Which is better VSG and DS?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/14/08 12:39 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi,

I had the band surgery on April 04, 08.   My BMI is about 37 or 38.  Wondering what the difference is and which of the two is better.  I need to lose about 75 or 80 lbs.  I only lost 5 - 7 lbs with the lap band.  I'm always hungry, just could not eat only 4 oz of food at each meal.  What do you think? 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

LeaAnn
on 12/14/08 1:35 am - Huntsville, AL

VSG is restriction ONLY.  DS is restriction + malabsorption of bad fat calories.  Do you want to simply EAT LESS, or be able to eat rich, tasty fat-laden foods without absorbing the fat?  If you like the idea of free fat calories, can you truthfully commit to sticking with a strict supplement regime to replace the vitamins/minerals you will also malabsorb?  

Personally, I wanted as little restriction and most malabsorption I could get.  I knew I wanted to still enjoy my food and keep the weight off.  I'm 3 years out with my DS, and I don't see how I could possibly be maintaining my 100-lb weight loss without the malabsorption now that my stomach has stretched back to a pretty good size.

GoingMobile
on 12/14/08 5:55 am - San Dimas, CA
....because malabsorbing fat is good for your heart and arteries? Because you can eat fat doesn't mean you should. IMO with the lower BMI you'll be very happy with the VSG. Both are actually very good depending on your situation. If you have HBP or diabetes I would choose the DS, the cure rate is better and immediate. without those issue I would think you can be very successful with the VSG. 

research both and talk to a Dr that does botha dn see what he/she thinks
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 6:21 am - Woodbridge, VA
On December 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, GoingMobile wrote: ....because malabsorbing fat is good for your heart and arteries? Because you can eat fat doesn't mean you should.

Actually, if you malabsorb the fat, that means your body DOES NOT ABSORB IT, so yes, malabsorbing fat IS good for your heart and arteries. I'm not sure there is such thing as someone who had the DS and had worse cholesterol after the surgery than before, even when eating MORE fat after the surgery. Cholesterol is always improved, and I have yet to hear of a DSer having a heart attack.

Also, we have some lightweights (BMI 35-40) who have had the DS and have been very successful. If you qualify for WLS, you qualify for the DS.

If you have a restriction-only procedure right now (the band) that isn't working for you, do you think revising to another restriction-only procedure will work?
LeaAnn
on 12/15/08 2:38 am - Huntsville, AL
On December 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, GoingMobile wrote:
....because malabsorbing fat is good for your heart and arteries? Because you can eat fat doesn't mean you should. IMO with the lower BMI you'll be very happy with the VSG. Both are actually very good depending on your situation. If you have HBP or diabetes I would choose the DS, the cure rate is better and immediate. without those issue I would think you can be very successful with the VSG. 

research both and talk to a Dr that does botha dn see what he/she thinks

Gee, I'm sorry you got operated on without fully understanding what malabsorption entails! 

"....because malabsorbing fat is good for your heart and arteries?"

Um....yeh.  My cholesterol went from OMFG Pre-op to perfect after my DS.  What part of MALABSORBING FAT would NOT be good for your heart and arteries?

"Because you can eat fat doesn't mean you should."

Why not?  It just means I'll be happy with sticking to the diet I need to maintain my weightloss long term.  If there are no negative consequences for eating fat, then why should I NOT eat fat?

GoingMobile
on 12/14/08 6:44 am - San Dimas, CA
yeah I do because the stomach si removed so is the grhelin hormone so you don't ahve the hunger you have with the band You also can onl eat 2-4 ounces, food or liquids, before you feel real bad and want to puke from overeating. yeah I think another rstrictive ony surgery will work. worked wonders for me so far.
PekinSal
on 12/14/08 6:51 am - UK
Sorry to **** on your parade but you've only had the band for 8 months and only tried (from your profile) two fills. Depending on the type of band you have, it can take up to 8 fills before you find restriction, so you seem to be giving up on what you've got rather quickly.

If you didn't know this before you were banded, you should have done more research. You shouldn't be rushing to get any revision without talking to your lapband surgeon first. Revisions are dangerous, much more dangerous than first surgeries, and you shouldn't take this lightly.

DS revision from failed lapband

babsintx
on 12/14/08 9:24 am - GA
Hi,

I agree with the other posters. You have had two fills and have little restriction. When my band was working properly, a meal was about 4-6 ounces. I had a band for 5 years and now I have a sleeve. I am doing great with restrictive only, but also did great the fist time around with the band when it worked properly. Go get a fill.

Babs

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/08 12:04 pm

I was revised this past November 11th from band to VSG. I was doing ok with the band the first few months, then after about the 3rd or 4th fill, I couldn't keep anything down. And went back and forth with trying to find my "sweetspot". I decided that the voimiting wasn't the quality of life for me. I can eat almost anything, but only small portions. Then I fill full. I definitely like this better than the band. Getting a revision is major just like getting the first surgery. I am not sure how many fills you've had, but try getting another one. I will not point the finger at you and make you feel bad and tell you it is your fault for not doing your research. You went to the seminars, met with your doc etc etc. We all did that!!. They don't tell you everything that will happen when you get any type of weightloss surgery. They can't tell you, because your body is different and will react differently.  Some people are very successful, others are not. I have a sister that is 10 years out with RNY and she has kept 110 pounds off. But she follows the same program she did in the beginning. Portion control and excercise. I suggest you meeting and talking to people in person who have gotten DS and VSG. Then talk to your doctor and You decide what is right for you. There is no one "right" surgery or way to lose weight for every person, as we are all different.  I wish you the best in whatever you choose.
Sally J.

JRinAZ
on 12/15/08 3:16 pm - Layton, UT
On December 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM Pacific Time, sally J. wrote:

I was revised this past November 11th from band to VSG. I was doing ok with the band the first few months, then after about the 3rd or 4th fill, I couldn't keep anything down. And went back and forth with trying to find my "sweetspot". I decided that the voimiting wasn't the quality of life for me. I can eat almost anything, but only small portions. Then I fill full. I definitely like this better than the band. Getting a revision is major just like getting the first surgery. I am not sure how many fills you've had, but try getting another one. I will not point the finger at you and make you feel bad and tell you it is your fault for not doing your research. You went to the seminars, met with your doc etc etc. We all did that!!. They don't tell you everything that will happen when you get any type of weightloss surgery. They can't tell you, because your body is different and will react differently.  Some people are very successful, others are not. I have a sister that is 10 years out with RNY and she has kept 110 pounds off. But she follows the same program she did in the beginning. Portion control and excercise. I suggest you meeting and talking to people in person who have gotten DS and VSG. Then talk to your doctor and You decide what is right for you. There is no one "right" surgery or way to lose weight for every person, as we are all different.  I wish you the best in whatever you choose.
Sally J.

Hey there Sally J!
Loved your post!  So well written!  So P.C.!  Soooooo right on!!!!

Holiday Huggggzzz!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active