Doesn't Work?

Dubree63
on 12/10/08 1:25 am - Moline, IL
OK I'm pre-op. I see my surgeon Jan 13th.  With everything I have tried in the past and having not worked....is there a chance that if I follow my Dr. orders.....will the RNY not work????  Has anyone been disappointed with it?

Cindy
reenieb
on 12/10/08 2:46 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Cindy - I'd do it again in a heartbeat; I lost 216 lbs., surgery in March of 2004 - I'm up 15 lbs. from my lowest weight and am struggling mightily against further regain. But we're talking 5 years from my original gastric bypass surgery. You will eventually get your hunger back. You MUST adopt new, healthy lifestyle changes and behaviors - regular and vigorous exercise must become a part of your life; healthy daily eating must become a part of your life; a positive outlook and the ways in which you "give yourself away" to your family, your community, your world - in other words, get out of your own way so that you are less inclined to be self-centered and you will be more inclined to live fully - these are the tools to staying vigilent in healthy living. You will lose your weight, the surgery will almost certainly assure you of that. But it will be up to you - and it is very, very difficult - to keep it off. All the best, Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/08 11:31 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Hi Maureen- I am so excited to hear that you have kept so much weight off.  I thought you had gained back all the weight you lost.  I actually have worried about you for the past year.  I know how hard you struggle with the large stoma cause I had a 25mm one.  The restore brought mine down to 16 mm but I really doubt that it is there anymore.  I am trying to have an xray or scope or something.  I have an appt with my surgeon the end of January.  I am thinking of going back to Dr. Catalano if he can see me sooner.  Has anyone scoped you since the Restore procedure?  I just had such high hopes for the RNY and the Restore.  Please take care and congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment.  Daisy
Lorena_1
on 12/11/08 11:04 pm - Aurora, CO
I am currently waiting for January 8, 2009, the day I will have my lapband surgery done.  Your advice was so inspirational and something I will keep in my mind.  Thank You
ladydi1970
on 12/10/08 7:24 am, edited 12/10/08 7:25 am - GA
oK, no one flame me, because Cindy has asked...k?

Yes, I am disappointed w/my RNY.  More so I'm disappointed with myself and the RNY.

If you really, really, REALLY look @ yourself, and be honest.  Answer these quesitons: Can you REALLY exercise everyday to stay at your goal weight or to get to your goal weight?  Can you REALLY never drink with a straw?   Can you really do everything they've told you to do, and nothing that they've told you not to do, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?  You don't have to answer here, just answer to yourself.

I remember going down your road 9 years ago.  I was ready to make the commement.  100% I honestly believed that it was do-able for me.  I should have known better.  It seem like can't stick to anything.   I didn't "Learn" how to handle my life and body during the 1 year honeymoon period.  I regret that the most.

So yes, LEARNING a new way of life is KEY to your success!

I've proved to myself, because my pouch is still small, and I'm still @ 280, that tells me, it's not the portion of food, it's the food.

So I now know, I need malabsorption as well as restriction.  That's why now, I'm trying to get the DS.  If I had that avaliable to me 9 years ago, I would have done that in the first place, and not risk my life, and my mother's daugher's life, to go through this a 2nd time.  Mom don't need any more gray hair! HA!

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other.  But for me, DS is the way to go.  It gives you everything you need, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to succeed.

If you want to know more about the DS, go to www.dsfacts.com and read up.  Also you are welcome to the DS Fourm to ask any questions you'd like.

Please look at every option out there, and pick the one RIGHT FOR YOU.  Get correct info on all procedures, I'm by NO WAY an expert on the DS or even ther RNY for that matter.   Just a long time RNY'er.

That's my $.02

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

Katrina B.
on 12/13/08 11:16 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
On December 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM Pacific Time, ladydi1970 wrote:
oK, no one flame me, because Cindy has asked...k?

Yes, I am disappointed w/my RNY.  More so I'm disappointed with myself and the RNY.

If you really, really, REALLY look @ yourself, and be honest.  Answer these quesitons: Can you REALLY exercise everyday to stay at your goal weight or to get to your goal weight?  Can you REALLY never drink with a straw?   Can you really do everything they've told you to do, and nothing that they've told you not to do, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?  You don't have to answer here, just answer to yourself.

