.  Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Most Active