Officially "underweight" & Scared!

JRinAZ
on 12/15/08 3:38 pm - Layton, UT
My BMI is in the "below normal" range now.    I seem to having a dumping (light headed, lethargic, zero energy) reaction to absolutely EVERYTHING I eat.  So, my appetite is picky/declining.  .....  One surgeon's opinion is that I am fine and "let's wait and see what your next set of labs tell us".  One surgeon thought I should have had a revision to my revision 13 pounds ago......  One surgeon wants me on the table right after the Holidays!

I'd rather "FIX" me myself if possible.  Suggestions?  Any blender concoctions guaranteed to put some weight back on, load me up nutritionally and hit my system without major dumping?

Recipes please?  Ideas?  Slams of my surgeon are definitely going to happen but really, how does that help ME?  And, whatever, right?  If the damage is done then I just need help from y'all to get fixed!!!  And....everyone's results with ANY surgeon are going to vary.  Mine have been especially rough!  My 2008 has been a killer!

HELP!!!!

Thanks bunches!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

happy girl
on 12/15/08 9:13 pm
I assume  one of those surgeons you are referring to is the surgeon who did your revision, right?  My first thought is to see Dr S and see what he thinks, but you probably have done that.

You have an ERNY right?  maybe post on the DS board, I think they are fairly accepting of distals and extended RNY's (in my experience anyway since we have common channel lengths in common), someone there might have an idea.

The only think I can think of is going on TPN, maybe you could discuss that with the doctor?

best wishes

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Ruth A.
on 12/16/08 3:18 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
I can only think of high calorie suppliment drinks like ensure that they give to patients who can't eat, or that body builders have?  But they may make you dump.  Although it won't fulfil your nutricional needs, fat is high in calories and probably won't make you dump if you can cook things in olive oil?

It does seem a better idea to try to 'fix' the problem yourself rather than going for the further risks of surgery.

hugs and hope you get things sorted soon.  Please keep us posted
Nita S.
on 12/16/08 10:49 am, edited 12/16/08 10:50 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Joyce,  I did send you a pm, but my computer does not always do what I want.  I googled whey protein powder to gain weight and got something called Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass.  It has  50 grams of protein in each serving and 1250 calories.  Now everyone do not be shocked at this, she needs to GAIN, so if you drink one shake a day plus what ever else you do it may help.  I did notice they had a banana flavor which I seem to remember is one of your favorites. 

VitaSprings.com - Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass, Weight Gainer,  this is where I found it.  I have ot tasted it, so I can not be sure of the taste.  Get better please!!! Nita

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

felijake
on 12/16/08 4:04 pm - WI
I have the same questin.  I have to gain 10 pounds before my surgen will undo me and also fix my ulcers that are on my suture line.  I went from a starting weight of 239 to 88.  I dont think we can fix ourselves.  I think the only one who can fix us is the dr's.  I am hoping that both of us can be fixed and I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear some good news from you soon.
ddam7
on 12/16/08 8:33 pm - crystal lake, IL
Hi Joyce,
 Its Dee. I am so sorry to hear you do not feel well. Besides maybe gaining weight you could go to the health food store and buy green powder drink. It is loaded with nutrition not calories but everything to help put your body in a healthy state.Thats what you really need so you can start feeling good. i would try 3 to 4 drinks a day, the scoops are really small compaired to protein scoops, and 6-8 oz of any liquid will do.I have a few different kinds that I take 1 is called Amazing grass Green Super Food you can get it at Whole Foods or go to vitacost.com for a better price but it does take about a week to get it from them. You also can go to the Vitamin shoppe in chandler and ask what is a good company that sells the green drink They can advise you .I know that will help PS I am coming to Az on Dec 26th for 3 months  We have to get together i cant wait to meet you in person Dee
~~Sami~~ *.
on 12/17/08 10:16 am - Jacksonville, FL
Does your doctor have you on pancreatic enzymes?? If not, you should try those.  They should help you absorb more calories.  (Creon is one Brand, I believe.)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

vitalady
on 12/18/08 5:02 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I guess I sorta stumbled across this board in looking for something else, but I AM a revision, so I guess I can speak?

I already was a distal RNY, but had a staple line disruption in 2000, so had a repair to it.

What I would ALWAYS say is to make sure you remain nourished, very well nourished, and do not try to gain wt. 15 lbs come back free anyway. So, if you put 15 on and 15 come back automatically, do you want to be 30 lbs heavier?

I've been underweight 3 x in 14 yrs. After I passed goal originally (and the wt swung back 'n forth for 6 months before parking), at 9 yrs (when I had an inner ear thing that prevented me from eating) and currently. We live in hideously stressful times and a lil stress makes me eat, like everyone, but mega stress like this? No food, thanks, my body is busy processing one disaster after another.

I've been chunky 3 x in 14 yrs. Sugar, sugar and sugar. Did I mention that sugar is a sure wt gainer? The 3rd time didn't come off as easily as #1 and #2. I had to make super human efforts to reverse that one, and am terrified of another that will not reverse.

Since I live with a little short common channel, I still cling to my protein and vites regimen as the one stable point in my life. It's the food that's not so good. I'm about 15# under right now, too. BUT, I know that the 15# will come back should the horrors of my current life ever give me a break and let me process one crisis before another hits. The appetite always returns!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/08 2:30 am, edited 12/20/08 2:31 am - AZ
On December 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote: My BMI is in the "below normal" range now.    I seem to having a dumping (light headed, lethargic, zero energy) reaction to absolutely EVERYTHING I eat.  So, my appetite is picky/declining.  .....  One surgeon's opinion is that I am fine and "let's wait and see what your next set of labs tell us".  One surgeon thought I should have had a revision to my revision 13 pounds ago......  One surgeon wants me on the table right after the Holidays!

I'd rather "FIX" me myself if possible.  Suggestions?  Any blender concoctions guaranteed to put some weight back on, load me up nutritionally and hit my system without major dumping?

Recipes please?  Ideas?  Slams of my surgeon are definitely going to happen but really, how does that help ME?  And, whatever, right?  If the damage is done then I just need help from y'all to get fixed!!!  And....everyone's results with ANY surgeon are going to vary.  Mine have been especially rough!  My 2008 has been a killer!

HELP!!!!

Thanks bunches!

Joyce...

While you and I obviously have our difference my heart does go out to you now.  When I wanted to revise from a band to sleeve I waited too long and gave myself no wiggle room for weight loss during the post op diet.  I knew this was a strong chance and it was still something I wanted to do.  My BMI dropped to about yours right after surgery no matter how much sugar I ate.

Since you are still losing and not maintaining and you can't eat anything without dumping you really might want to consider TPN w/Lipids.  Technically it can be run at night while you sleep and during the day nobody will even know you have it.  If your BMI goes too low and you get too weak you won't be a good surgical risk.  Then what will you do?

Right now the issue is not losing and maintaining electrolytes.  When one goes out of whack the rest follow so you need to get on top of this and quickly.

Most Active