I remember going down your road 9 years ago.  I was ready to make the commement.  100% I honestly believed that it was do-able for me.  I should have known better.  It seem like can't stick to anything.   I didn't "Learn" how to handle my life and body during the 1 year honeymoon period.  I regret that the most.

So yes, LEARNING a new way of life is KEY to your success!

I've proved to myself, because my pouch is still small, and I'm still @ 280, that tells me, it's not the portion of food, it's the food.

So I now know, I need malabsorption as well as restriction.  That's why now, I'm trying to get the DS.  If I had that avaliable to me 9 years ago, I would have done that in the first place, and not risk my life, and my mother's daugher's life, to go through this a 2nd time.  Mom don't need any more gray hair! HA!

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other.  But for me, DS is the way to go.  It gives you everything you need, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to succeed.

If you want to know more about the DS, go to www.dsfacts.com and read up.  Also you are welcome to the DS Fourm to ask any questions you'd like.

Please look at every option out there, and pick the one RIGHT FOR YOU.  Get correct info on all procedures, I'm by NO WAY an expert on the DS or even ther RNY for that matter.   Just a long time RNY'er.

That's my $.02
Great advice.

I don't want to **** anyone off but I am noticing more and more who just cannot keep it off or are struggling to stay at a normal BMI w/ their RNY.
OliviaD
on 12/14/08 12:45 am - MN
so what happens if you have to have your gallblader removed?  Galstones are common in rapid weight loss.  Will that instine be connected to nothing then?  Reading the dsfacts scares me.  With an RNY, my surgeon said he can put my stomach back together.  Also, I am the kind of person who would need the dumping otherwise I would eat a package of cookies.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/08 6:15 am - Woodbridge, VA
Why would you want your stomach put back together? With the DS, you will have a fully functioning normal stomach, just smaller. Ther part that is removed is NEVER needed. You keep your pyloric valve in place and continuing to do its job (regulate the flow of food from stomach to intestines) unlike with the RNY.

Gallstones ARE common in rapid weight loss, which is why some surgeons remove the gall bladder during the weight loss surgery, and others prescribe a drug you take for about 6 mmonths after your surgery to prevent gall stones from forming. This is the same for both RNY and DS.

And don't rely on dumping--only about 40% of RNYers experience dumping long term. You'll need to have a plan in place in case you are among the other 60%.
happy girl
on 12/10/08 11:15 am, edited 12/10/08 11:16 am
There are a lot of people here disappointed with their RNY on this board.  IF you go to the main board or the RNY you will find bunches of people extremely happy.

I will echo Di and say this..It's for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.  Not just the 12-18 weight loss window, or the  2/3/4 years where you will feel and look amazing (hopefully )  Every surgery is a tool - but please remember it's for forever.

Good Luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/08 11:23 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Yes I followed my instructions for 6 months.  I lost from 200 to 170 in 3 months and stalled.  I struggled the next 5 lbs off.  I had an upper gi because I was always hungry.  My stoma was 20 mm.  I have very accurate diet records.  I never drink from straws.  i don't drink 30 minutes before and after meals.  I can't drink soda for urology reasons.  I swim 40 lengths a night almost every day.  I trained for and completed a triathlon and actually gained 5 lbs back.  After my stoma was measured at 20mm it really didn't matter anymore.  I am able to maintain 165 lbs only because I eat a ton of vegetables and exercise a lot.  When I eat junk food (I am a party and vacation eater and never dumped) I gain weight quickly.  Last Christmas I gained 10 lbs.  I always have very high labs so I assume my bypass is pretty short, I know I was given a 2 oz pouch,  I know my surgeon used a large stoma hole punch on me.  I actually lost 110 lbs before surgery and gained back 30 before I qualified for surgery.  I have honestly failed at the ultimate diet.  It is very hard to admit that so I just yo-yo along.  I have my diet plan B on my profile page.  It keeps me out of the obese bmi range.  I am seeing my surgeon in January.  I hope he can help me.  Daisy
Most Active