VBG to RNY experiences please.

sunnyday55
on 12/24/08 9:23 pm
I had gasrtic stapling done in 1992.Put most of weight back on.
Would love to get info re:pt.s who have experienced this,outcomes,complications etc.
I hear conflicting issues re:Sleeve is preferred. What do you think?
I appreciate your input.
MsBatt
on 12/25/08 12:55 am
I strongly urge you to research the DS (duodenal switch) before making your final decision. I've seen a lot of people get revised from other surgeries to the DS, but never the other way around.

How much weight do you have to lose? The old stomach stapling was a restriction-only procedure, as is the Sleeve. I'm thinking that if one restriction-only procedure failed for you, trying a different one is NOT the way to go---sounds like you need malabsorption as well.

The DS has the very BEST long-term results, and the post-op lifestyle just can't be beat!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/
sunnyday55
on 12/25/08 4:44 am
I have 120 lbs to lose.I thought that rny was the way to go because of the malabsoption purpose.
I am so confused.What I do know is that this stapling is not working for me any more.
MsBatt
on 12/25/08 7:55 am
The DS has MORE malabsorption than the RNY, and it specifically targets fat. DSers only absorb 20% of the fat we eat, and about 60% of the protein and complex carbs. (Simple carbs are still absorbed pretty much completely.)

For instance, when I go out and eat a 6-ounce ribeye, a baked potato with butter, and a yeast rol, I'm eating, according to FitDay, 813 calories, of which 316 are from fat. The breakdown is 35.4 grams fat, 59.3 grams protein, 33 grams complex carbs, and 28 grams simple carbs. With the malabsorption the DS gives me, I only ABSORB 7.08 grams of fat, 35.58 grams of protein, 19.8 grams of complex carbs, and all 28 grams of simple carbs. MY total calories absorbed is 397.24, a 'savings' of 415.76 calories.

I've read studies that say RNYers absorb around 62% of fat, and I'm assuming they absorb most of the protein and complex carbs they eat, since their daily protein goals are around 60 grams, and that's about what any non-op person needs. (Anyone out there who has actual facts and figues, please jump in here!) So I'm guessing that an RNYer who ate this same meal would absorb at least 600 calories, as opposed to my 400 calories.
runnergirl
on 12/25/08 1:41 am - Canada
 Hi,
I had a revision from VBG to the DS, I am so happy to have a functional tummy again!!!!! I can eat more things than before the revision. I use to live on soups and salads because I didn't do well with dense proteins, I had yummy crab in butter last night, while the kids had their treats!!!! I felt very spoiled.Don't be afraid to go for a revision, you will be glad you did. OH is great and you can check out all the procedures and ask questions. Best of luck on your journey, 

Heather
sunnyday55
on 12/25/08 4:45 am

Why did you prefer Ds to the RNY,I am so new at this process,I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanx!

runnergirl
on 12/25/08 7:17 am - Canada
 To be honest I didn;t even know that the DS existed, it isn't done here in Alberta and I stumbled on the procedure here on OH.I Just started reading the RNY and Sa and revision forums, yes, lol I was a lurker!!! lol I knew I didn't like the pouch because I had the failed VBG and yes I knew what came with that, well at least for me. I couldn't eat lots of different things, I threw up and would get heart burn. I saw my doctor and got a referral for an RNY but those darn DS gals just seemed to have so much fun and they had a love affair with food, that seemed weird to me. I was afraid that the RNy would bring me the same results down the road that my VBG did. There were lots on the revision boards with the band and the RNY, yet I didn't see any DS people and the stuff they can eat!!!! It was like a dream. It is an intestinal bypass with the sleeve. At 6 weeks out I went to a party and had meatballs, shrimps and scallops for an appie like everyone else. I even had prime rib for my dinner!! No one would have known I was an WLS person. I didn't eat tons but still... My friend has the RNY and said the only thing she could have had was maybe a shrimp or two and potatoes, she is a year and a half out. To be honest I couldn't have had all those different things before my revision, my tummy works now, I can eat anything. Now having said that I try hard to stay away from flour and carbs cause I do get gas lol lol.I had my surgery in Brazil and was self pay thats how much I wanted the DS, I could have had the RNY here for free.I feel normal again, I am only 3 months out and have lost  48lbs.I am 5 lbs away from 50% EWL.Just read lots check out all the forums I talked about earlier and go as far back in the posts as you would like, lots of helpful people here, just research and follow your heart. If you have any more questions or anything I have skipped just ask.

