Which is better VSG and DS?

JSIL
on 12/17/08 9:09 am
Hi, I am a band to VSG revision.  The restriction of the VSG is completely different than the band.  I had a bad experience with the band, hated it.  Anyway, I am bad at taking pills and I was not interested in the malabsorption factor.  So, that is why I chose the VSG.  So far, I am very happy with my choice.  I also had a BMI of 36, and after 5 weeks am down 20 lbs.  I find that I have to remember to eat, I am not hungry.  Any questions, feel free to PM me.  Good luck with your choice.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/18/08 1:41 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Thanks for replying.  I'm going to a seminar in January 09.  Excited to get more info on the VSG.   I will keep you informed.  Thanks. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

~~Sami~~ *.
on 12/17/08 10:11 am, edited 12/17/08 10:12 am - Jacksonville, FL
I think with a BMI of 37 or 38, if you do go after the DS, please be sure you have a surgeon who gives you a longer CC.  I would be worried that you might lose too much if you had the typical 100 cm common channel.

I'm a Lap-Band to VSG revision.  I can tell you that life is 1000x better than with the Band.  I feel normal.  I have a normal stomach.  Things do not get stuck.  I do not PB on anything.  There is nothing I cannot eat... I just eat smaller quantities (but not that small, to be honest.)

I was interested in a DS revision, because as a Type 2 diabetic, with a lifetime of MO, and one failed bariatric surgery behind me.. it made sense.  My BMI was in the low 40s when I had my revision.  I did not have the DS revision because my surgeon was concerned about what he would find when he went to remove my Band after having it for seven years.  He had done a few Band revisions which had taken quite a long-time.  So, with three young kids under five, the VSG made more sense from a risk standpoint.

I'm losing slowly... but surely and pretty effortlessly.  I'm not doing any low-carb stuff, but I do exercise.  I eat protein first.  I'm down a little over 50 pounds in 5 months.  I'm very close to my lowest weight ever with my Band.  I'm hoping to lose 30 pounds or so in the next 7 months.  If I could drop another 20, I'd be perfectly happy.  Anything more than that is a bonus.

Whichever operation you choose, please choose an experienced revision surgeon.  It's not something to mess around with.  Any DS doc can easily do a VSG revision... but it doesn't work the other way around. :)

As for your Band, give it a chance.  I think it took me 6 or so fills to find good restriction.  I probably had 8 fills my first year...at leats.  So, please try with your Band... use it properly (FILLS).. .and then only revise if you really need to.  Revisions can be very serious... and can result in death just like any other surgery.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/18/08 1:48 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Thanks for replying.  I'm going to a seminar in Jan 09.  He does revisions, he does RYNs and VGS he also does bands.  I've heard good things about this surgeon.  I just hope I don't get turned away because I've had my band for 8 months.  I've had 3 fills and I 'm not sure what he is going to say.  We will see.  Thanks for all the info.   

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

~~Sami~~ *.
on 12/18/08 2:53 am - Jacksonville, FL
Well, you can argue based on your slow loss in eight months... as well as just the miserable long-term data on the Band. (Check my profile for some studies.)  

In my experience, most docs are comfortable revising a Band to an RNY or VSG if the person's BMI isn't too high.  If you do want to throw the DS in the mix, then just be sure you are seeing a good DS surgeon.  One who has good volume and a good reputation.  You can find a list on duodenalswitch.com  or just ask the people on the DS forum.  One thing I did find when I looked into it, was that many wanted to keep my Band in as well as do a DS.  I wanted the evil silicone thing out... so that sort of eliminated those surgeons from my list.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active