What was the one thing that started your thoughts to do a revision

wings
on 12/9/08 5:54 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I never in my life thought I would ever want or even need a revision when I got banded.  Now I cry all the time and fee like the same failure I was in just doing dieting on my own before my lap band.  Wow, this really hurts.  I have followed the rules most of the time and I have excercised.  I have not been perfect but I can tell you this.  I eat a hell of a lot less then I ever did before.   Family and friends notice that I don't eat nie what I used to.  I feel like portion control is a joke just like starvation diets and pills.  I really thought this was my tool for success but it is not giving me the results I thought it would.  I did not get my lap band to force myself to live on 500 cal a day the rest of my life and I don't want to strave.  It would be ok if I did not get hungry and weak.  I need to know what the straw that broke the camels back was for people to have revision because first time around did not work.
Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 12/9/08 11:15 am - Miami, FL
I got frustrated after 2 years out with the band and all I've loss was 27-30 lbs.  Although I have had reservations about the gastric bypass, I recently decided to go through it and achieve my inital goal.  Needless to say, I am scheduled to have surgery on 12/22.  Don't beat yourself up / starve to death, research the different types of revision and stay posted on this forum to get the inside scoop!
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

wings
on 12/10/08 6:48 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Wow, thanks for you support.  Sometimes you just feel so alone in your misery even though you know there are other people out there suffering from the same thing.  I have total faith that Gastric bypass will help you meet your goal.  I am hoping that if I do a revision I can keep my band as a tool not to gain my wt back after reaching goal.  Good luck and call on me anytime for support.  You are in my prayers. 
Wings
DMS923
on 12/11/08 5:44 am - NY
You are not alone - the band was not good for me, I had two of them - over 6 years time and two bands later I ended up only going from 205 to 191....lost, gained, rebanded, lost, gained.  I gained cause they had to keep it un-filled due to the severe reflux and hernia issues. 

I had to get that band out - even if I didn't revise to RNY, the band had to go. I was not going to go back to 205 even though I was pretty close, had to get back on track to a better life.  I am down to 168 in 5 weeks and could not be happier.  I love knowing also that there isnt this thing inside me anymore.

I have to say that it is hard to live on 600 calories a day - considering the amount I used to take in. My stomach does not need more, my head does and that is harder than controlling hunger, at least for me.

My head loves to eat, my stomach too, but when I am bored, its "what can I eat"..
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
wings
on 12/11/08 6:22 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Wow I won't do a band again.  Once is enough.  I am looking at DS, but I am researching everything.  I will not give up.  I am so happy for you that are finally getting it off.
Wings
happy girl
on 12/9/08 11:28 am
The clue for me was the weight gain  and eating like a fiend and nver being full.

I don't know what it's like having a band, but I work in a clinic and from what I see the best successes come from those with a surgeon with a good fill protocol.  I am sure you know this.  I have you though about having all the fluild out and starting over with your fillls to try and find your sweet spot?  Depending on your band you can start with 4 or 4.5 cc's and go in for regular .5 to 1 cc fills until you get to the right place.   Just a thought

Good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

wings
on 12/10/08 6:54 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
I did get a complete unfill for 3-months and then we started the fills up again and right in front of us on the screen during a fluroscope I my stoma would just close completely not letting anything thru and the NP and I cannot figure out why this is happening.  My pouch is not streched and my band has excellant placement.  I have read though on here that some people have found that they have to have malabsorption to loose.  Just cutting back on portion size doesn't get the job doen for them.  Maybe I am one of those people who knows.  But I am going to keep excercising and I am calling in AM to make appointment with Dr. Curry and not fill nurse this time to discuss options that he thinks would be the best.  Thank you for responsding with support.
Wings
happy girl
on 12/10/08 11:04 am
Oh, I feel so badly for you.  I wish you well, it sounds like you have a good doc!  That is always a plus!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

wings
on 12/11/08 6:19 am, edited 12/11/08 6:25 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Dr. Curry is the best and I trust him, but I have not seen him a whole lot.  I have been working with one of his NP's and I do like her.  She and I just can't figure out why my stomach closes off when I get a fill even a tiny one.  After a while you kinda get tired of going thru this.  That is one of many reasons why I am thinking about revision.
Thank you for your support I really need lots of it right now. 
Wings
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 2:46 pm, edited 12/9/08 11:13 pm - Togo

Most Active