What revision should I do

wings
on 12/12/08 12:37 pm - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I have lap band and I am 3-years out I have lost 120 and have 100+ to go but I have not lost anymore for 1-year.  I just loose and regain the same 20 pounds over and over again.  I puke all the time and stay stuck all the time.   I need to know what you all think, VSG, DS, RNY.  Convince me which one would be the best.
Thanks Wings
weightwatcher07
on 12/13/08 2:52 am - Dallas, TX
Do your homework. I went and the doctor I ended up with an Erny and it is working better than the first surgery. I was thinking revision weightloss is slower but not in my case. Talk to others and so research on what you think your body needs.
\
Good Luck
wings
on 12/13/08 11:53 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
From what I can see with my own eyes and what others have said a lot of us need a second surgery to finish our goals.  I am very disappointed right now cause I worked very hard at this regardless what the office and nutritionist might think and I still have 100+ to loose and it has been a year of stuggling to stay wear I am at and maintain.
Wings
happy girl
on 12/13/08 3:06 am
i thyink you need to research them all and decide.  I don't think it's up to anyone here to convince you of one over the other.  What can you live with, what will help with your medical conditions.  what does your insurance cover, can you afford self pay, do you have a dr in mind who will do a revison and is experienced in revisions.

good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

wings
on 12/13/08 11:55 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I am asking 100's of questions and reading everything I can and I have inquired appt's with several doctors and I am going to see my lap band Dr on Tuesday.
Thanks Wings
~~Sami~~ *.
on 12/17/08 10:21 am - Jacksonville, FL
I would not do a VSG if you've already maxed out a restrictive only operation.  Plus, I can eat a lot more with my VSG than I ever did with a Band, so to me.. that would also nix that operation.

Personally, I'd go for a DS ONLY if you think you can commit to eating 100 grams of protein per day for life, vitamins for life, and bloodwork for life.  If you can... then, go for a DS.  It has the best long-term results in terms of maintained weight loss... plus, I see way too many RNYers looking for revisions... and very few DSers.  You don't want to be here again in five years!

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

wings
on 12/17/08 10:42 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

Yep your are so right and DS is what I want.  I saw Dr. C and he told me same thing about restrictive part of VSG that you are saying.  I need malabsorption part because I have 100+ more to loose but the lap band did take 120 off of me with little excercise.  What gets me though is I am waling 1 hour 10 min a day (4 miles ) and still have restriction sometimes, well most the time I throw up everything I eat and get stuck and all that other crap that you already know about cause you probably had it too and I stay within a 20 pound range up and down. I have done that for a year.  So I don't think anyone can say I make bad food choices all time but if you ask that nutritionist, it is my fault lol.  I do not eat 1/4 of what I used to put down before lap band.  That is amazing.  I already have to take handfull of vitamins a day and right now protien is low so I am doing supplements and they are not that bad and simple.  So if I can take 15 min of my time 2 to 3 times a day to take vitamins, minerals and protien supplement everyday than that is a easy price to pay.  I already get bld work every 3 to 6 months because I am on provastin and levoxyl. 
I am ready for the change just have to put it in Gods hands to bring that change soon.
Wings

~~Sami~~ *.
on 12/17/08 10:45 am - Jacksonville, FL
Good luck.  I think Dr. Husted is now in Kentucky... he's a very experienced DS/revision surgeon.  You might want to contact him. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

wings
on 12/17/08 11:19 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Dr. Husted's insurance girl Ellen has jumped on it for me.   Unlike the other office (I don't want to bash anyone) really.  He is in Sommerset Ky and the hospital he does his surgery at is geting the Center of Excellence thing within 3 to 6 months hopfully the sooner and she told me that when Anthem turns it down then Medicare will pick it up and that is exactly what medicare told me.  I do not understand how the insurance guru at the other place just flat out said no neither insurance will cover a revision to "Good luck, sorry we cannot help you and goodbye".  Oh, well like I said before God will make it happen, I just have to let him make it happen.  It may not be with Dr. Husted, it may be with someone else but at least the ball is rolling now. 
Wings
Most Active