Does the surgeon blame us?

Fatfreedom
on 12/16/08 5:23 am - NH
I need a revision of some sort.  I am 5 years out from surgery and have gained all my weight back.

What happens when you go see a surgeon to consult about weight loss?  Do they assume it is your fault, or that there is a glitch in the previous surgery.

I am not sure what to expect.  Thanks!
wings
on 12/16/08 9:12 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Please go see you surgeon no one is a failure.  Talk to him about what options he may be albe to offer you or some he can send you to for more options.  I did and Dr. Curry assured me I was not a failure and my thinking was ontrack for a revsion.  I am looking into DS.
Wings
happy girl
on 12/16/08 9:50 am
I don't think they assume anything one way or the other, but once you have an upper
GI and endoscopy (fairly standard testing for evaluating a potentional revision pt), the doctor will have an idea.  He/she is also going to ask some pretty direct questions about what you have been doing since your first surgery - eating, drinking, exercise, followup that kind of thing.

Don't forget you are a consumer, and have a right to be treated well regardless of whether it's a doctor or not.  Do not stand for being treated badly

good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/08 11:31 am, edited 12/16/08 11:37 am - Togo
A person who plays a part in the doctors decision making nowadays is his 'insurance' person.

Twice my doctor walked me into her office to tell her about my insurance. Not once, but twice. Right after my first consult with him and then after my clearances were done and i was ready to be scheduled for surgery.

She is an important part of whether or not a person gets wls surgery.

So go prepared having talked with your insurance ahead of time. And get your primary care doctor to run as many needed tests on you as possible.

Remember you are presenting a case. A case of facts.  Be informed and be prepared. The doctor and his staff will appreciate it.

But don't walk in feeling helpless and at their mercy. Begging. you lessen your chances of getting the help you want and need that way. 

Fatfreedom
on 12/16/08 11:38 am - NH
Thanks so much for the replies.

I do feel like a failure-a HUGE one at that (literally AND figuratively). I totally got off track and am FAT FAT FAT again.  I need a jump start again, and I will NEVER let this happen again.

Thank you! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/08 11:54 am - Togo
New Hampshire? Oh. I just noticed that. How is the snow right now? I talked with a friend of mine back there today. what a blizzard you'all are having. i used to love the snow till i lived in it. i think i will keep my distance from it now and just go snow skiing in it now and then. 

to be feeling trapped inside an obese body and to be stuck in the snow too. omg. you must feel so closed in. well, it will pass. it does every year. hang in there. take a warm bubble bath,  play some good music, lite some candles, curl your hair, put on some make-up. etc, etc.
don't let all this get you down. 

nean
on 12/17/08 4:10 am - Tacoma, WA
Have you tried the 5 day pouch test, or a week of low carb, low fat protein shakes? That way you can assure the surgeon that you have self tested and radically changing your diet hasn't helped. Also do a search for 'rules of the pouch'.

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

Katrina B.
on 12/17/08 7:45 am - Prestonsburg, KY
If you are thinking about revision, I would definitely recommend keeping a food journal / exercise log  to show the doc you are making efforts to lose.  I think this just helps the surgeon confirm that you aren't trying to move from one failed procedure to another one you may ultimately fail  if not due to mechanical errors.

Good Luck.
Katrina
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/08 12:55 am - Togo
I joined Weigh****chers first. I did not want to go for surgery. I lost approximately 50 pounds but over the next year regained about 30 of that back. i showed my w.w. books to the doctor and he appreciated that. it showed that i did not turn to surgery as a first choice but as a last choice. it also showed that i could and would follow a program. and that my intentions were to succeed which i did. it also showed a pattern of success and failure which is a factor in being approved for wls.

so there is a record of my wl attempts. not just me walking in and saying it. 

facts. remember to stick to  facts. that is what the doctor wants to see. not a sob story.

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/08 2:46 pm - Togo
The title of your thread is a good one. Does the surgeon blame us?

In the past when I have gone to a bariatric doctor I experienced slack from his office personnel more than from the doctor. But some doctors can be very intimidating in their attitude toward you too.

They do ask that horrible question, "why". Why did you regain the weight. That's a tough one to answer because if you admit it was your fault then he assumes your likely to blow it the second time around. If you try to explain it with reasoning and understanding he will still hold you responsible for blowing the surgery. There just doesns't seem to be any good and acceptable answer to give for that question.

All you can hope and pray is that something went wrong with the surgery and so it wasn't entirely your fault.

What surgeons seldom tell their patients is that the rny has a lifespan of about 3-5 years. Weight gain is expected after those years. The same is true with the other surgeries.

One can only hope that when they come to the end of the surgery's life span that they have made enough changes and resolved enough of the weight issues that they are able to carry on with it. But many times it doesn't happen that way and the doctors know that but they seldom will fess up to it.

so don't worry there are many many women in the same boat as you. it is so hard not to feel like 'begging' when you go to the doctor for wls. But try not to or he will walk all over you.

you are not a bad person for gaining weight. it happens. 

Most Active