Any advise. I'm considering revision RNY........

janeel1
on 12/15/08 10:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Do you think I could be approved???  Just curious of what you think...

I too feel like a previous poster when she says, what the hell is she going to do now...

A little history, I was small to begin with (212lbs), but was approved for WLS within a matter of a couple of days due to my issues listed below.  I was considered Obese then (which is called Obesity Class 2).  I am now 175 (which is called Obesity class 1).  I had surgery on February 1st, 2006, and have not lost any weight since my 8 months out.

Fast forwarding to the present issue at hand.....

I just got off the phone with my surgeon's office.  I am almost 3 years out and I have not lost anything since about 8 months out.  I have only lost a total of 42 lbs and have been gaining back and forth these 10-12 lbs.  Never fully lost all of them, but I have been maintaining and still trying to do my thing.  For the past 2 weeks I've been back with my nutritionist and then I decided to call my surgeons office today and ask if they did revisions?  The nurse said they did, asked if I had my surgery in that office, which I did, so she's going to send me a script to get some test ran to find out what's going on with me and my pouch.  Like I said, I haven't lost anything until after 8 months out.  I kept the faith that I would eventually loose some more, but I didn't, and I'm to the point, something has to give even if it's going back into surgery. 

I like you get sick off of anything and I can eat a lot but I don't.  I never quiet feel that full feeling, but whatever I measure out to eat, is all that I do.  I still measure everything and eat my 6 times a day.  I exercise about 4-5 times a week for at least 2 hours each time, and days that I'm not exercising, I am doing some sort of cardio like walking or whatever.

I still have my pre-surgery issues, and I want to get that under control.  I have had serious back pain since the age of 15, I have had a breast reduction as well as RNY to get this undercontrol.  Not only my back, I have PCOS (Polycycstic Ovaries), and that's another issue I wanted to get under way because PCOS is a hormonal imbalance and an insulin resistant thing, which of course leads to weight gain and puts me high risk for diabetes.  So with those issues, I am willing to get things back under way.  My nutritionist thinks I have been doing a good job.  Every Saturday night I email her with my food log for the following week to see that all is well, and she say it's good.  I give her measurements, water intake and even down to exercise for the week to come.  She agrees that it's good.

I'm just keeping my hands together and in prayer that I find a break in this thing here somewhere.  I want to loose at least another 40 lbs.  I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it because now I am fluctuating between 178 and 175, but I have to loose at least another 40 lbs.  I'm still considered OBESE....not just overweight...

I too am at a loss, and am trying to see what can be done.
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/08 2:28 pm - Togo

As I understand it you weigh between 175 and 178 right now. You sound as though you are following a good diet plan.

The thing that stands out for me that would make a huge difference is - activity. Physical activity. I know it sounds like a simple answer and you probably think it couldn't make that much of a difference but a good activity plan can make or break a weight loss plan.

i used to swim a lot and i always knew that if i got a little puffy from overeating or eating foods that weren't the best for me i could rely on getting it all back together at my nex****er aerobics class.

i can not stress enough the importance of a good activity plan. it is essential to losing and maintaining weight.

eating correctly will only take you so far. you must be active as well.

good luck. 

janeel1
on 12/19/08 8:42 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for your advice, but since I had WLS almost 3 years ago, I have been in the gym at least 5 days a week, 2 hours each day.  I'm not sure the exercising is the issue.  

i mean I could be wrong, but I'm working that out for sure, that's why my surgeon is talking about revisions.  I go on Tuesday to have a barium swallow done to check my throat, pouch and stoma.  He obviously thinks it may be something more.

I again, thank you for your post but I believe I have been doing great in that field, and my nutritionist thinks my eating habits are absolutely fine.
Katrina B.
on 12/19/08 10:53 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
At 2 hours in the gym 5 days per week it is quite possible you aren't taking in enough calories. That is a lot of time in the gym.
I believe if you have adequate calories in (to help with the calories out by exercising) you will lose more. Otherwise your body will just hang onto every single calorie you eat.
janeel1
on 12/20/08 11:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks a lot and you just may be right.  I find it kind of strange though because before I started back to my nutritionist I was counting calories for about a week or two.  When I met with her she told me I should pay more attention to my protein and carbs.  She explained to me how to calculate the number of calories per gram of protein, and the carbs.  I give her a meal plan on a weekly basis, I don't see why she didn't point that out.

She told me not to worry about my calorie intake because if I get at least 70-80 grams of protein in daily, my caloric intake is fine...So I don't know, but when I go see her again the end of this month, I will surely bring that point up...

Thanks a lot.

Most Active