Doesn't Work?

Ruth A.
on 12/10/08 3:47 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
ON the one hand I am very pleased that I have reached 170lbs after weighing 266 before rny.  BUT...I am very frustrated that I am still not in a normal bmi weight range, so in that respect wish I had opted orinally for more bypass to get the most out of the malabsorption.  I think my stomach wasn't made small enough or that I was bypassed enough.  I don't get the benefit of dumping which was one of the main reasons I chose rny over other options, so am disappointed in that.

Research ALL your options and chose the right surgery FOR YOU.

Ruth
DMS923
on 12/11/08 5:40 am - NY
I am confused.  Everyone here is saying that they gained back all of their weight....how can that be? Does your stomach stretch back to where it was pre surgery?  It goes back to the full size it was?  I am feeling so dis-enhartened by this post.

Oh and the straw thing? My surgeon didn't say dont use a straw.
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
reenieb
on 12/12/08 4:00 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Donna, read my response post to "Caugt Between a Rock and a Hard Place" - a few posts up from yours; tough talk but I needed to say it and I believe it will answer your question here as well. Let me know if you need further clarification. As for the straw, after the gastric bypass, you are not supposed to drink from a straw because so much air travels from within the straw (with whatever it is that you are drinking) into the pouch, which causes stretching of the pouch. I had my surgery in 2004 and I have not drank from a straw since - don't miss it at all. Best, Maureen
ladydi1970
on 12/12/08 10:14 am - GA
Donna,
your body says "Ok, this is all you're going to give me?  Well ok, I'll make do"  That's how a person regains the weight.

Because if you don't change your mindset, and LEARN the right things to eat, the right things to do (exercise and water) during the honeymood period, you will regain.   Your body adapts to the small amount of food you eat.  Yes, your stomach will stretch out quite a bit, but not to the orginial size. 

After the honeymoon period, it's not the amount so much, as it is what you eat.  At least that's what it is for me.

When I was first out.  I could eat a 1/2 of a baloney & cheese sandwich on whole wheat at one time.  And getting the last bite in, was if-y. (Might come back up, might not)   Now, I can eat 3/4 of on in one sitting, and can finish the other 1/4 in about 15 mins.  So my stomach is streached some, but again...baloney and cheeese isn't the smartest food for an RNY'er to eat in the first place.  See where I'm going with this?  For me, I need restriction AND malabsorption. 

With a DS, your body only absorbs 20% of what you put into it.  Yes, that does include all the vitamins you need.  Thus that's why a lot of DS'ers take handfuls of vits a day and some through out the day.  But hey, I'm taking a handful of prescription meds now everyday.  I'm hoping the DS will take all of thoes away.

RNY is awsome for the first few years.  It is a tool, if you can work it.   Me?  Not so much.

Good luck with your search!

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

Katrina B.
on 12/13/08 11:24 pm - Prestonsburg, KY

I just wanted to point out RNY has both restriction and malabsorption.
The DS can also fail, too. Obviously not nearly as often as RNY does.

Also following DS you absorb approximately 20% of fats, 60% of protein, 60% of complex carbohydrates but 100% of simple carbohydrates (sugar). This was taken directly from www.dsfacts.com

It is an awesome surgery ... & you've picked a great surgeon.

nursekrista35
on 12/12/08 12:44 am - louisville, OH
i am a revision to a rny and i am soo happy that i did it. my revision was due to a constant vomiting issue from a vbg. i have lost below my goal weight and i am the smallest i have ever been. before my surgery i was a size 24 and now wear a size 4. i did however have ps from the loose skin. my point is this u have to change your lifestyle! u cant eat what u want when u want thats what gets us fat in the first place and u must excersize!!!!! i hate to do it but i always do it or i will regain weight and just plain feel like crap. this surgery doesnt alter your brain we must do it for ourselves. i personally am glad i have dumping on some foods its my bodys way of saying thats bad why are u eating this???? u must decide what surgery is best for u. what might work for me might  not for u. behaivorsare the hardest to change......
mew6495
on 12/13/08 10:56 pm - MI
 I had my original RNY in 2001.  Yes there is changes you will have to make with "any" wls to be successful for a life time.  Each different wls has it's  advantages and disadvantages.  The one that is right for you is dependent on what you can tolerate and feel you can stay compliant with.

I recently had a revision to ERNY.  I had the revision for several reasons, one being because I gained back some of my weight (not all).  Some of this being because of my own decisions and not following the healthy life style changes I should have made.   My pouch did stretch, which is normal for any RNYer, I went from being able to only eat at couple of tablespoons of food early out, to being able to eat maybe 4 to 6 oz.  Which isn't a lot at one time and if you make the right choices in food you can control the empty calorie intake.  The only thing I wished I would have done back in 2001 is to have the surgeon extend my bypassed portion more so that I would have got the long term advantage of the higher success rate.   I now have a 75 cm cc and am extremely happy with it. 

No WLS is a "fix all".  Please don't go into with that frame of mind or you will surely be disappointed several years down the line.  WLS are very powerful tools that will work if they are worked with.  There are many options out there.  Do your research and you will find the one that is the right one for you.

Good Luck.
Most Active