Newbie to Revision - Need your help!

jonijames
on 12/12/08 1:09 am - Louisville, KY
Hello, all!

I had a bypass in September of 2005, and have done well for the most part.  I had a recurring ulcer that perforated in March and landed me in ICU.  I have been hospitalized a few times since then, and the ulcer is no longer healing with medication.  I have had several endoscopies and two surgical consults, and the docs agree that the ulcer appears to be related to a lack of blood flow. As a result I need to have a revision to remove the ulcer and to reconnect my chitlins, hoping that it will correct the issue.  I just want to stop hurting!  

In terms of weight, I am about 145-150 (started at 265, lowest 140 with some regain in the last year or so).  I am 5'4'' so I don't need to drop a lot, I think medical "normal" is 135-ish. 

Okay, so now that you have the background, I have questions!  

After a revision, is it like starting over?  Meaning, will I be as sensitive to what I eat as I did after the original surgery? I was so sick for months after my initial surgery, and would dump on just about anything.  I was nauseated 24-7, and I'm reliving those memories as my surgery draws closer.  Now I very rarely dump, I can eat a few bites of desserts, I can tolerate "tough" foods (when my ulcer is behaving), etc.  I'm wondering if I'll go back to tiny meals and ultra-sensitivity.

Also, has anyone been through a revision for a non-weight related medical issue?  If you were close to goal, did you become underweight?  I cannot imagine after being obese or "pretty plus" for my ENTIRE life being underweight!  Sigh...  

Thank you for any help you can provide!  
Joni
reenieb
on 12/12/08 3:36 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Joni, I'm sorry for all the difficulties you've endured since your initial surgery. It sounds as if you are already scheduled for your revision surgery, is this correct? What type procedure are you having and when? The first thing I would do if I were you is consider this more of a medical necessisity rather than any weight-loss related assistance; of course, it is hard to address your questions without knowing what type procedure you will be having so I will wait to hear from you. Except to say you need to get healthy and well so you're doing the right thing in pursuing surgery to fix the ulcer problem! Best, Maureen
jonijames
on 12/12/08 11:09 am - Louisville, KY
 Hi, Maureen!  Thanks for writing!

I don't know what type of procedure I will have...  This happened pretty fast, I'm scheduled on the 26th, and I was drugged (from the endoscopy) when the surgeon talked to my family.  Are there different types of revisions?  All he indicated is that he would remove the ulcer...

Dang, I don't even know what questions to ask!  

Thank you!!!!
Most Active