Heather
MsBatt
on 12/25/08 8:03 am
On December 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM Pacific Time, sunnyday55 wrote:

Why did you prefer Ds to the RNY,I am so new at this process,I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanx!

I'm gonna put in my two cents' worth here, too. (*grin*)

I wanted to be able to eat without guilt. I wanted a fully-functional stomach. I wanted to be able to take any medication I might ever need, especially NSAIDs. (I have severe arthritis, and I will ALWAYS need NSAIDs nearly every day.) I wanted the very best long-term results, without fear of regain.

I did NOT want to dump, or throw up frequently. (Yeah, I know, not all RNYers throw up a lot---but a significant number DO.) I didn't want to worry about strictures, or ulcers in some 'blind pouch'. (In the DS, the excess stomach tissue is completely removed from the body, along with most of the ghrelin (hunger hormone) producing tissue.) I did not want to worry about getting food 'stuck' in a stoma. (In the DS, the pylotus is retained---fully-functional stomach, remember?)

I wanted to be as NORMAL as possible, and the DS has given me that.
LosingSally
on 12/27/08 7:26 am
A significant number of people who have had RNY DO NOT VOMIT DAILY. You need to get your facts straight before you post. Touting your preferred surgery is not a problem, but your choice of method sucks.
There are hundreds of thousands of sucessful post-ops with RNY. The percentage who vomit daily is not even statistically meaningful. And all people who have any surgery on the stomach may have occasion to vomit, just as those with no surgery may become ill and vomit. It is NOT a feature of RNY.
Getting food stuck is a rare occurance, as is a stricture.
Most people with RNY don't dump, it's nothing to count on as a factor to get RNY. An ulcer in the remnant stomach happens so rarely, that I have read of maybe one person on this site who has had one, and I'm not sure it was an ulcer. There are so many post-ops without problems, focusing on the rare ones who have problems may help you feel good, bit it's hardly accurate.
Just let me mention I have what is being called an extended RNY, I have the small pouch of RNY which helps with portion control. But I have a short common channel of 200cm which allows me to eats fats of any kind and not absorb them.I am 3 years and 5 months out with no problems losing and maintaining my loss. So I don't dislike any surgical remedy for obesity.
I think anyone should do the research and make their own personal choice that suits their life, and what they feel they can live with. If there were one surgical cure for everyone, there wouldn't be several choices along with medical opinions to support them.
MsBatt
on 12/27/08 12:47 pm
WHOA!

First off, I didn't say that RNYers vomit DAILY. Secondly, I was giving MY REASONS for why I chose against the RNY. When I was researching WLS five years ago, 99% of the posts here at OH were from RNYers, and I was seeing a LOT of posts about frequent vomiting, dumping, strictures, getting food stuck, and problems with the blind pouch. I was basing MY PERCEPTION of the RNY on posts made my people who were living with the RNY, and I didn't like what I was hearing.

Statistics often quoted by RNYers say that about 40% of RNY patients DO dump. I wanted better odds than that. Some RNYers DO get ulcers, ot even cancer, in the blind pouch. With the DS, I had ZERO chance of that happening. ZERO.

Focusing on people who have problems post-op does NOT make me feel good---it makes me feel sad for THEM, and glad that I don't. That's all.

As for your extended RNY---you have a common channel of 200 cm. I have a common channel of 90 cm. I absorb around 20% of the fats I eat---I'm betting you absorb at least twice that, maybe more.
Most Active