3 Surgeries Later

ggmichael
on 12/13/08 8:04 am
Ok so I had a jujoneal bypass in 1976 to lose weight (it bypasses part of the intestine).  I lost 75 pounds but then had constant loose bowels so it was reversed in 1980 and a gastric staple was done...again I lost 75 pounds, so I gained back all of that and then about 130 lbs and in 2000 I had a gastric bypass.  The surgery was 9 hours long and the doc said he couldn't make my pouch very small because of the scar tissue :(  So I lost about 100 lbs and then started to gain again; I have gained 80 back.  I weight 330lbs.  I am 50 years old and desperate, diabetic, etc.  Anybody think I am crazy to think of trying a 4th?  I don't even think a doc will touch me, but haven't tried.  I just don't know what else to do.  Anybody had multiple weight loss surgeries?  Thanks.
pepsi98
on 12/13/08 8:28 am - Norwich, CT
On December 13, 2008 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, ggmichael wrote:
Ok so I had a jujoneal bypass in 1976 to lose weight (it bypasses part of the intestine).  I lost 75 pounds but then had constant loose bowels so it was reversed in 1980 and a gastric staple was done...again I lost 75 pounds, so I gained back all of that and then about 130 lbs and in 2000 I had a gastric bypass.  The surgery was 9 hours long and the doc said he couldn't make my pouch very small because of the scar tissue :(  So I lost about 100 lbs and then started to gain again; I have gained 80 back.  I weight 330lbs.  I am 50 years old and desperate, diabetic, etc.  Anybody think I am crazy to think of trying a 4th?  I don't even think a doc will touch me, but haven't tried.  I just don't know what else to do.  Anybody had multiple weight loss surgeries?  Thanks.
My story has some similarities to yours...I just had a band placed over my old gastric stapling from 1982.  So far so good, of course it's only been 3 days!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

ALABAMA
on 12/13/08 8:28 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
no you are not crazy.
you still have weight to lose.
PekinSal
on 12/14/08 7:05 am - UK

You sound like a WLS experiment - born too early for the surgeons to know what they're doing!

If you're diabetic I'd fight for the duodenal switch because it cures it straightaway. It would also use the restricted stomach you already have with the malabsorbtion of the DS - the surgeons have got better at working out how to do this now without giving you bowel problems. So far you've had restriction (stapling and bypass) or malabsorbtion (jujoneal bypass) but not both at the same time!

But whether you can have anything depends on the technical things of how much scar tissue you might have and what might need to be altered. All I can suggest is that you talk to a brilliant revision surgeon and see what they say - the DS revision surgeons tend to be the best I think because if you can do a DS revision you can do anything!

I hope you get some answers and some hope, let us know how you get on

DS revision from failed lapband

ggmichael
on 12/14/08 8:01 am
Thank you for the responses.  I feel like a WLS experiment LOLOL...I just wi**** would work.  I need to look at the Duodenal Switch closer to understand it.  I live in Houston and I did see on this board where there were others looking for a doctor in Houston to do that type of revision.  I thought Dr. Spiegel did it so I am going to call them and chat. 
Pat J.
on 12/26/08 11:47 am - DeFuniak Springs, FL
I am seeing Dr. Jeffrey Lord in Pensacola, Fl. He teaches bariatric surgey!! He has never lost a patient and has "fixed" other doctors mistakes. He has had patients that were dying flown into him and they have survived. Please check out his website
http://www.sacred-heart.org/page.asp?ID=267
Besides recovering on sugar white beaches can't be all bad! Good luck and good health. Pat

Most Active