New

Medic636
on 12/9/08 10:48 am
Hi ... I am new to the forum and considering having a revison.  I has GBP in 2004 and ended up having scar tissue form over the openeing and the surgeon had to go in and dialate the opening. Needless to say with that came increase hunger and eventually weight gain. I also became depressed feeling like I failed because even though the surgeon had to dialate the opening, once the weight started coming back - I went back to my old eating habbits. 
I was just wondering if anyone else went thru something similar and ended up having the LAP  BAND proceedure?  My insurance will only cover LAP BAND and is it usually a big struggle to get insurance companies to cover  the surgery if you previously had WLS (even if it was done in another state and another insurance company)?
Thanks for you help!!!    I am really at a loss right now!

Lorie2
on 12/10/08 5:09 am
Hi there,

Your story is exactly like mine. I am in search of a revision. My Doctor doesn't do them. I was checking in to the stomaphyx but what I hear, It doesn't work real well. I am also looking to get a band over my stoma. Or maybe The DS. Depends what my insurance will do. I am still in the research part. Keep in touch I very interested in what your going to do. Boy, I can't believe someone sounds so much like me!
Lori
Medic636
on 12/10/08 9:50 am

Hi Lori!  Thanks for responding.  My current insurance will only cover the LAP-Band, and I did find a surgeon. I have a pretty significant medical history including sleep apnea and heart attack. I have an appointment early Feb to see the surgeon I am sure I will have a lot more answers then.  Just very nervous about going thru this again and hoping I am making the right decision!
I will be sure to keep you updated!  You do the same !!!!  THANKS !!!
Angie

Jarvis123
on 12/10/08 10:16 am

Hi Girls,

I can relate. I had DS 7 years ago. After a stoke (at the age of 41), I got out of my new habits and slowly over the last 3 years went back to old habits and stretched my pouch way out. I have gained about 50 pounds back over the last 3 years.
I am scheduled to have the Lap Band put in on Friday with Dr Ortiz. This is an opportunity for a second chance. I have a huge appetite and this will help me get it back under control. I have found NO ONE (who has had DS then LB) else who will post about this. I can now understand why. There is a lot of critisism that has come my way....However, far more support!

Please feel free to email me.
Cindy
[email protected]

Medic636
on 12/10/08 8:26 pm
Cindy,
GOOD LUCK FRIDAY !!!!!!  Be sure to keep us all posted on your progress
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/08 3:25 am - Brampton, Canada
Cindy, you are the first person I have heard of that is considering a revision to a band after a ds.  I can understand the pouch restretching but are you saying the malabsorption is no longer working either?   I don't think anyone has the right to criticize you for posting about struggling and I admire your honesty.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Jarvis123
on 12/11/08 3:38 am
Hi Donna,

I am passed the consideration part.....I'm having surgery tomorrow!
You are correct, there aren't many of us, and that are willing to talk about it.
My appetite is so large that I simply need help with restriction. When I had my DS 7 years ago, the surgeon said he would leave my pouch larger than usual, because I "only had 90 pounds to lose".....which I never lost. I lost 85, but have gained back 50 over the last 3 years.
One week after DS surgery I ate 3/4 of a grill chicken sandwich.....and wasn't stuffed.
I would have preferred to have a revision to my pouch, but at a cost of $22,000, just wasn't a viable option.
Thank you for the kind wishes and support. I'm older, wiser and just need one more chance!

All my best,
Cindy
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/08 4:17 am - Brampton, Canada
Cindy , keep us informed and best wishes!   Make sure you have a place lined up to do your aftercare fills as I see you are having surgery in Mexico.   I love my revision to the lap band but it only works if you get to good restriction and keep it maintained.

Best wishes,
Jarvis123
on 12/11/08 4:27 am
 I have my first fill already scheduled for 1/23.
I brought my 30 y/o son to Mexico last April for the Lap band. Dr. Ortiz and staff were amazing!

Thanks again Donna, and congratulations on your success!!!!
Cindy
(deactivated member)
on 12/11/08 10:38 am - Brampton, Canada
Thanks great Cindy, I have since read your latest posts on here and now see that your son had the banding.  Glad his experience was awesome!
Most Active