No revision for me

cubfan
on 12/24/08 8:39 am - East Peoria, IL
Hi:  I have been lurking on this forum for a few months now and have had a lot of my questions answered without even haveing to ask them.  Now I have one that I have not seen yet.  I was scheduled to have a revision from my Lap Band to RNY on 12/22/08.  Well, when the doctor got in there I guess the stomach didn't look so good.  He took the band out and told me that we needed to wait about 6 to 8 weeks for my stomach to heal up and then he would do the revision.  I was kind of sad, but I am a big believer in all things happen for a reason.

Just wondered if this has happened to any one else and if it did, how did the revision turn out?

Cubfan
(deactivated member)
on 12/24/08 9:23 am
Sounds like you will still get the help you need with the revision, just may take a little longer.  Trust me...I'm a want it now type of girl, so I understand your frustration.  Keep us posted.  Good luck!
hoofer4life
on 12/29/08 10:29 am - columbus, OH
 Shawna, I, too, had my surgery at OSU. I had mine in 2003 and am starting to look into a revision. Do you have any information you can share with me? I'm just starting the research on revisions, so if you have any info, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks.

Hondurian Queen
on 12/24/08 9:30 am - BOSTON, MA

HELLO I HAD A REVISION FROM THE BAND TO RNY I DID NOT HAVE WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU HAPPEN TO ME BUT i KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE THIS HAPPENED TO THE WAITED FOR THERE STOMACH TO HEAL HAD THE RNY AND HAVE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL SO THINK POSITIVE AND KNOW THAT YOUR SURGERY DATE IS COMING GOOD LUCK AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Madcow
on 12/25/08 6:36 pm - MA
It's better to be cautious.

240/140/138
Band2RNY
on 12/27/08 12:26 pm
Hi Fan,

I hope to have a revision from band to RNY as well.  Were you unfilled prior to the removal? ....and if so, for how long?  I have been unfilled for over a month now.  There are no foreseen problems at this time, but I am concerned I may have an incident similar to your's.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that all turns out well.

stacy
cubfan
on 12/28/08 8:22 am - East Peoria, IL
Hi Stacy:

I have been unfilled since the end of April.  I went in to have a hiatal hernia repaired, and they unfilled me during that surgery.  I started having severe reflux after that surgery (which is odd because my surgeon said that usually that helps reflux).  My surgeon left me unfilled to see if it would eventually get better, but it never did.  We decided in September that a revision to the RNY would be the most beneficial for me. 

Any way, before the surgery he told me that there would be a 50/50 chance on having only half of the surgery.  When he went in, the stomach where the band was around looked to tender.  He was worried that the staple line would not hold in that area, and he did not want to risk a chance of any leaks.  Also, there is some damage from all of the reflux that he wants to try and heal up.

I understand why he waited, but I was just ready to get it all done and over with.  Not realy looking forward to my third surgery in less that a year.

I hope everything works out well for you.

CubFan
Nancy C.
on 12/28/08 12:34 am - Dallas, TX

I had a similiar situation as well.  I think that the doctor suggested the waiting time for a reason and I believe that it is an opportunity for your stomach to get back to normal before he re-operates.  My surgeon suggested the waiting time as well and he explained it to me as a healing process.

Believe me, I understand your sadness.  Mine is a much longer story than yours and six months later and I am still waiting and fighting with the insurance company (I switched insurance providers due to employment) to provide the RYN for me.  Patience will win out, I am confident.

Hang in there and just keep calling your surgeon for scheduling of a new date!
Nancy

Nancy            
cubfan
on 12/28/08 8:30 am - East Peoria, IL
Nancy:

I'm sorry for the hassle that your insurance company is giving you.  Somtimes theire reasonings just don't make sense.  I'm schuduled to go back next week for my follow up appointment, and should get a new surgery date then.  I'm kind of worried because the heartburn/reflux doesn't seem to have went away even with the band removal.  Hopefully now its just from things healing up and trying to get back to normal.  My surgeon said that the RNY would fix my reflux issues, that is one of the things that he put in the letter to the insurance company to get the revision approved.  Whatever he said most of worked because I was approved within 2 weeks of them sending the letter.

By the way, what is the reason that you had you band removed?  From what I have been reading on these board, a lot of people are haveing the severe reflux problems.

Good Luck with you insurance company, I'm sure things will work out.

CubFan

Nancy C.
on 12/29/08 10:21 am - Dallas, TX
I had a posterier slippage, must have had it for a few months and didn't realize it (thought I had the flu or something), but I will never forget the final night that took me to the doctor's office at 8:00 am the next morning (didn't want to go to the ER room that night).

I did not experience the reflux while I had my lap band but did have reflux prior to band and now am experiencing it again probably due to weight gain.

I've had my "depression" moments on the insurance issue but have since hired an attorney that does nothing but deal with insurance claims for bariatric surgeries.  I am confident that I will win out eventually.

Any reason why you chose the RNY over the DS?  I've been reading up on the DS and I'm seriously thinking about going to the DS.  Seems to me the long term success rates are higher.  What are your thoughts?
Nancy            
Most Active