If you knew then what you know now.....

ShilohMN
on 12/8/08 12:11 pm
This question is for all post-ops who are over 2 years out who have side effects from their surgeries.
I have am considering WLS, but I haven't made up my mind as far as what type. I need to lose about 125 lbs. Would you have the surgery again? Which surgery did you have, and would you pick a different kind if you could do it again tomorrow? thanks
petsitter
on 12/9/08 2:34 am - Murfreesboro, TN
Hi. I had Lapband over 2 years ago, in the first 3 months I lost 55 lbs. I was following the eating rules, and exercising. Walking 2-4 miles a day, which was tremendous for me since I started at almost 300lbs. Then, I sort of gave up because I was constantly exhausted (no exercise high ever came near me) and sore from working out. I gained back 85lbs in the same 12 months. The band was helpful in that the surgery itself caused my abdomen to be so swollen and sore that I lost 16lbs within the first week. That jump started my weight loss. Problem was though that at 55lbs down, I started getting attention from a few men here and there and was not prepared for that. You know when you get so large, you become invisible to lots of folks, and even though it's sick and twisted, that had become my comfort zone. I started piling the pounds back on. (Turns out I have issues with men.) I defeated my band. It's utterly devastating. I am in therapy for this stuff, but I think it is so important to be real about these surgeries. I know of several people with both RNY and band who have sabotaged themselves. So... you have to ask yourself, as you really ready to be noticed? I am struggling right now because I am so desperate to know life as a "normal" sized person. To ride a bike, a motorcycle and a rollercoaster, to go swimming in public, to bungee jump and go skydiving. To travel to Costa Rica and zipline through the jungle canopy. All things I cannot do at my size. It's so unbearable to be this and yet I feed my disease as tenderly as I would an orphaned kitten. I get so desperate for help and yet I have to feed the serotonin high I get from icecream. I would love to find an adult outpatient program for eating disorders that take Medicare. If anyone knows a place please let me know. (Remuda Ranch and Renfrow don't take Medicare.) I am considering revision surgery to get gastric bypass, knowing that the tools are different from the band, but I don't want to waste the resources and blow it again. I don't want to abuse my body in that way, and yet I'm abusing it constantly now by feeding it what it wants. I feel so out of control and desperate.
PekinSal
on 12/9/08 5:28 am - UK
I had a band for 2.5 years. If I was choosing again I would choose something else:

a) I didn't lose much weight with the band - I had 7 fills, and ended up with a choice of too much restriction or not enough
b) It caused throat problems - reflux, PBs, and I grew an enlarged 'pouch' over my band (I think I have a stretchy stomach)
c) I suck at diets, and the band needs the most discipline. RNY is next easiest, and DS is the easiest of all.
d) DS cures 98% of type 2 diabetes from the week of the operation. I was diabetic and didn't like it.

If I was 2.5 years back I would have had the DS - hindsights a wonderful thing. You pick the best you think to suit you, but sometimes you can't tell whether its the right thing or not - each WLS works for some people. But each WLS fails some of them too. Good luck

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

ladydi1970
on 12/9/08 8:24 am, edited 12/9/08 10:19 pm - GA
I had RNY done 9 years ago.

Would I do that surgery again?  No (had the opportunity w/insurance paying 100%) because I know now, that surgery isn't right FOR ME.  (Edited to: that THIS surgery isn't right FOR ME)

This is why: I'm not disciplined enough.  They told me "you won't be able to eat sweets after this" Well, of course I had to prove them wrong.  I wasn't even a sweet eater until they told me I "couldn't" have it.  They told me "don't drink with your meals" again...had to prove them wrong.
I totally blew my surgery.  I could not comply with the rules.  I have no one to blame but myself. And let's face it, if I could, I MIGHT not need WLS in the first place. (But probably would )

Everyone is different, but for me, I can't follow the "don't eat this, don't eat that" rules...well, I can but not every single day.

Now, I'm trying to get a revision to DS.  Apparently the "no no foods" gives you bad, bad, stinky gas (again not for everyone).  So for me, if I eat something and it makes me sick in the bathroom for 20 mins, I'll eat it again.  But if it gives me gas...well heck, I won't touch it ever again!

I promised myself and the Lord, that if given the opportunity, I would LEARN to like water, I would LEARN to at least go for walks, and I would LEARN the right foods to eat.  I've been on WW for a year now.. and well, lets just say, I still got a BUNCH of learning to do.  My heart just isn't in it.  I wish we could just download the info into our brains, like in the MATRIX.

Anyway....that's my story.

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

happy girl
on 12/9/08 11:32 am
Had RNY, would change to DS...If I had 125lbs to lose I choose DS

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

jillagin2000
on 12/10/08 6:13 am
Since I didn't know about DS when I was choosing and I chose the Lap Band and lost my insurance (so couldn't get fills for less than $250-500 a pop) I think I'd choose RNY if I had it to do over again.  My mom is 7 years out and at or near goal with few regrets or struggles.  I am right now pursuing revision (my band slipped) and will settle for RNY if that's what I can get but all my research right now is telling me that DS is the superior procedure FOR ME.

It's not even an option to not have surgery.
vitalady
on 12/18/08 5:10 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
14 years

distal RNY, so pouch of RNY, but intestinal arrangement of a DS, for example.

I would do surgery again. I did in 2000, but just to repair this oldie.

Given the choices today: rny proximal; VSG; lap-band; other restrictive; BPD; BPD/DS............ I'd choose a DS, and customize it the way I want it to be. You SAID, if I knew then what I know NOW...........

But if you added back in the choice of my distal RNY, not many docs do this one, I'd grab this again in a moment. I've had 100% wt loss with it; 3 small regains were my own fault; doing better nutritionally than most ppl I know. Our launch program was more sophisticated back i***** than most are today!

Except for people in WA, AZ or OH, this model is largely unavailable, so I'd choose a DS and customize it to be as much like this one as possible.

And if I had some awful accident that messed up my guts, I'd do it again. Tomorrow. This afternoon. Put it back the way it works. No hesitation. (also no good insurance, so we're talking in theory!)

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active