One Week Today

SheriAZ
on 12/23/08 12:12 am
Well its one week today...yippee and overall I am feeling pretty darn good...if I don't move that is. I had the most wonderful scrambled eggs last night and this morning. They were so good. I have decided to start out slow with the food. I am going to stick with protein for about a week or so and see how it goes before I add anything else. I bought cottage cheese, low fat string cheese, 98% fat free shaved chicken. I am dying for hot soup but I have to look into that. Maybe something I can make from scratch with mushrooms and chicken stock. My drain came out yesterday but left a nasty looking hole which I am carefully cleaning and Dr. S put me on an antibiotic for. I have also found a new use for Kotex maxi pads. I have that lovely bend at my waist....my hubby says to call it what it is. Ok, its fat. Folds, actually and the incision folds also and becomes painful. Sooooooo...I bought kotex maxi pads and tuck them around my waist over the incision, tape them there and voila soft and comfy. My skin is taking a beating from the tape. I over did it yesterday, we went to Phoenix, Say Dr. S did some shopping, went to the grocery store, left Yuma at 7am and got home at 6pm. Long and rather painful day but all in all it was good. I lost 5 lbs. and I am happy.

One more thing.....how long did most of you wear the binder...that thing is killing me !!!!

Sheri AZ
Nita S.
on 12/23/08 12:48 am - Avondale, AZ

Hi Sheri,

Congrats on one week of a new and improved life.  I am 6.5 weeks out and loving life.  I am still a little tired, and my stamina is not what "I" want it to be, but all in all life is good.  As far as the binder, when I went in to see Dr Schlesinger to have my drain removed, he took one look at the ra**** left and told me to take it off.  I have not looked back, so I wore mine about a week.  I would call him and ask if you can take it off, and also judge if it helps with the pain of getting up and down.  Try and rest and take care of yourself and have a wonderful holiday season. 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

SheriAZ
on 12/23/08 6:50 am
Thanks Waunita, I always appreciate your responses. I did take it off and it helps that I can put pressure on the area when I get up and down and the binder isn't digging into me. I am resting inbetween doing my Christmas shopping online....yes I am late but not as late as I expected to be. I am feeling good but don't have much of an appetite. I am drinking as much as I can and doing protein 5 or 6 times a day. You have a wonderful Holiday also. Heres to us and a fabulous New Year.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/08 4:27 pm - AZ
Hi Sheri,

I to broke out in a rash. I even put a Tshirt under the binder and still itched like crazy. Dr S said just get rid of it. Which I did and the rash went away. I know some of my friends wore the binder for months just for the good support and did not break out in a rash. Good luck and hope everything goes well for you in your postop period. Have a Merry Christmas.

Dawn
mew6495
on 12/23/08 9:24 pm, edited 12/23/08 9:26 pm - MI
 Hi Sheri,

I am glad to hear you are doing better.  My skin also has a reaction to tapes.  I use "new skin", its like a liquid bandaid.  I apply it to my abdomen area where the tape will lie.  This way it provides like an extra layer of skin and it is much easier to remove the tape.

I used my binder for a bit longer because I found it helped hold my stomach "tight" and was easier to move around.  I think everyone is different.  If it is not working for you and you get no discomfort from having it off then get rid of it.  

I hope you continue to heal.  Good luck to you!

Most Active