From Band to Sleeve

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/11/08 1:18 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi There,

I'm so sad & fustrated about the lap band.  I just had the surgery in April 08.  Before surgery after the pre op diet I lost 10 lbs.  I have had 3 fills and so far have lost about 3 or 5 lbs more.  What my problem is that I know I eat too much and I must have stretched my pouch. I can't help the over eating because I'm always hungry.  I'm type II diabetic, I have high blood pressure and suffer from depression, also my mom died of congested heart failure so did my brother only he had a stroke and then died of heart congestion failure too.  Losing weight is important to me, I don't want to have a heart attack, stroke or get heart congestion failure.

I do eat the healthy food I just eat a lot of it.  Sometimes, I get depressed and pig out on the wrong type of  food too.  As far as exercising , I have real bad bunions and flat feet.    I hear that there are many people out there that do not exercise and still loose the weight. 

The nurse at my doctor's office said that I need to change my mind set.  It's not that easy when your stomach is growling and you are hungry like a wolf.

My health insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal already told me that they will not pay for the revision, unless the doctor reports that the surgery was done wrong or the band slipped.   I really regret having the LAP BAND done.  I hear so many good things about the vertical sleeve, that you don't get hungry and you have restriction too.  

Is there anyone out there like me?  Any advice, please be kind and don't judge.  Thanks.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

PekinSal
on 12/11/08 5:25 am - UK
Firstly your nurse is an idiot and if I lived nearer I would come and tell her so...

But anyway, don't despair! I was in a similar position with a crappy lapband that either didnt work for me or I didn't work for it - who cares, it didn't work. I was diabetic too, and starting to lose my sight - time was running out. My mom suffers from neuropathy, retinopathy and every diabetic complication there is, and most of her siblings have died from the same, or heart problems or strokes - not nice when you know the path you're on!

I picked DS because it cures type 2 diabetes within hours, regardless of what weight you lose, and you don't get it back. I'm now cured, so that's one less thing to worry about. It also has the best stats for weight loss, which I thought I needed as a revision.

Thirdly though its the easiest to live with. I can eat high fat, I have to eat high protein, and I'm stopped from eating carbs by the threat of gas. But I don't actually like them much now - the surgery changes your chemistry too. I don't like chocolate anymore, and I don't feel hungry because the sleeve stomach the DS involves removes all the hunger-hormone producing tissue from your stomach.

I bang on and on about the DS not because I'm dissing other surgeries but because it works - not many DSers come on this board seeking revision! It has a price - firstly I had to self pay, but it was worth it already. You have to eat protein, you have to take vitamins, and you have to get regular blood tests. But then I was doing this anyway with diabetes so it makes no difference to me.

Look carefully into all the surgeries and speak to a good surgeon who can do all of them. Then think about it and work out how much willpower you have - I have very little, and DS suits that!

Best of luck

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/16/08 1:34 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
You are quite awesome, thanks so much for your imput.  I,m so glad I am able to talk to someone who knows where I'm coming from.  God willing, I plan to have the DS done, it's
a matter of finding an excellent surgeon.  I live in Midwest City, Oklahoma next to Oklahoma City.  Have a blessed Christmas and Prosperous New Year........

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

GoingMobile
on 12/14/08 5:58 am - San Dimas, CA
the only thing I will add to the above post si the VSG is the first half of the DS, same procedure w/o the malabsorbtion so far less vitamins issues down the road.
like she said if you have diabetes the DS is the way to go
Most Active