Want Revision Surgery

ettaj1959
on 12/22/08 12:26 pm - Grafton, ND
I had the lap-band surgery 3 years ago and it did not work.  I honestly only lost about 20 pounds in 18 months.  Then I started throwing up and had a slip in the band.  My doctor removed and blamed me for not having weight loss and the throwing up.  He said before he would replace the band that I would have to go to an eating disorder clinic.

I felt terrible but now realize that alot of people have problems and that it was in no way my fault. I want to have the RN-Y.  Is that a good decision or do you recommend a different surgery.  I have high blood pressure, fatty liver, sleep apnea, and today was diagnoised with diabetes.

Who should I get involved?  My PCP??  How do I approach the insurance company.  I will not use the same doctor.  Any suggestions in North Dakota??
mew6495
on 12/22/08 10:17 pm - MI
 I would suggest starting with your PCP.  Research all your options.  If you choose the Rny I would recommend going distal or extended.  I would also check out the DS if I were you since you have never had the malabsorption portion and your stomach was never altered.  

There are different pros and cons with each surgery type.  Research to see what effects from each surgery type you  can comfortably live with and which ones fit your life style.

Good Luck.  Keep us posted.
PekinSal
on 12/23/08 4:59 am - UK
You're welcome to join the 'Ex Lap-banders Club' if you want to - there are quite a few of us! If my surgeon told me to go to therapy I'd tell him where to shove it...

Anyway, RNY is one surgery. DS is another. You might want to consider a malabsorbtion surgery rather than just a restrictive one, because the restriction of the band didn't seem to work. This would mean a distal or extended RNY or a DS.

I'd seriously consider the DS, mainly because it will cure your diabetes - RNY might, but it isn't so certain statistically.

DS revision from failed lapband

ettaj1959
on 12/23/08 6:16 am - Grafton, ND
Where do I join the group.  A part of me believed my surgeon.  Now, I see that alot of people experience the constant vomiting from the LapBand.  Have you had revision surgery from the band and if so which surgery do you revise it with.

Thanks for answering.
PekinSal
on 12/24/08 1:35 am - UK
LOL I'll send you a badge. I think my first surgeon was thrilled for the 98 people out of 100 the band worked well for, but kind of didnt want to know about the 2 people it failed. He didnt do any types of surgery other than the band, so no good going back to him for advice.

Second time around I picked the DS - the choice was RNY or DS for me. I hung around here a while and saw people having trouble a few years on with RNY, and just knew with my luck I'd be here again like them...Not many people need DS revising, plus I'd been diabetic for 10 years and it cured me within hours of the surgery.

You have to research though, ask lots of questions about all the surgeries, and then find a surgeon who can discuss things with you objectively - my second surgeon does all of the surgeries and complex revisions, and I trust his judgement this time.

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active