No revision for me

cubfan
on 12/29/08 9:25 pm - East Peoria, IL
I actually brought up the DS with my surgeon becuase all that I have read on here, and he said with my lower BMI (40) and my age, he didn't feel it would be the right surgery for me.  I kind of agree with him on it, only because of the more severe malabsorption with that surgery.  It scares me with both surgerys, but more so with the DS.

When my band worked, it worked great.  I never lost all of the weight that I wanted, but I was very happy where I was at.  Once the weight loss stopped, I was able to maintain for the entire time ****il I was unfilled) with out even trying.  It was the first time in my life that I have maintained a weight for that long.  I hope that I can have the same success with the Bypass.

CubFan
Nancy C.
on 12/30/08 6:07 am - Dallas, TX
I'm glad that you shared with me your information on the DS versus the RNY.  I was wondering what the primary difference between the two was and I think you summarized it - the lower BMI.  I have a consultation with my (potential) new surgeon on Jan 6th (I have to find a new surgeon because the one that took out my lap band has moved and no longer practices in my area).  I'm excited about the consulation and was planning on asking him the difference and whether or not he would recommend the DS for me.  I'm a lower BMI (40) as well.

The one thing that concerns me about the RNY (and the lap band knowing what I know now) is the potential metabolism issue.  I haven't read that much about it yet but what I understand is that the lap band and RNY ultimately change your metabolism so that your body can function on way less calories and that is what will bring you to a point where you won't lose any more weight.  Have you heard anything about this?

Do you have a new surgery date scheduled yet or are you still waiting?
Nancy            
cubfan
on 12/30/08 9:51 am - East Peoria, IL

Nancy:

I have never hear of the metabolism change with the band and the RNY.  Interesting though.   I have my 2 week follow up on the January 6th.  Hopefully I will know more then about my new surgery date.  Not sure if I will get it that day, or will have to wait for the schedulers to call me like last time. 

I noticed that you have Trace Curry as your surgeon, did he do the original lap land or is he who you are going to see for your revision?  He was very informative on the lap band forum when I was researching the band. 

Nancy C.
on 12/31/08 2:28 am - Dallas, TX
Trace Curry was my original surgeon who did my lap band surgery.  I lived in Cincinnati, OH at the time.  I moved to Texas and Dr. Watson Roye took me as a new patient.  Dr. Roye did my followup visits and my emergency surgery to remove my band due to posterier slippage.  Dr. Roye moved to another city (too far for me to drive) within four weeks after my band was removed and so I am without a surgeon.  He referred me to a couple of different surgeons, one I just do not feel comfortable with and the other I found out it not a covered surgeon under my insurance so I can not chose him either.  So, at this point, I'm scheduled to meet with Dr. Wade Barker next Tuesday.
Nancy            
cubfan
on 12/31/08 7:09 am - East Peoria, IL
Sorry for all of your troubles finding a surgeon.  We both have our meetings next Tuesday.  Hopefully we will both have good news.

Good Luck with everything.

CubFan
Most Active