Drs. Schlesinger and Gitt

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 4:31 am - AZ
Doesn't this mean that North Valley Plastic Surgery (Dr. S. Gitt) owns AZ Weight Loss Solutions (Schlesinger) and he is applying for some kind of patent on the name?

It would kind of explain a bit of history here.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77562452

I'm not sure I am reading this correctly.  Can someone explain if I am correct?

Emily_Rose
on 12/20/08 9:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
It looks like a trademark registration request.  If you notice they submitted artwork at the top
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/08 3:08 am - AZ

Ahhh... I thought it was the name, didn't realize it was the trademark.

So then the two offices aren't just coincidentally in the same building, both clinics (Gitt and Schlesinger) are owned by the same person, Dr. Gitt.

I understand now.

Kind of a good idea, get WLS then go to the other clinic and have plastics!  Cuts down on staff, etc.

pepsi98
on 12/21/08 7:59 am - Norwich, CT
Sounds like the old "bait and switch" don't you think?   Everybody gets a piece of the action and the patient gets to pay!!!  Awesome!  Wonder if anyone has ever thought about ethics in all of this?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/08 3:19 pm - AZ
It does not sound like a bait an switch to me. I plan on going to totally different plastic surgeons when I loss all the weight and get stable for 2 years. I want to go to Dr Katzen in Beverly Hills in California. All he does is WLS surgery patient that needs plastic done. It seem that Dr Gitt is a good business man and wants to make money. If I were in his shoes I would do the same myself. There are many Plastic surgeons that do the same thing. I think it is a one shop stop like. Family Practice physicians are doing the same think. They open a big 3 story building and they own everything and all the Doctors work for them them. Like you of lab work and Xray departments there, You also have PT department. Than they have a surgeon , Foot doctor, Uro, Gyn and OB in all in 1 building and you have the same concept. That is no way bait and switch. That sounds like a big covience for be do everything at one big building. Plus also have a Pharmacy would be a great help. I think people would save gas money and I still don't get that it is a bait and switch as you call it. What I called a convenience for me the patient.
pepsi98
on 12/21/08 8:24 pm - Norwich, CT
On December 21, 2008 at 11:19 PM Pacific Time, Dawn B. wrote:
It does not sound like a bait an switch to me. I plan on going to totally different plastic surgeons when I loss all the weight and get stable for 2 years. I want to go to Dr Katzen in Beverly Hills in California. All he does is WLS surgery patient that needs plastic done. It seem that Dr Gitt is a good business man and wants to make money. If I were in his shoes I would do the same myself. There are many Plastic surgeons that do the same thing. I think it is a one shop stop like. Family Practice physicians are doing the same think. They open a big 3 story building and they own everything and all the Doctors work for them them. Like you of lab work and Xray departments there, You also have PT department. Than they have a surgeon , Foot doctor, Uro, Gyn and OB in all in 1 building and you have the same concept. That is no way bait and switch. That sounds like a big covience for be do everything at one big building. Plus also have a Pharmacy would be a great help. I think people would save gas money and I still don't get that it is a bait and switch as you call it. What I called a convenience for me the patient.
I get what you're saying, and that's ok as long as it's public knowledge that one MD owns the whole kit and kaboodle and as long as patients aren't "encouraged" to use the MD across the hall.  I think the point though is that often some of these things are kept under cover and let's face it, most people will go to the doctor that their doctor recommends, and he most certainly will recommend the MD that works for him.  I just think it's a matter of not being totally open and honest.  Why the cover?  Why not be open about it?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

ShayZ
on 12/22/08 3:41 am - Somewhere, TX
On December 22, 2008 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
On December 21, 2008 at 11:19 PM Pacific Time, Dawn B. wrote:

I think Pepsi has a good point.  Consider this... Joyce writes posts such as this:

~~
Topic: RE: Doctor Recommendation - Revision

I definitely recommend Dr. Eric Schlesinger.  Many on this site have had him do their revisions.  He offers every type from Band to DS or Extended Rny to sleeve....I think the only one he has issues with is revising to a band OVER the Rny.....I think he said it has potential for too many complications i.e. reflux, erosion, slippage, etc.

