Cymbalta and Trazadone

Monique H.
on 12/17/08 6:29 am
I've recently been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and post traumatic stress diorder (ptsd). Well I was perscribed cymbalta and trazadone. Does anyone know what I should do? Is my doctor going to put off my surgery because of it? I've only been taking it a couple of months, but I know my body won't absorb it once I have the surgery.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/08 6:36 am
Large numbers of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery patients have psychiatric illnesses that are in part treated with medications preoperatively, but there are no objective data to guide psychiatric drug dosing postoperatively.An in vitro dissolution model was developed to approximate the gastrointestinal environment of the preoperative (control) and post-RYGB states.Medication tablets were placed in the two environments, and the median calculated weights of the dissolved portions were compared.Ten of 22 psychiatric medication preparations had significantly less dissolution and two had significantly greater dissolution in the post-RYGB environment, compared with the control environment.The results suggest a need for an in vivo study of serum drug levels after RYGB surgery in patients taking psychiatric medications.Differences in the pharmacokinetics of the postoperative RYGB patient may necessitate adjustments in dosing. (Psychosomatics 2005; 46:250-253) 

This has beend edited the following table to (a) make it easier to read, (b) to use brand names rather than generics, and (c) be reflective of the more commonly used meds.Please see the cited article, here, to view the table in its original form. Please remember that this study used modeled environments.The study authors used crushed and immediate release formulas of these medications.PLEASE, remember, that extended release versions of psych meds behave totally differently, and really should not be used in a person with an RNY (this is being said by the author of the article~ not myself ~ PuggyDawn).Remember also, that you may not see the effects of decreased bioavailability for several weeks postop, as the half lives for some of these meds can be quite long.I encourage you to use this data to open a dialog with your psychiatric provider. As you can see from the table, the amount of dissolved medication is higher in the preop environment for Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft.Effexor and Celexa are pretty much the same for both environments.Wellbutrin, oddly enough, appears to have a higher amount of dissolved medication in the post-RYGB environment.The anti-anxiety/sedatives don’t have much difference between environments.The atypical antipsychotics, however, do show differences.Seroquel has the most difference between pre and post op (I can definitely speak to that—I’ve had to almost double my dose), with Geodon right behind.Risperdal and Zyprexa do show a difference as well.Lithium has increased amount of dissolved med in the post-op model, which makes me wonder about how ones lithium levels would be effected. Please check out the article, cited here.Thanks to the author for allowing me to use it J Table 1.Weights of Dissolved Portions of Psychiatric Medications in Standardized Dissolution Test Models of the Gastrointestinal Environments of Preoperative and Postoperative Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) Patients.

Median weight of Median weight of
Medication Dose (mg/day) Dissolved portion (mg)--Pre-Op Dissolved portion (mg)-Post-Op

Antidepressants      

Prozac 20mg 110 40
Paxil 20mg 30 10
Zoloft 100mg 50 30
Wellbutrin 100mg 320 450
Effexor 75mg 180 180
Celexa 20 70 80

Anti-anxiety/Sedatives      

Klonopin 0.5mg 100 90
Buspar 10mg 120 120
Valium 5mg 10 10
Ativan 1mg 10 0
Trazodone     100mg     330     330    
Ambien     5mg     100     90    

Atypical Antipsychotics          

Zyprexa     10mg     190     160    
Seroquel     200mg     270     120    
Risperdal     2mg     130     100    
Geodon     80mg     280     210    

Mood Stabilizers          

Lithium     300mg     130     280    
Trileptal     300mg     20     10    

I don't know why you think your body will not absorb it after surgery...I am bipolar and have taken my meds everyday..even the day of surgery and there had to be some adjustments but I absorb them fine.

I used to take Trazadone to help me sleep...but it always gave me like a "hang over" feeling in the mornings..so my doc changed me to ambien..but I take Trileptal, Pristqe and abilify for my bipolar.

There is actually a chart that shows that some people absorb more of their depression medication and the dose has to be cut back..so not everyone malabsorbs...

Cymbalta and Pristqe were too new of a medication to be included in this chart..but I hope it helps....

Dawn

Monique H.
on 12/17/08 6:42 am
Thank you. I've always heard that people's symptoms got worse after surgery because their body was not absorbing the medication.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Band2RNY
on 12/30/08 2:29 pm
Hi Monique,

As a psych RN, I have treated several patients on all kinds of meds with a variety of medical conditions requiring creative med dosing/adjustments, and your concerns are valid and common.   I would not worry too much over this.  Just let your psychiatrist know you have had a malabsorbtion surgery.  It may take more adjusting than usual....but ultimately all patients usually require tweaking of their medication because no one dosage works for everyone anyway.  Your doc  will consider the worsening or improvement of your symptoms in order to make dosage decisions.  Eventually, he/she will get it right.

Preop 267/Post Band 167/ Now 245 Awaiting Approval for Revision 2 RNY

Most Active