Oh My....The Gas

SheriAZ
on 12/19/08 12:34 am
Well isn't that a pleasant topic....Sometime in the middle of the night I was awakened by a rumbling in my lower, newly adjusted area. Not sure if something was about to happen I stuggled out of my chair and headed to the bathroom. It was gas pain of the worst kind. Wow. After walking the floor for about an hour it settled down and I slept for awhile until things took off again. I knew this was going to happen but I figured it would happen after I started to eat solid food and not just clear liquids. Well anyway I am feeling better each day. I can tell that laying around doing nothing for 2 weeks isn't going to be working for me too long so you will see me on here often. Thanks for being here.

Sheri
Nita S.
on 12/19/08 3:26 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Sheri,
I am 6 weeks post op and can really identify with the gas pains.  The first time I had them I was eating a salad.  Thought I was going to explode.  According to Dr S, it takes a while for the insides to catch up and to try the salad again in a week or so.  I can now eat small salads, and do not have a problem.  the ones to watch for are flour carbs, at least for me.  I have chosen to stay away from them because of the gas (my family gladly supports me in this endeavor).  I know what you mean also about laying around, I am one that can not stand to sit and do nothing.  I do not do daytime TV, and I can only read so long.  That was when I started getting impatient with myself and tried to do a little something.  The lack of stamina sure put an end to that quickly.  Your body will tell you when you are ready to get more active, do not push yourself.  Have a great holiday.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

PekinSal
on 12/19/08 7:03 am - UK
I made a mistake not long after the DS because I thought 'clear liquid' included chicken noodle soup.

Just a small amount of wheat-based something does it for me - it takes longer to happen now, so I think your body adjusts after a few months, but it can be quite volcanic (I have actually woken myself up at night with the noise of farting...!)

DS revision from failed lapband

My_Time
on 12/21/08 8:53 am - Bangor, ME
OMG...how funny was that post.  I just had DS on 12/16 and am having gas of course, both ends.  Today when I went to the lady's room I thought I shot a rocket out.  It was my 1st you know what.  Sorry to be so tack.  Any way, best of luck to you.
My_time
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 2:01 pm - Phx, AZ
Hi Sheri:

I am a Dr. S patient; revision 4 weeks ago today--altho I also had hernia surgery at the same time.  Week #1 was difficult...gas-wise.  But then I started eating soft foods...  Whoooaaa Baby!!!  Then I developed intensly hot knife-burning pain and bloating in the intestines... and where the intestines were surgerized, especially there!!!!!  It was at this time when I started to get really depressed and felt like my ENTIRE LIFE was going to be this intensely terrible forever.  (Funny how you can only see NOW and equate that to forever.....) 

Week #2 was not good too... still terrible hot knife-like pain... and the gas pressure was intense!!!  I could hardly eat for the pain that would generate from food.  As I added food, different kinds, it was worse.

OK...  Believe it or not...  on my WEEK #3 anniversary... I awoke that a.m. and did not have tha****ery-diarrhea, or the intense gas.  I did not think that it would get to that point.  Of course, I had also spent a few days removing all offending food items from my diet that I thought would be culprits...  I then re-introduced them slowly.

Now I am at Week #4.  This is a good week!  The gas only begins to rumble about 8:30 p.m., and I foof all night...stinking up the bedroom (my poor hubby).  I know it'll get better eventually.  I poop before bedtime, and awake needing to also.  (Sorry).  But all in all, things are getting better.  I even find that I am HUNGRY all the time once again. 

I am trying to be more active... I have always had recuperation issues... my body doesn't always want to cooperate (I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue)...  But I am getting more and more active by the day.

You will too..... By all means, keep asking folks on this site for advice!  I have found innumerable good ideas and suggestions from some who are much more educated than I.

Best Wishes!!1
SheriAZ
on 12/20/08 7:29 am
Wow did this come at the perfect time. I have an awful time just getting up and out of a chair for the pain and not the incision kind but the inside kind. I realize that everything has been adjusted and rearranged and twisted and cut but of course I think that there is something else wrong, which there isn't. Once I sit back down or start walking it goes away. I have gas now and again but that comes and goes also. I am sticking pretty much with clear liquids and protein for right now. I go to see Dr. S on Monday. I talked with Jen yesterday and there is nothing coming out of the drain so my choices were keep it until the 29th or come in and have it taken out. Also my incision was kind of yucky and bloody the last 2 days so she suggested he look at that too. Thanks so much for the posting you helped me more then you know. I feel so much better knowing that some of this is normal stuff. Oh, one more thing...how long did you wear the stockings? My legs are starting to look like sausages and its making me hungry.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 11:57 am - Phx, AZ
Hello Sheri:

I only wore the stockings for about 2 days, total...when I was sure I would be able to get up and about, walking around the (inside) of the house.  As for the drain, I had it for over about 10 days (due to 2 weekends in between), and it had stopped draining too.  I was scared, thinking it would hurt...  I asked Dr. S to tie the loose end to the doorknob and slam it, pulling it out quick.  But I think he was quicker than that.  ha ha.  He just looked at me... NO I AM NOT STRANGE.  Just a baby.

Something that I found works wonders on the tummy pain...  I use a heating pad daily on my stomach as I am sitting around.  It really helps.  That and Gas-X, which isn't as strong as I'd like. 

When you do start eating (other than liquids) you WILL find that the gas increases... I hear that it is just something to get used to for now, and don't add all kinds of new foods at once.  Try one or two for a few days, and go from there.  The 2nd day after I went to soft food, I tried my old fav: cottage cheese w/strawberries... only, I added blueberries too..... MISTAKE.  That metallic taste you may've heard about... OH MY GOODNESS.... I awoke in the middle of the night feeling like I had just eaten a jumbo jet!!!  UG.  So, I cut the blueberries from my diet and haven't had that dilemma since.  I also switched from reg milk to Soy for my shakes.  I actually like the stuff in the shakes.  Hmm... 

I kept my incision clean w/alcohol wipes (get 'em in the diabetes section at the pharmacy)...they are about 1" square.  Then I used Polysporin...leave it a bit gooey on the incision.  I bandaged the incision w/antibacterial gauze, and a rolled surgical tape that is about 3" wide.  Now that it is 99% all good, I dont' have it bandaged at all (no more scabs) and I just massage it with olive oil every day, whenever I am in the bathroom (which sometimes is MUCh of the day.. HA HA HA HOHO)...  EXTRA VIRGIN OO.  hee.  Oh, and you may've seen in the hospital, use the alcohol wipes to wipe at the edges of the tape...it loosens the adhesive.  That way you aren't feeling like you are ripping off your skin... after a few weeks of bandages, it gets raw. 

Let me know how you are doing!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 2:50 am, edited 12/20/08 2:51 am - Togo
from PekinSal: (I have actually woken myself up at night with the noise of farting...!)

That is so funny. I had to laugh when I read that. I can well imagine. What a surprise in the night! lol

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 11:59 am - Phx, AZ
I laughed too, which made me fart!
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 9:35 pm - AZ
Most Active