Folks travel from all corners to have him as their surgeon.  ....  He does phone consults too!

Good luck!  A great surgeon can certainly make all the difference to one's success! ~~

Don't you think it should be made a little more clear the business affiliation between Gitt (Joyce's employer) and Schlesinger?

Considering Joyce is a Schlesinger patient and suffering from what appears to be a serious odor problem, a gas problem, a need to go out and walk to relieve the symptoms of gas periodically throughout the day, chronic diarrhea, poor labs, an inability to stop losing weight, an inability to stop dumping on anything she attempts to consume, a BMI of 18.1, etc. etc. etc. doesn't it seem just a bit unethical to push this doctor the way she does without at least being honest about the business relationship between her employer and Schlesinger?

Dr. Schlesinger just had a pretty serious complication where an infection was misdiagnosed on a WLS patient.  Long story short, due to the misdiagnosis, a lack of a simple culture when an infection was finally diagnosed so the wrong antibiotics were prescribed the patient now has a hole in his stomach, drains, a feeding tube, and medical bills (after insurance) of $12K, self pay for surgery $15K (total of $27K) and NO WLS tool... I'd be concerned.  And you know what the real kicker of this is?  It was a BAND patient.  Not a revision, not something extra complicated but a BAND patient.  A newbie getting his first band.  $27K out of pocket, no band anymore, huge medical bills ahead of him, and quite ill with a leak from a hole in his stomach.  He'll have a feeding tube for at *least* a month.

Infection is a risk for ALL surgery.  It happens, it cannot always be prevented and it isn't necessarily the fault of the doctor.  But the infection was misdiagnosed and treatment was not initiated until it went from his port to his band and eating a hole through his stomach.  That is without excuse.  BTW, this is a local Phoenix person.

She claims to be a cheerleader for Juarez.  Dr. Juarez was recently separated from his contract with an insurance company due to patient complaints and the insurance company turned him into the Medical Board for Arizona where he was formally disciplined for his actions with a patient.

She claims to be a cheerleader for Dr. Gitt.  Dr. Gitt was disciplined by the medical board for failing to act on a patient with post op complications.  Had he followed the Standard of Care this woman wouldn't need a 2nd surgery to correct the problems.  The Medical Board also wrote of concerns in his billing practices but to be honest, I can see how that one could happen.  I don't know the whole story but it sounded like an office error that can happen, not that it's his usual billing practices.

The AZ Medical Board is currently working on their website and it is down this morning but if you wish I'll post the links for you to read yourself when the website is back up.

I just think a little balance is in order here.  Balance and honesty.  I don't think it is right for a person to push a doctor that may or may not be all that great without telling the whole story, such as the business relationship.  It's an integrity issue.  I recall a post where Joyce was quite clear in explaining that Schlesinger just happens to be down the hall from Gitt's office.  What a lie!  In that post she was making it clear it just happens to be so.  Not true, Gitt OWNS that clinic and to be that misleading is inappropriate.

I don't think there is a bloody thing wrong with Gitt owning Schlesinger's clinic.  I think it's a great idea to be honest.  But why hide the facts and truth?  Why not just lay the cards on the table instead of hiding everything and being deceptive in an annoyingly perky way with lots of smilys and such?

Do I like Joyce?  No, not really.  We had issues 2 years ago where she did something I felt was beyond unethical.  I confided in her and told her something specifically requesting she not tell ANYONE.  She told quite a few people in the name of "helping" me.  I didn't ask for her help, I asked her to keep my issue private.  Again, we are back to ethics.  It is no longer a private issue in the least, everyone knows about it.  When I went to Mexico to get my lap band I didn't tell my husband.  I was desperate for surgery and would have done anything to get it.  I could have had my band done by Simpson through insurance.  Between not wanting to go to Simpson and not wanting to wait months and months to jump through insurance hoops I opted for self pay with a surgeon I do like and trust.  I trusted him enough to go back to him for my revision from band to sleeve (again bypassing my insurance co).  HE was able to do it lap, had I gone to Schlesinger I'd have had a full open procedure for band to sleeve.  No way... I wanted the safety and ease of a lap vs. full open.

