Stomaphyx

M. S.
on 12/21/08 5:06 am - Dallas/FortWorth, TX
Does anyone have a success story with the Stomaphx?? It seems to be all bad experiences. I had RNY 2/02 I lost 110 pounds. I've noticed that I can eat more now and I've put on 15-20 pounds in the last year. I'd like to correct this problem before it gets worse. My insurance covers revisions however I have no clue if the stomaphx is covered or something I should even try.

If not stomaphx, would they just go in and reduce the size of my pouch?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Missy
Nita S.
on 12/21/08 5:47 am - Avondale, AZ
I do not know if you want to call it a success or not, but I did have the stomaphyx done in August of 2007.  I was able to loose about 17 pounds, unfortunately the success went no further.  I did have a revision in November of this year and have to say that I am glad that I had the Stomaphyx as has still given me more restriction than I had before.  I was one of the unlucky ones that, when I had my original RNY, it was all restriction and hardly any malabsorption.  When the restriction part of my surgery failed I had nothing to fall back on.  I know have the benefit of both restriction once again and malabsorption.  I am happy with the way things have turned out.  I do not know if that helps or not.  Good luck on your journey. 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

M. S.
on 12/21/08 6:11 am - Dallas/FortWorth, TX
Thank you for sharing your story, I'm glad you found what's working for you!

My RNY is proximal and I also have a silastic ring at the base of my pouch (I think that's called the stoma?). Losing 15 pounds is all I really want to do, I gained it in the beginning of the year after I broke my wrist and was in a cast up to my shoulder. I have remained stable at this current weight since July. I have upped my exercise where I now exercise almost everyday and I vary the workout. Unfortunately I have only seen a pound or two go and I'm the same dress size. (I feel better though now that I'm working out more)

I definately can fit more food in my pouch now and I experience hunger more often. I've noticed this over the last 2 years so I'm lucky that the weight gain only started after one year of more calories. I really want to fix my pouch and make sure that my silastic ring is still in place.

pepsi98
on 12/21/08 8:06 am - Norwich, CT
On December 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM Pacific Time, M. S. wrote:
Thank you for sharing your story, I'm glad you found what's working for you!

My RNY is proximal and I also have a silastic ring at the base of my pouch (I think that's called the stoma?). Losing 15 pounds is all I really want to do, I gained it in the beginning of the year after I broke my wrist and was in a cast up to my shoulder. I have remained stable at this current weight since July. I have upped my exercise where I now exercise almost everyday and I vary the workout. Unfortunately I have only seen a pound or two go and I'm the same dress size. (I feel better though now that I'm working out more)

I definately can fit more food in my pouch now and I experience hunger more often. I've noticed this over the last 2 years so I'm lucky that the weight gain only started after one year of more calories. I really want to fix my pouch and make sure that my silastic ring is still in place.

I had Stomaphyx, lost 17 lbs and then put it all back on PLUS!!!  I just had a lap band put over my old bypass on 12/10.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/08 4:41 pm - Togo
You are really smart to 'nip it in the bud' right now. It's wonderful that you are staying on top of this.

But ... do you really want to put yourself under the knife to lose 15 pounds. weight loss surgery is serious business. Are you sure your insurance will pay for it when you only have to lose 15 pounds. Maybe you should double check the qualifications for weight loss surgery and find out if you qualify.

I'm not saying don't do it. But if i were you - wanting to lose 15 pounds - i'd join weigh****chers. i had a lot of success with it in the past. it is a good program.

don't become dependent on surgery to lose weight. don't let yourself become one of those wls junkies. it is a drastic measure to take only if needed, not wanted. 

the rny has a life span of 3-5 years before it's effectiveness dwindles. by then you need to have made life changes that support your new weight.

anyhoo ... i hope you get something out of what i am saying. i'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give reasonable feedback according to what i would do and what i wish i had done.

M. S.
on 12/21/08 10:35 pm - Dallas/FortWorth, TX
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your honest feedback coconut678.  

I have been trying to fix it for over 6 months with lots of exercise and good eating habits but so far no real progress. My whole point is that I don't want to go under the knife again but I still want to fix my stretched pouch if possible with a procedure like Stomaphyx.

Problem is it seems like many people are not having success. From reading a few experiences it seems as though many stop losing or even gain after the liquid phase of Stomaphyx. I did a liquid diet a while back to jumpstart my weightloss, I lost about 2 pounds and I've kept it off, so I'm not sure I would gain after coming off a liquid diet. I was pretty hungry because of my stretched pouch however. The literature I've read on Stomaphyx confirms it's for people like me who have a stretched pouch and have gained some back.

As far as my insurance goes, I wouldn't be completely sure until they approved me but they did send me the link to read the qualifications for revision and so far I haven't come across a pound requirement. It's more on the lines of stretched pouch, yada yada, weight gain, yada yada. But then again who knows if they would approve Stomaphyx as it's so new.
reenieb
on 12/22/08 3:36 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Endoscopic revision procedures of any kind, including stomaphyx (hard to trust a procedure with such a kitchy name--I call it stomaphail) DO NOT WORK. You will lose weight initially because you will be on an all-liquid diet for two weeks following the procedure. You would lose the same amount of weight on a two-week liquid diet WITHOUT an endoscopic procedure. Stomaphyx, Rose, Restore - none of these procedures work. Period. Unfortunately, the statistics are proving that long term gastric bypass post-op patients (3 years out and beyond) are struggling mightily to keep their weight off - and not succeeding. Our surgeons are absolutely failing to tell us that this will happen. They give us glib reports about 'changing life style' and nutrition and exercise - but they do not venture into the very important, very real discussions about the physiological anatomic changes of our digestive systems - and how we will eventually experience unrelenting, painful, physical hunger that will drive us back to eating to the extent that the weight will come back on - will fill those deflated fat cells in our bodies that are laying in wait, like emptied balloons, waiting to feel useful again. There is no good news here. I say shame on the surgeons who are draining the insurance industry - and robbing the private payers - all in the name of making false promises that they know are not going to be realized. Save your money and your heartache. Join a gym and weigh****chers instead. Maureen
pepsi98
on 12/22/08 7:42 am - Norwich, CT
On December 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, reenieb wrote:
Endoscopic revision procedures of any kind, including stomaphyx (hard to trust a procedure with such a kitchy name--I call it stomaphail) DO NOT WORK. You will lose weight initially because you will be on an all-liquid diet for two weeks following the procedure. You would lose the same amount of weight on a two-week liquid diet WITHOUT an endoscopic procedure. Stomaphyx, Rose, Restore - none of these procedures work. Period. Unfortunately, the statistics are proving that long term gastric bypass post-op patients (3 years out and beyond) are struggling mightily to keep their weight off - and not succeeding. Our surgeons are absolutely failing to tell us that this will happen. They give us glib reports about 'changing life style' and nutrition and exercise - but they do not venture into the very important, very real discussions about the physiological anatomic changes of our digestive systems - and how we will eventually experience unrelenting, painful, physical hunger that will drive us back to eating to the extent that the weight will come back on - will fill those deflated fat cells in our bodies that are laying in wait, like emptied balloons, waiting to feel useful again. There is no good news here. I say shame on the surgeons who are draining the insurance industry - and robbing the private payers - all in the name of making false promises that they know are not going to be realized. Save your money and your heartache. Join a gym and weigh****chers instead. Maureen
I heartily agree!!!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active