So Angry!

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 12:25 am
Hi Everyone, I'm new here! I had Gastric Bypass back in 2001.  I started out at 247, got down to 115, evened out around 135.  Over the last 2 years, maintained around 150 (I had a baby), now I am back up to 190! I feel like such a failure.  I honestly havent changed my diet, but I have noticed that I feel hungry ALL the time, I called about revision, and they said that weight gain isnt reason enough! I feel like my stomach is probably bigger than it was to begin with.  UGH.  Any help would be appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 1:52 am - Togo
If you are feeling hungry all the time take a look at what you are eating. Carbohydrates turn to sugar in the body and give you subtle cravings making you want to eat and eat and eat.

you may think it is just you but it could easily be the food.

carbohydrates = bread, pasta, crackers, flour, etc, etc.

try cleaning up your food and see what happens.

add exercise to it also. like swimming. it is fun and great exercise. 

Deanne K.
on 12/22/08 11:35 am - Tucson, AZ
Feeling hungry is a symptom alot of us felt.  You could also have a mechanical failure of your surgery.  You stoma enlarged, etc.  Do check out what your diet is, and then find out if you have a problem with your surgery.  Sometimes it's the surgery that failed.  Not us.  You need to find out what is causing your weight gain.  If your current Dr. won't help you, find one who will.  My GI Dr. is the one who found my problem, not my original surgeon.
mew6495
on 12/22/08 11:57 am - MI
 Your story sounds a lot like mine did.  If your PCP is willing to help you out ask him if he could order an upper GI and a EGD to determine the size of your pouch and your stoma.  It will at least give you a indication if you have a mechanical failure and a place to start.  If you feel you have a carb problem that got out of hand, you could also try the 5 day pouch test to help kick start you back to the pouch rules again.  You can find it at the following link or try googling it.

http://www.livingafterwls.com/index.html
janeel1
on 12/26/08 8:30 am - Philadelphia, PA
Is the Upper GI and EGD similar to a Barium Swallow?  This is where you swallow some kind of liquid dye  and get a cat scan so that they are able to see you throat, pouch and stoma to see if anything is enlarged?

Please advise.

Thanks
mew6495
on 1/1/09 10:41 pm - MI
 The Upper GI is the test with the barium swallow.  They then take x-rays of you stomach area.  With me they did this both laying down, standing up and turning to the side.   From my understanding this checks the size of your pouch.  

The EGD is the test where they check the size of your stoma with a scope down through the throat.

Most Active