ENDOSCOPIC REVISION PROCEDURES QUESTION

reenieb
on 12/9/08 1:25 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi everyone. Here's my question: for those of you that have had a "revision" done via endoscopy - I believe these procedures are rOSE, reSTORE, and Stomaphyx - any others that I'm missing? - did this procedure work for you? Was it successful? In order to best answer my question, I will define success by your having lost at least 50% of the weight you wanted to lose by having the endoscopic revision procedure done, and you are successfully keeping that lost weight off. DID IT WORK FOR YOU? Feel free to share the specifics of your procedure: the type of procedure, when you had it, how much weight you wanted to lose, how much weight you've lost, was it successful. Thanks. Maureen
pepsi98
on 12/9/08 2:41 am - Norwich, CT
On December 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM Pacific Time, reenieb wrote:
Hi everyone. Here's my question: for those of you that have had a "revision" done via endoscopy - I believe these procedures are rOSE, reSTORE, and Stomaphyx - any others that I'm missing? - did this procedure work for you? Was it successful? In order to best answer my question, I will define success by your having lost at least 50% of the weight you wanted to lose by having the endoscopic revision procedure done, and you are successfully keeping that lost weight off. DID IT WORK FOR YOU? Feel free to share the specifics of your procedure: the type of procedure, when you had it, how much weight you wanted to lose, how much weight you've lost, was it successful. Thanks. Maureen
I had Stompahyx 2/1/08...lost 17 lbs due to post op liquid diet and then gained it all back plus about 25 lbs more!  NO....it did NOT work!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

reenieb
on 12/9/08 2:57 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks for your response; I should tell everyone as well that I had the reStore procedure done by Dr. Thompson, out of Brigham & Young in Boston, April, 2008 - my results are identical to yours - lost approximately 16 lbs. very quickly due to the post-op liquid phase diet (10 days) - it was nothing like the liquid phase immediately following my original gastric bypass surgery; with the endoscopic procedure (although declared a complete success by Dr. Thompson) I was starving myself to death - constantly ravenously hungry, but I endured for almost 2 weeks when I nearly passed out. I gained the weight back, and a few more pounds, as soon as I started eating regular food again. Any others? Please, please post your story - this is so important!!! By the way, I'm sorry (what's your name?) and I know how you feel - we're both in CT, let me know if you want to talk. Maureen
pepsi98
on 12/14/08 3:10 am - Norwich, CT
On December 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM Pacific Time, reenieb wrote:
Thanks for your response; I should tell everyone as well that I had the reStore procedure done by Dr. Thompson, out of Brigham & Young in Boston, April, 2008 - my results are identical to yours - lost approximately 16 lbs. very quickly due to the post-op liquid phase diet (10 days) - it was nothing like the liquid phase immediately following my original gastric bypass surgery; with the endoscopic procedure (although declared a complete success by Dr. Thompson) I was starving myself to death - constantly ravenously hungry, but I endured for almost 2 weeks when I nearly passed out. I gained the weight back, and a few more pounds, as soon as I started eating regular food again. Any others? Please, please post your story - this is so important!!! By the way, I'm sorry (what's your name?) and I know how you feel - we're both in CT, let me know if you want to talk. Maureen
My name is Sue and I would love to talk!  I just had a band placed over my old stapling from 1982 on Wednesday. 
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

PekinSal
on 12/9/08 5:22 am - UK
I had revision to DS from band done lap - not quite sure if you want me included in this?

Just in case, I'll tell you anyway! I've lost  71% EWL after 8 months.

DS revision from failed lapband

reenieb
on 12/9/08 5:34 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi there - boy, I'm not quite sure what all the letters and abbreviations stand for - but my question is specifically for people who have had endoscopic revisions - procedures where they go down your throat with a long metal rod and snip and tuck or sew and staple that way. Not for banding or any other kind of open surgery. It doesn't sound like you had an endoscopic procedure. But congrats on your weight loss success! Can you clarify what all of this means? "DS from band done lap" - I have no clue what that means. And "71% EWL" - ???
PekinSal
on 12/9/08 5:41 am - UK
Sorry sorry - I was mixing up endoscopic with laparoscopic!

So no, I wasn't done endo (can't type that too often) so please ignore...!

DS is duodenal switch weight loss surgery - sleeve stomach, rerouted intestines, restriction and malabsorbtion surgery. I had the lapband put in a few years ago, it didn't work, so I had a revision to DS instead. If you're procedures aren't working its one of the other options you might have (there are others too)

EWL stands for 'excess weight lost'  - I need to lose 126lbs, I've lost 89, so 89/126x100 = 71%. Makes it easier to compare weight loss between people who started at different weights!

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 6:00 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Hi Maureen-We had the Restore procedure at the same time.  I was done by Dr. Catalano as the lead in to his trial.  He is an exceptional GI doc.  Another doctor recommended my mother-in-law go to him for a stint in her pancreas to ease her pain as she died from pancreatic cancer. because he  (also a good doctor) could not get it in.  Dr. Catalano succeeded.  He is in the best doctors in America for over 10 years.  It therefore didn't surprise me that all 3 of his patients did fine.  The other 2 girls had all their stitches in place at the 6 month follow up appt.  I had 3 of the 4 stitches in place.  I weigh 165 with a BMI of 28.  I started at 186 and got down to 160.  My stoma was 16mm 6 months out.  I still think there is something wrong with my stoma.  I am just beginning to look into having another scope.  I want to make sure the stoma is ok before pursuing plastics.  I can easily gain weight now if I let go for a minute.  I have to follow my "plan B" diet on my profile page and eat 6 meals a day.  When I miss a meal I am starving.  I also think my blood sugars go up too quickly after I eat.  I just want to be sure my mechanics are still ok before having any PS done.  My bariatric surgeon will do lapbands over the RNY if the stoma fails.  He now has other tricks up his sleeve that he did not have last year when I sought the Restore procedure.  I hope you are well.  Take care, Daisy
happy girl
on 12/9/08 11:19 am, edited 12/9/08 11:22 am
I had originally thought I could lose 26 pounds in 26 weeks (the length of the study), but I really had no set goal, just to keep any weight off that I lost.  In Feb at the beginning of the trial I was 196.2 at the end I was 184.2.  Last week at my dr's office I was 182.9...not spectacular but it helped me get on track...and whether it's real or in my head - I have more restriction than I felt beforehand.  I am 5 years post op rny and 2 years post rny revision.

I haven't heard of the Stomaphyx working for anyone...set me straight if it has.  I don't know how the ROSE pts are doing.  I hope people will post good and bad results.  I personally don't think there is a good endoscopic revision out there...If you want more restriction - Lapband!  I am not sure how much weight loss you need, but I think converting to a DS is the way to go.  I would have if I could have.

good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

PekinSal
on 12/10/08 6:44 am - UK
I'm getting the impression that some of the endo stuff 'kind of' works - does anyone think this is step one for the surgeons in finding a more successful procedure?

I know some of it is experimental but it would be a shame if they got 50% there and didn't develop it to be better - the idea of not being majorly reoperated on sounds a good reason to keep trying with it.

Most Active