shooting pain...is this gas?

kimmy1026
on 12/12/08 9:26 am
I know you can't give me medical advise but I am having lower abdominal pains, they are just these random shooting pain that makes me want to scream, and then they are gone. I had surgery Monday morning and got out on Wednesday afternoon. I called today because I am almost out of the pain meds already. Called Dr today and he said if it don't get better by tomorrow to call him early am. He also wanted me to consider going to ER and  I am not trying be silly and not cautious but OMG.....I don't want to go through anything else. Can anyone share with me if they had or know of someone that went through this. Otherwise  I feel good.

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 2:13 am, edited 12/14/08 2:15 am - Togo
Please include more information. What type of surgery did you have on Monday?

if you had surgery only a few days ago and are in pain and don't know what its about and your doctor won't see you right now - maybe going to the er room would be a good idea. 

another thought - flatulence can be painful, particularly after just having stomach surgery. but it is momentary and does pass.  
again - if flatulence is what it is.

flatulence is a gas that moves about and patients have been known to describe it as a 'shooting' pain as it moves quickly from one space to another.

on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the pain, how long does it last each time, and how often is it happening?

And what type of surgery did you have on Monday?

kimmy1026
on 12/14/08 4:26 am
Due to problems with first Rouen Y Bypass Sept 2005, I had to have a revision. The pain is shooting pain and just hit me without warning especially if I don't have the pain meds. I am slowly starting to pass the gas but not much else. I did increase my water or at least I am trying. Oh on a scale from 1-10, the answer is probably a 9, I usually yelp when it hits.

I am feeling much better overall but don't really get why my doctor is acting like I shouldn't be in pain not even a week after surgery. I see him Tuesday and we will have to talk. Also I may ask for something to help me pass this dreadful gas. Thanks for responding. Other than that all is well. On clear liquids for another 2 weeks!
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 6:48 pm - Togo
Glad to hear your feeling better. Definitely do talk to him about it and ask why he wouldn't prescribe more medicine.

If you have run out of your pain meds you may have taken too much too fast and that can cause stomach pain - generally cramping though. 

A scale of 9 is really up there. Are you certain it is that high. 10 is generally considered the pain received from a car wreck, while 1 is generally considered a mild headache. So a 9 is pretty high. Something needs to be done about managing your pain. Do talk to your doctor. And know too that it will - or at least it should - subside within a reasonable amount of time. Everyone varies depending on their tolerance level and medical background.

Glad to hear your feeling a little better. Hang in there. 

Most Active