What was the one thing that started your thoughts to do a revision

wings
on 12/12/08 11:14 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

Hello Shelia
Did you have RNY or what procedure did u have.  I do know that lap band does a great job in stoping wt gain and getting you back in control when you have had a RNY in the past.  I do not know anyone personally that has done this.  I have only read post on the message board and other research about it.  I am sorry I could be of more help.  I am here to talk anytime. 
Wings

SHEILA4
on 12/12/08 11:29 am - NEWTON, TX

HELLO WINGS,
 I HAD MY STOMACHE STAPPLED IN 1999.   I LOT ALMOST 80 LBS.   BUT I HAVE SLOWLY GAINED 50 LBS BACK.  I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HEAR  SOME ADVICE FROM SOME OF YOU THAT HAS HAD SURGERY IN MEXICO. I AM SELF PAY . LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU..             SHEILA

wings
on 12/12/08 12:26 pm - Fort Myers Beach , FL

Hi Shelia
I am 3-years out with lap band I have lost 120 pounds but I have regained and lost the same damned 20 pounds over and over again the past year.  My band has done its job.  I am now understanding the stats of how some people need the malabsorption part to loose more wt and I am looking into DS.  I need more cause I need to loose another 100+ pounds.

Wings

SHEILA4
on 12/13/08 2:18 am - NEWTON, TX
THANK YOU WINGS. I HAD THE VBG (STOMACHE STAPPLED) . I HAVE TALKE TO A FEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD THE LAP-BAND AS A REVISIONS FOR THE VBG. ALL I NEED TO LOSE IS ABOUT 80 LBS. I WOULD BE HAPPY AT THAT WEIGHT. I STILL WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO SOMEONE THAT HAS HAD SURGERY DONE IN MEXICO . WINGS IF U KNOW OF ANYBODY PLEASE SEND THEM MY WAY,
wings
on 12/13/08 11:58 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I am sorry I don't know anyone but hand out here and keep asking and someone will talk with you.  Good luck
Wings
Kathy H.
on 12/14/08 2:35 pm - Kent, WA
I had a VBG 22 years ago, and lost 135 pounds. Over the course of the following 8 years, I regained nearly every pound I lost. I finally said to myself "ENOUGH!" I'd done something as drastic as WLS and *still* I was fat. I finally "forgave myself" for being fat and just lived my life. I maintained my weight at about 270 for a very long time, and traveled the world at that weight. I didn't let it stop me.

Then a few things happened, and all within the last three years. First, my knees began to show the wear of a life of walking around as a morbidly obese person. Then, my mom died of lung cancer at age 69. She and I both come from VERY strong stock. Most of the women in my family live into their 90s, but here was my mom ... gone before she was 70 ... because of her life choices. That got me thinking. My mom defeated her strong genes with smoking, and I was doing the same with my weight.

So... the thought was sort of hanging there for a while. And then, about four months ago, I thought I was having a heart attack. I seriously did. It turned out to be arthritis in my neck, and all my chest muscles were tensing up to protect against the pain. But it dawned on me, then, that at age 47 and at a weight of about 300 pounds, it easily COULD have been a heart attack.

That's when  I seriously started considering a revision, and agressively researching it as an option. I began thinking that the RNY was my only option. Then someone ... and I wish I could remember who, because I'd love to thank them... posted in one of my inquiries, "hey, Kathy, have you considered the DS?"

I hadn't even heard of it, but once I started doing my research, it became very evident very quickly that *that* was the surgery that was going to give me the very best chance for long-term success with the highest quality of life, post-op. I would not feel as deprived with the DS as I would with the RNY, and I know myself well enough to know how *key* that is to my success, long-term.

Read yourself cross-eyed ... research until you're seeing medical papers in your sleep. Look long and hard at why your original surgery failed, and be HONEST with yourself about what you're capable of doing for the rest of your life.

Good luck in your decision.
wings
on 12/14/08 2:40 pm - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Well Kathy
I am reasearching my butt off its a wonder I haven't lost wt doing this.  I really think DS is what I want now I have to get insurance, surgeon and date in place while trying to get over having another surgery period.  I really appretiate your post more than you think.  I cannot wait to get this over with.
Wings
Most Active