QUESTIONS ABOUT REVISION FROM LAPBAND TO BYPASS

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 3:42 am - trenton, NJ
HI I HAD MY ENDOSCOPY TODAY WHICH MY NEW SURGEON WANTED ME TO DO BEFORE MY BYPASS...THE DOCTOR THAT PERFORMED THE ENDOSCOPY SAID THAT EVERYTHING WAS FINE WITH MY BAND AND THAT I NEED TO CONSULT WITH MY SURGEON BECAUSE MAYBE THE BYPASS WONT WORK....SHOULD I BE CONCERNED????
momma.nurse
on 12/19/08 6:21 am - Somewhere in the Southern area, IL
I'm guessing the doc doing the endo was not a bariatric surgeon?    I am doing just as you are.  Going from the band to bypass.  My surgery date is 12-29.  My new surgeon also did my endo.  He is confident the switch will be a big benefit to me.   I think the doc who did your endo is giving too much credit to your band.  Yes, the band works for some people, but not all.  Just because it is positioned correctly means nothing to switch to a bypass.  That is comparing apples and oranges.  The bypass is a different  kind of surgery.   Not only are you restricting calories, but you'll have the  malabsorption issue.   I hate my band.  I can't wait to get rid of it!!!  BTY  I had to pay for my band out of pocket.  I'm still paying for another 18 months!!!  My insurance is covering my RNY.   
Good luck to you and I don't think you should be worried.  Talk to your bariatric surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 2:30 am, edited 12/20/08 4:36 am - Togo
i am wondering if this is another one of those situations where someone is making a judgement call on you and thinks you don't or shouldn't have the bypass. i have experienced medical people telling me i don't need it, i could do it on my own, and even threatening to withhold their support because they don't think i should have it even though the bariatric doctor did. 

anyhoo. have a good day and don't worry. the test was fine and pre-op cleared for the bypass. 

Most Active