So I don't think it's a bad thing to get the WHOLE truth out there instead of the bits and pieces previously shown.  Again... integrity and honesty.  That's all anyone is asking.

I have to say MidwesternGirl, I think you are out of line.  I understand that you have a "thing" for Joyce but that needs to be kept between you and she.  She didn't even respond to your original post and you are pulling her into this.  Look, take a deep breath and let it go and then let all this other crap go, because just like you are accusing Joyce of pimping for Dr. S. you advertise or ask people to ask you about your physcian as well.

We are all people with opinions; meaning we are all a**holes, lol. Let it be. I am one of those people who have had at least 10 people suggest their Dr. and yes, Joyce was one of them.  In the end, I chose my own way as will most people.  Joyce wronged you and that is not excusable but why take on your own bad karma posting stuff like the above?

mew6495
on 12/22/08 1:13 am - MI
 I'm sorry but I don't see how posts like the string in this one are of any help.  And believe me I mean no ill intent towards anyone.  It seems to me this is all based on a personal vendetta and personal information about other cases is being made public (even if a name is not given).  It seems to me if a person wants his information displayed on a public forum they should be the one posting it, not a 2ND or 3rd party.  In cases like these innocent people, practices and establishments get hurt more then the person the posts seems to be targeting.  I am sure there is a lot of unresolved anger and hurt that instigate this type of thing and that it is not because of the maliciousness it appears to be.

OH has always seemed to be a great support community and I would hate to see that change.  Posts like these can drive people away.  
Sweetsmile1955
on 12/22/08 3:56 am
I think the intent is to inform the public that there are many people on this board who are not so concerned with ethics as with making money and supporting surgeons who are essentially butchers.
They post as being happy and cheery and are not truthful and not helping those who are looking for ethical, safe, and responsible doctors who truly want to help the patients lose weight.

These people who are posing as shills or patients (even though they may have gotten weight loss from them are not truthful about their experiences and those who have subsequently been severally ill after having surgery from some of these butchers) post and bragg about these doctors and send innocent unsuspecting people to have them be slaughtered and left unhealthy.

I think that is criminal and should be stopped.  Thank God for people who are not trying to be liked but be truthful and state facts that are verifiable with respect to lawsuits and filed complaints with state boards.

Always be cautious when researching a surgeon....do not just go with someone because they said they had a good experience....look around and talk to MANY different people to find out if they have had the same experience or that one person is a front for earning money for the surgeon because his reputation is already known in his local area and he/she is not well respected.  Ask a surgeon who he/she would have his/her surgery done by and why. 

Don't take this lightly....always be safe with your health!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4mCNqI/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w4mCNqI/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
StacysMom
on 12/22/08 6:33 am
I am relatively new to this board and mainly lurk, but what I am finding here is appalling!   What I have found, by reading back through various threads, is that someone is on here pushing the doctor who did her revision and when DIRECTLY asked if she were his employee, she said "no" - that she works for someone else (a plastic surgeon)  in the same building as said doctor.   That was months ago.  Then someone a few days ago  put up a link to somewhere on the web where it DIRECTLY states that this person's BOSS (the plastic surgeon) actually does own the revision doctor's company - so, in fact, the person DID WORK FOR THE DOCTOR WHO DID HER REVISION.  She was basically posting glowing reviews of someone she worked for!   Which, I don't have a problem with - it's just that she shouldn't have lied about not working for him in the first place!   

Interestingly, she has left the employ of those doctors and is now working for different doctor/company and is actually on here COMPLAINING about her revision, when she was raving about how wonderful it was when she was working for the previous MD's.   So, it appears that her opinions change according to who is employing her at the time.   To an outsider, who has not been an active part of this board, this does seem very suspicious.

I already posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate on this one.   Either way, I am appalled at the lying and deceit  and politicking on this message board.

Most Active